Outside grow

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
1646084584660.png

there is some debate on which is better for plants , hydrolyzed or emulsified?

Hydrolyzed Fish Fertilizer
This product is an excellent source of N-P-K (nitrogen, phosphorous, potassium) and contains trace minerals. Hydrolyzed means that it has been cold processed, which is very important.

Fish emulsion is heat processed, meaning that a lot of the nutrients and amino acids are totally destroyed during processing, leaving you with a product that has little nutritional value and a smell that is memorable.

Hyrdrolyzed, on the other hand, keeps all its nutrients and proteins and allows them to be readily available to the plant. It also makes those nutrients water soluble, so you can use them for foliar spraying or drip irrigation, with no worries of clogging. Because it does contain many minerals, it helps to keep the soil balanced and, in fact, improves soil quality just like an amendment. The N-P-K are 4-2-2, still fairly low, but used a little more frequently, I have seen this product do just as much for plants as a 20-20-20 based fertilizer.

In the end, the “competition” between the two kinds of fish fertilizers, complete with varying claims of relative effectiveness, seems a little silly. We see them as complimentary products, rather than fertilizers directly competing with each other. 5-1-1 Fish emulsion is great for a quick boost of Nitrogen, however being so high in Nitrogen, it’s not necessarily ideal alone as an everyday fertilizer.

Hydrolyzed fish fertilizers, like the 2-4-1 Neptune’s Harvest we’ve mentioned before, seem a bit more balanced and suitable for everyday use, therefore in our eyes they fall into a different category of use than fish emulsions. If anything, hydrolyzed fish ferts may be a little shy on nitrogen for optimum vegetative growth when growing hungry herbs like cannabis, so the occasional boost of from it’s 5-1-1 “cousin” is usually greatly appreciated.

I use it in my garden and my veggies love it. Not sure about the rest. I'll go with what works. Hasn't ever caused me any problems so far. But to each his own. I have no idea which is better because I haven't used anything else but the one I attached.

Well it was a very nice grow last year. Hope you will post your grow this year too. I just dropped seeds for my spring grow inside/outside. Very excited to see how my plants will grow outside here. I know there will be different issues. Looks like you have a beautiful sunny spot for them
What state are you in.

Good luck JW and SubGirl with your outdoor grows!

I like fish ferts outdoors as long as I can keep the raccoons out of my garden!…been there done that in gorilla grows in Oklahoma back in the 90’s….learned the hard way as those feckers dug up several plants looking for fish…lol

i love worm castings and worm tea outdoors..very gentle on the plants , no burns whatsoever!

cheers!

Latest posts

Back