Police Question, please help

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The New Girl

Reaction score
Hi Guys, i had a very bad morning. My brother who lives in another state said he's been trying to reach me for 5 days. He couldn't get a hold of me and called the police to check up on me. I woke up this morning to police in my house at my bedroom door, the landlord lives next door and let them in. They said my brother was worried something happened to me. In the other bedroom are my plants that are a month old. There is a slight smell as well even though it's got a fan and scrubber. Would they have said something if they had found it or could they be wondering what to do? Get a search warrant?
I'm scared but don't know if I should tear it down or not. My dam brother was calling at all the wrong times and my mailbox was full so he couldn't leave a message. You know how big brothers are but he or nobody knows that I'm growing or he wouldn't have sent them, well i hope!
Anyway what should i do? Could they have arrested me even though I didn't let them in?

they can't legally arrest you for that, they can take you to jail but any lawyer will get you out of it for unallowed consent. its when someone else consents to the police entering your house and finding anything because you were un aware of the situation or what was going on, and they had no real reason to come in out side the landlord opening the door.

if that makes sense?

yeah, if they smelled it and found them then youd be in jail. if they did find it youd be out of trouble anyway because they didnt have a warrant for the plants.

i wouldnt worry.

Cops are not stupid, of course they knew exactly what it was, want to stay out of jail?, bin those babies, you WILL have a re visit, do not fool yourself, as for your brother calling at all the wrong times and getting no contact, if you were wanting to contact him and got no reply, would you be concerned too? he is your blood kin, he was worried and trying to make sure you ok, its not his fault your mail box was full, its yours, so dont drop bricks on your brother, this is all your fault, no one elses.

true i would keep those babies hush hush for a cupple days try to find a new home or something for now

HippyInEngland said:
Cops are not stupid, of course they knew exactly what it was, want to stay out of jail?, bin those babies, you WILL have a re visit, do not fool yourself, as for your brother calling at all the wrong times and getting no contact, if you were wanting to contact him and got no reply, would you be concerned too? he is your blood kin, he was worried and trying to make sure you ok, its not his fault your mail box was full, its yours, so dont drop bricks on your brother, this is all your fault, no one elses.

Oh, i know it's not my brothers fault, it's my own, he was just concerned. Do you think they will get a warrant? I'm just wondering why they didn't arrest me now if they knew?

trillions of atoms said:
yeah, if they smelled it and found them then youd be in jail. if they did find it youd be out of trouble anyway because they didnt have a warrant for the plants.

i wouldnt worry.

Gee this is tough. Some say to get rid of them and then maybe not. I'm confused. I don't dare to burn one cause then i'll be paranoid!

putting myself in the cops shoes for a minute, this is what i see. get a call for a possible missing persons. track down the landlord to open the place up. open the door, and looking for fowl play, or an odor that usually accompanies missing persons found in the home. now i have to write a dang report saying that we found her safe and sound.

that being said, it's an entirely different investigation into your grow. did they inquire about drug use or anything, or were they just ho-hum, back to business?

cops on the spot like that are just like normal people sometimes missing the details, and probably just more concerned with your well being, than what the house may or may not smell like to them...

depending on the conversation you had with them right after that i wouldn't be terribly concerned... most judges aren't going to issue an inhouse warrant because of a faint smell during a missing person investigation...

Safe is better than sorry. And yes legally they would have to throw it out because of the circumstances in which they entered...however not all LEO are honest, I think you need to take the point of view that they are not going to be honest and get rid of them. Safe is better than sorry and freedom is better than a cage. And the most imprtant thing is, you can always start over.

I was almost sent to jail for something I didn't do, I did a lot of things and the cops got sick of me...I guess. None of my arrests were for drugs (I'm an alchoholic) but some of them did escalate into mini melees. Long story short, they tried to charge me with False Identification. I had a ton of witnesses, my lawyer told me not to worry. I went to District Court expecting the best, and guess what...the case got pushed to the next level....I was flabberghasted to say the least. I was looking at a felony charge and jail time. Fortunately for me the next judge didn't screw around (and he also didn't share the parking lot with the cops like the first judge) he threw the case out, but I was so close to going away for a while...I quit drinking and I moved.

Oh and my house got illegally searched when I got arrested that last night to. I supposedly lied about my ID, but they found my address from my liscense which I supposedly didn't supply (remember I was being charged with false ID), so while I was sitting in the back of the popo car they enetred my residence and searched it (wasn't growing indoors then). My lawyer told both judges and guess what, they didn't give 2 craps.

Long story short, cops are human, humans lie cheat and steal. POPO has power which is the last thing they need....get the plants out of there. Safe is better than sorry. Good luck, and I did not mean to scare you but I wanted to share my experience with you. BTW these cops weren't just some small town cops either, I live in/around Philly and this happened here. I am a free man now, but for a couple of months there I was preparing for the worst...things work out but be careful and just think, and get those plants out of there.

What if those same cops get a "call" about noise at your place? Catch my drift?

benamucc said:
putting myself in the cops shoes for a minute, this is what i see. get a call for a possible missing persons. track down the landlord to open the place up. open the door, and looking for fowl play, or an odor that usually accompanies missing persons found in the home. now i have to write a dang report saying that we found her safe and sound.

that being said, it's an entirely different investigation into your grow. did they inquire about drug use or anything, or were they just ho-hum, back to business?

cops on the spot like that are just like normal people sometimes missing the details, and probably just more concerned with your well being, than what the house may or may not smell like to them...

depending on the conversation you had with them right after that i wouldn't be terribly concerned... most judges aren't going to issue an inhouse warrant because of a faint smell during a missing person investigation...

They were at my bedroom door calling my name as i opened it. They could tell they just woke me up, i was still in my pj's and i sure was surprised to see them in my house. They just said that my brother was concerned for my safety. They said to please call him and then they left. One was all smiles and the other was stern looking so i had no clue what they were thinking. They didn't ask any questions except if i was OK.

Let me get this right. If every brother or sister in the world decides to live their life and NOT contact their family within 5 days, and also decides to NOT check their email, that gives someone the right to call the police on them?

I think that's insane.

The police invaded your privacy, entered your home, with no warrant, no real cause, no missing persons report, no legal grounds what-so-ever, and there is someone who thinks this is a good thing?

TNG (The New Girl), if your Brother doesn't hear from you for a month or two, tell him not to worry. Tell him you're an adult and are living your life. Tell him to live his.

How this SHOULD have gone down:

The overly concerned brother undoubtedly knows where you work. He could call there and ask if you've been to work in the last week. Did he?

When the police got his call, THEY should have done a routine check to see where you work and called to see if you'd been there in the past few days. Did they?

The police can do a simple credit card check and see if you've used any of your cards in the last few days and where. Did they?

The police should have POUNDED on your door to make enough noise to wake you. Did they?

I see a police invasion of personal space. Unwarranted, unjustified and illegal.

I also see a Brother who needs to recognise the fact that you are an adult enjoying your life and that you don't need to check in with him within every 5 day period.

As for your plants, I'd have already taken them to a remote dumpster and put them in it. Why take the risk? Obviously the police in your area aren't smart enough to tie their shoes and chew gum at the same time. Illegally entering your home again won't bother them in the slightest.

TNG, you need to make the fact that you are an adult with your own life known to your family. Tell them you love them, but also let them know you don't feel required to check in with them within each 5 day period or face the Police at your bedroom door!

POTUS said:
Let me get this right. If every brother or sister in the world decides to live their life and NOT contact their family within 5 days, and also decides to NOT check their email, that gives someone the right to call the police on them?

I think that's insane.

The police invaded your privacy, entered your home, with no warrant, no real cause, no missing persons report, no legal grounds what-so-ever, and there is someone who thinks this is a good thing?

TNG (The New Girl), if your Brother doesn't hear from you for a month or two, tell him not to worry. Tell him you're an adult and are living your life. Tell him to live his.

How this SHOULD have gone down:

The overly concerned brother undoubtedly knows where you work. He could call there and ask if you've been to work in the last week. Did he?

When the police got his call, THEY should have done a routine check to see where you work and called to see if you'd been there in the past few days. Did they?

The police can do a simple credit card check and see if you've used any of your cards in the last few days and where. Did they?

The police should have POUNDED on your door to make enough noise to wake you. Did they?

I see a police invasion of personal space. Unwarranted, unjustified and illegal.

I also see a Brother who needs to recognise the fact that you are an adult enjoying your life and that you don't need to check in with him within every 5 day period.

As for your plants, I'd have already taken them to a remote dumpster and put them in it. Why take the risk? Obviously the police in your area aren't smart enough to tie their shoes and chew gum at the same time. Illegally entering your home again won't bother them in the slightest.

TNG, you need to make the fact that you are an adult with your own life known to your family. Tell them you love them, but also let them know you don't feel required to check in with them within each 5 day period or face the Police at your bedroom door!

Do you think they could get a warrant? I should just trash the grow? What if they see me leave and pull me over with it? This is a mess.

The New Girl said:
Do you think they could get a warrant? I should just trash the grow? What if they see me leave and pull me over with it? This is a mess.

I still can't believe that they entered your home with no legal grounds.

That makes the police in your area very unpredictable. With no doubt what-so-ever, I would do the following:

1. Pull up the whole thing, put it into plastic bags while wearing gloves and put it in a dumpster far from your house. Drive normal, at the speed limit and safely. Remember, no prints on the bags or anything in them.

2. Start looking FAST for a new place to live. Your landlord let them in with no legal grounds. He might choose to do that again whenever he wants to.

3. If it's within your means, try to buy a small house. If you're going to have crops of MJ, it's much safer than doing so in a rental.

4. If you decide to stay where you are, don't grow any weed for a few months and have a talk with your landlord.

5. Buy a door buzzer that rings loudly in your bedroom. You can buy them for about $20 and they're battery operated. I use one. Put the receiver part in the receptacle that is right next to your bed. If needed, put a cone of some type around it to amplify the sound it makes.

Good luck to you, and I'm sure glad that it didn't turn out to be the nightmare it could have been.

I firmly believe that your Brother was TOTALLY in the wrong for initiating this stupid comedy of errors. I would STERNLY have a talk with him about it.

Good luck to you, whatever you do.

im not sure if this prtains,but few weeks ago in oakland,ca. a cop on patrol noticed a certain smell near a body shop. two weeks later they arrived with a search warrant and found a major operation.i know yours is a little personal thing but they dont know that if they smelled it. i say why risk it,but i dont know the penalties where ur at either.sorry about ur situation.

POTUS said:

actually now days yes! now im not sure how close tng and her brother are,,,, but if he feels that its not her routine and havent heard nothing then yes the can come out to ur place even knock the door down to make sure you are "safe",,,,,,,

tng srry to hear what happen,, back in feb one of my sons decided to get in some trouble and had 2 cops at my house,,,,to find out about hour later my other older son had the cops watching him,,,, with my plants at 36 days into flowering,,,,, didnt want to but in 20 mins i had everything taken down and plants cut up,,,,, hope you do what you feel best and safe

personally i would just try and forget about the visit ,,,unless they mentioned anything to do with pot ,,,police have been into my house and laughed at my little set up because it wasnt worth the paper work and because they had called for an entirely diffrent reason ,,,good luck on whatever u decide:peace:

melissa said:
personally i would just try and forget about the visit ,,,unless they mentioned anything to do with pot ,,,police have been into my house and laughed at my little set up because it wasnt worth the paper work and because they had called for an entirely diffrent reason ,,,good luck on whatever u decide:peace:

Not trying to be mean, but the US and UK are 2 different places....with 2 different attitudes. Also she's in the NE unless it's Maine or NH they don't f around here. In fact I've had dudes in Cali tell me to chill, I live in PA and there is not tolerance...they wouldn't laugh at a small grow here. The US is the biggest POLICE STATE in the world, sorry the biggest "free" POLICE STATE in the world.

I wouldn't worry. You're safe. They would have busted you right then if they saw it. Your safe. Just my thoughts. Take care and be safe.

Well I weighed the pros and cons and from what i can gather they won't have a charge that will stick, they most likely would have done or said something then. I'm just beside myself with the work I've done to get this going and now this. I guess I will pay the price if it doesn't work out but in my gut I don't think they are going to mess with me. They even called my brother to tell him they got a hold of me. We had a heart to heart and I explained how that could have screwed me but at least I know he cares. Our mom is close to dying so I'm all he has after her, I'm not mad and I'll live with what happens i guess. Wish me luck and thanks for your kind words and support.

The New Girl said:
Well I weighed the pros and cons and from what i can gather they won't have a charge that will stick, they most likely would have done or said something then. I'm just beside myself with the work I've done to get this going and now this. I guess I will pay the price if it doesn't work out but in my gut I don't think they are going to mess with me. They even called my brother to tell him they got a hold of me. We had a heart to heart and I explained how that could have screwed me but at least I know he cares. Our mom is close to dying so I'm all he has after her, I'm not mad and I'll live with what happens i guess. Wish me luck and thanks for your kind words and support.

Good luck, sorry to hear about your Mom. I didn't bring it up in my thread but my mom was dying and the last arrest with the false ID would have meant I would not have been free to see her pass. I know how you must feel....it's not easy and I wish you and your family the best...Mom's are special and I miss mine everyday. I would imagine too this is why your brother is calling the police, he loves you which I'm sure you know, I know you are supposed to keep it quiet but at some point you might want to feel him out and maybe tell him so as to not create more confusion.

Once again I know I'm a stranger but I will keep your mother in my thoughts. I am truly sorry to hear about your mother and wish her and her family the best. I hope this isn't inappropriate.

Latest posts

Back