Phenos? Huh? What?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was going to buy Soma's book when out X-mas shopping, but didn't cause it was like 18 bucks, and it was just a thin paperback, but I really like the stuff I have read of his in magazine articles...he puts a spiritual quality into his growing...I like that. I know the book to, probably has a bunch of growing 101 type stuff that I already have in dozens of other books, but being a book collector, I guess I will have to buy it eventually. Borders Books had it on the shelf.

I know that the Cinderella 99 was developed with male pollen from all avaliable males in a set. I have read some about this, but still don't quite understand it. because it still only takes 1 sperm to 1 ovarie, but I think it has to do with increasing your chances...I will read more, and I will check out Soma's book. Thanks for the info!

I know that the Cinderella 99 was developed with male pollen from all avaliable males in a set.
thus why there are a couple of phenos. such as the pineapple ;)
but not a super wide variety that you get with run of the mill hybrids. C99 did have a bunch of work put into it and others are still working with it ;)
Was a very well designed strain IMO. True breeding (even with true breeding you will still have a couple of pheno expressions but not tons of phenos just a few which is to be expected) mixes well with other strains, just an all around winner.

because it still only takes 1 sperm to 1 ovarie
each calyx is an overie, so by having several males of the same line will pollenate so you will have seeds from all the fathers on one mother. This will broaden the genotype and phenotype expression giving more choices for phenos to lock in. if that makes sense. but this is not to be viewed as like 3-4 phenos per 10 seeds...more like 2-3 phenos per 100 seeds ;) From there you pick which ones are keepers and go into your breeding program. People like Soma, DJ Short spend years upon years developing 1 strain. Where the Hacks will spend 2-3 grows on a strain. True breeding tells all about the breeder ;)

[QUOTE
People like Soma, DJ Short spend years upon years developing 1 strain. Where the Hacks will spend 2-3 grows on a strain. True breeding tells all about the breeder ;)[/QUOTE]

Perhaps less if they come up with a cool name.:holysheep: The hacks that is.

You may come up with some nice phenos in 2 or 3 grows, but to stabilize and develop it, like you said, takes years.

DD

Pheno expression is something that I have always been interested in. Any thoughtful discussion on the subject begins with a solid understanding of genetics, however genetics alone does not fully explain many aspects of pheno expression. If genetics alone were the answer, the vastness of phenotype would not exist. A diploid plant with 10 chromosomes can only combine so many ways. Even at 10 factorial ( 10 x 9 x 8 x 7 x 6 x 5 x 4 x 3 x 2 x 1) the combination is finite. I'm not trying to bring up a sore spot here, but look at hermi's. There is a specific gene that determines sex. Yet the sex of the plant appears to be influenced by other grow factors. Which is why certain chemicals can change the sex of the plant, after sex has already been determined. If it were genetics alone, a hermi's brothers and sisters would all be hermi's as well. Even Mendel's formula for the off spring percentages is not based on genetics alone, but rather on observation, repeated observation. All you have to do is take a bunch of clones, give some to someone who grows organic soil, some clones to someone who grows hydro, and a shoebie. You will see pheno differences in a heart beat.

leafminer said:
What is a shoebie?

I'm old...lol. In this context, its someone new to growing. It actually comes from when people would take the bus from NYC to Atlantic City. It was a time before backpacks, totes, beach bags and the like. People getting off the buses would put all their stuff into shoe boxes. Any one who lived in the area could tell who were tourists by the shoe box. The name shoebie became a local expression for a tourist. Here I chose to use the idea of someone new to growing as a tourists. Wow, no more explanations...honest:eek:

Mutt...this is the reason I leave the breeding to these people...I don't have the time or the space to do it, let alone the knowledge. I will make seeds occasionally from plants. I kept the stinkiest/healthiest male out of 4 for my recent grow of C99/AK47 to make a few seeds. But these are for me, and I understand that I may have some variety with pheno's. I would never consider selling them. I did think about hanging on to any spare pollen though and repeating the process, pollinating chosen daughters with the same pollen, to see what if any stabilizing I can do. I did originally think of saving all 4 males to collect, but 1 is enough of a pita. This subject does interest me, but like Umbra says they possabilities are endless, but it is fun. Thanks for your input guys, this is an interesting topic for me.

Latest posts

Back