Plant maturation & flushing

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There is no method of flushing that would do anything but harm an MJ plant with the exception of flushing the plant in the event of over fertilization.

What I'm attempting to do is educate everyone here so as to avoid time lost and potency lost as a result of this "flushing" myth.

How can flushing harm your plant? and how can it make it lose potency?

"There is no method of flushing that would do anything but harm an MJ plant with the exception of flushing the plant in the event of over fertilization.

What I'm attempting to do is educate everyone here so as to avoid time lost and potency lost as a result of this "flushing" myth.

How can flushing harm your plant? and how can it make it lose potency?"

ok...im sorry brook but to anyone else does this make any sense?

do you mean "how would it not harm your plants?" because you went one way, then another way then back agian....the way that its worded its messing me up. are you backing the flushing or not? LOL

POTUS said:
There is no method of flushing that would do anything but harm an MJ plant with the exception of flushing the plant in the event of over fertilization. What I'm attempting to do is educate everyone here so as to avoid time lost and potency lost as a result of this "flushing" myth.

brookside302 said:
How can flushing harm your plant? and how can it make it lose potency?

It's much more complicated than I think you want to hear, so I'll sum it by saying that the act of flushing sets off a total chemical avalanche of changes in the plant. Most of these changes are detrimental to the plants ability to produce thc. The production of thc during a flush almost comes to a complete halt.

The various hundreds of chemical reactions that are supposed to happen within the plant are altered totally by the flushing. Only the most slowly growing portions of the plant are safe from this terrible toll.

The thc is almost the first thing to stop.

That's just not a good thing!

The plant matter may die a little sooner that way, and maybe it in turn causes an increase in the initial curing speed. Maybe it would make the curing results a tad faster.

But what's the sense in halting the thc production?

Then you have a great smoke with not as good of high as was possible.

trillions of atoms said:
"There is no method of flushing that would do anything but harm an MJ plant with the exception of flushing the plant in the event of over fertilization.

How can flushing harm your plant? and how can it make it lose potency?"

ok...im sorry brook but to anyone else does this make any sense?

do you mean "how would it not harm your plants?" because you went one way, then another way then back agian....the way that its worded its messing me up. are you backing the flushing or not? LOL

The quote that i posted is from POTUS. he is saying flushing can harm ur plant and make it lose potency and i wondering how

i understand completely.... and what i know is...that a plant which is influenced on a decreased diet of nutirients it relys on the batteries it depends on when plants have an imbalance. those nutrients are metabolized turning leaves shades of yellow orange red and purple...thats the natural process of the plant finishing.like all the other plants that change during fall. i know whats natural and non. so keep pumping your buds....

i will continue to flush and rid of what i dont want to smoke.

ive been to college unlike some ppl here and i never pass judgement on another grower unlike some others here. i find results i believe are in the right and i pass them around because i have results :).

great thread! i give full stars.

trillions of atoms said:
i understand completely.... and what i know is...that a plant which is influenced on a decreased diet of nutirients it relys on the batteries it depends on when plants have an imbalance. those nutrients are metabolized turning leaves shades of yellow orange red and purple...thats the natural process of the plant finishing.like all the other plants that change during fall. i know whats natural and non. so keep pumping your buds....

i will continue to flush and rid of what i dont want to smoke.

ive been to college unlike some ppl here and i never pass judgement on another grower unlike some others here. i find results i believe are in the right and i pass them around because i have results :).

great thread! i give full stars.

Sounds to me likes its all person opinion here.. Thanks everyone for your input..
I agree GREAT THREAD

POTUS said:
Two points I have to make. One is that we aren't arguing. We're discussing a theory.

Secondly, a double blind taste test is how this type of issue is settled. Food companies do it all the time.
control group study

A control group study uses a control group to compare to an experimental group in a test of a causal hypothesis. The control and experimental groups must be identical in all relevant ways except for the introduction of a suspected causal agent into the experimental group. If the suspected causal agent is actually a causal factor of some event, then logic dictates that that event should manifest itself more significantly in the experimental than in the control group.

For example, if 'C' causes 'E', when we introduce 'C' into the experimental group but not into the control group, we should find 'E' occurring in the experimental group at a significantly greater rate than in the control group. Significance is measured by relation to chance: if an event is not likely due to chance, then its occurrence is significant.

A double-blind test is a control group test where neither the evaluator nor the subject knows which items are controls.

The purpose of controls and double-blind testing is to reduce error, self-deception and bias.

A taste test is a tool used to gather information about the flavor of a food or product. It may be used by a company to ensure consistency, a manufacturer developing a new product, or a group which is trying to prove a point about the differences, or lack thereof, between two products. There are an assortment of other uses for a taste test, which is often carried out on the corporate level by professional “tasters” who have trained to be impartial and valuable tools in the taste profiling process.

When a taste test is used to compare or contrast foods, it is typically performed blind. In a blind taste test, the tasters do not know what they are tasting. They are offered samples of the product in identical presentations and asked to taste and profile the samples. In a double-blind taste test, the people offering the samples also do not know what they are. This is designed to ensure impartiality, making the end results potentially more valid.

Any sort of edible can be analyzed using a taste test. Some famous taste tests include the regular quality control taste tests performed by a number of companies which want to keep their products consistent and taste tests comparing well known brands of soda. Taste tests have also been performed on everything from water to salt. Often, a taste test illuminates very subtle and complex differences between product formulations, especially when professional tasters are involved.

To run a professional taste test, each taster is typically isolated in a booth. The tasters usually wear no perfumes or scents, and their clothing is laundered in neutral soaps. This is intended to minimize interference with the taste test. Usually a palate cleanser is provided as well, so that each taster can start fresh with each taste. An array of numbered samples are provided, and the taster checks each one, taking notes or making comments about the product.

When a company is gearing up for a major product release, taste tests are very important. A panel of tasters will ultimately determine the formulation of the product, by commenting on flavors and textures they like and do not like. For companies which want to keep their products consistent, a panel of trained tasters familiar with their products is crucial.

People can replicate a taste test at home for fun if they would like to do things like contrast bottled and tap water or experiment with a panel of wines. When conducting a taste test at home, try to avoid biasing the participants. A blind taste test is a great way to do that, and can be accomplished by having an “administrator” fill sample cups out of sight of the participants.

may not of been "arguing" so to speak but you two were still "debating" if i can call it that.

OK but the fact still remains its an opinion on taste and harshness. OPINION.:) :)

I just flushed my plants out last night with a MILD wood ash and sugar mixture.

...They look better already.

After all...it's just water.

LowRider said:
may not of been "arguing" so to speak but you two were still "debating" if i can call it that.

OK but the fact still remains its an opinion on taste and harshness. OPINION.:) :)

Your correct. Each of us has posted our information and of course it can be accepted or not by each person reading it.

That's how this place works.

I don't mean to come off as a stern old man, (even though that's what I am). I'm into science. I've been studying MJ for longer than most on this group have been alive. I enjoy telling people the facts of MJ. I try to dispel the rumors and misconceptions that abound involving MJ.

My Mother used to say something that fits in this context:

"A man convinced against his will, is of the same opinion still"

When faced with argument after presenting facts, it's best to drop it. Further discussion is pointless.

sorry potus you are dead wrong and you cant prove your theroy. flushing is good and many say even required thats my opnion

harvester said:
sorry potus you are dead wrong and you cant prove your theroy. flushing is good and many say even required thats my opnion
..as can noone else.. "prove" their theory.. both sides have stated their 'personal' and some profesional opinions. . each reader will have to or will make their own descision, based on those "opinions"..
No need for mud slinging ;)

I'm with POTUS on this one. Don't see any point in flushing myself.

I just wanted to post this article that was in cannabis culture some time ago

Flushing: pros and cons

Much time and thought has been put into the feeding needs of each part of marijuana's life cycle, yet for some reason the final stages of resin development always seem to be ignored. But the vegetative period of plant growth is only setting the platform for us to produce the trichomes that we are after.

Flushing in particular seems to be something that is over-emphasized by many of today's growers. Many growers "flush" their plants with straight water or clearing agents during the final weeks before harvest in an effort to improve taste and smokeability. The theory is that this forces the plant to use up stored nutrients that may affect these qualities. Although this is certainly true to some extent, what many are forgetting is that not all nutrients can be moved within the plant.

Nitrogen, which is the main factor in poor-tasting bud, can be moved within the plant. If not present in the root zone a plant will take it from the older leaves to support newer growth. Calcium, however, is a nutrient that cannot be moved within the plant, if it is not present in the root zone it is not available for growth. Little research has been done on nutritional requirements of cannabis during the final stages of flowering, but it seems likely that calcium is vital as it is crucial in cell division. A calcium deficiency at later stages could therefore adversely affect trichome production.

This is not as serious of a concern for soil-based growers, as lime or other calcium sources which are mixed into the soil likely will provide sufficient nutrition even while flushing with pure water. But hydroponic growers using very pure water sources with little naturally occurring calcium could have problems. Flushing is certainly a valid technique, but is easily overdone and is not a quick fix for overfeeding earlier in the flower stage.

Some studies have shown that high potassium levels have a negative influence on THC production,4 which would correlate to the general belief that while hemp crops uptake more potassium than phosphorous, the reverse seems to be true for drug and seed cannabis crops.2 A study on how to minimize THC levels in hemp crops showed that THC levels in newer leaf growth decreased as nitrogen levels were increased.5 As no THC measurement was taken from floral clusters we can only speculate that the same would likely hold true in buds. This would also explain the good results that most growers have flushing their plants, as nitrogen is the nutrient most easily flushed from the soil.

With this said, I grow hydro, so I do feel the need to flush. However when I flush i do use Micro, as it provides me with all of the calcium I need, but lets me limit or eradicate all of the macro nutes which in my opinion, are what need to be flushed.

Potassium is a precursor for THC.

More potassium, higher content.

Flushing your crop before harvest of if you feel like you have overfed is recommended by every old timer professional grower and botanists alike.

It usually takes cannabis up to a month to use up all the stored up nutes on it's own, flushing speeds up this process.

I am also speaking from an organic soil indoor operation, I can't speak for hydro.

what do you mean that potassium is the precursor to THC?

I always thought that Potassium was about strong healthy plant and stems and disease/pest resistance.

Is this a proven thing?

harvester said:

Man, I could dig out a 1000 references that prove me right, but you'd probably say that those were all opinions of all those Botanists and not necessarily true.

It's good that you stand up for your convictions.

I'm happy with my beliefs, and you're no doubt happy with yours.

So what do you guys mean by flushing? Is it giving them tons of water or is it just not giving them nutes?

Latest posts

Back