Proper germination and info (+ a Sticky would be an asset to have)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ifsixwasnin9

Reaction score
This topic is probably beat to death. (search didn't produce info I wanted.)

I read some Tutorials saying that wet towel method is OK and some that say "Do Not Use It". And I read a tutorial that said some seeds can take months and months to germinate? The seed age have something to do with that?

I've never had trouble germinating with wet towel (within 2 weeks) over last 3 yrs but the current varied handful of indoor hybrids I have (3 weeks or so) is refusing to pop or popped and died after planting. (Attitude Seed Bank which has always been great for me.)

How come there isn't a Sticky for Germination Techniques, Myths, Seed types, etc.?

*I read one site today that said Use mineral oil to soak seeds. (?)
All of this confuses me. There should only be one method that is a popular and standard germination practice.

Ive always either used paper towel method or I just put them in soil and water them.
Ive had older seeds take a few weeks-but never a month. If you have looked at all the guides in the growing techniques section-Dont know if theres any more-I know the searches can be funky.
I use filtered tap water and unbleached paper towels and I put them in a covered plastic container and put them in the cabinet above my refridgerator-works 98% of the time.

Mineral oil? thats new one on me..

:48:

ODF

Yeah I wanna learn about when I read people saying they germed and popped atleast 2 inches in less than 24 hours by soaking it in a cup of water then planting it. How does that work?

ok heres one: (change xx to tt)

hxxp://www.fastergrowing.com/cannabis/seedgermbook.php

ODF

ifsixwasnin9,

I know it can be hard to find things on the site sometimes. You can also try searching this site FROM google and get easier to navigate results.

Try copying and pasting this into your browser bar
germination site:marijuanapassion.com

I've done all the methods- and had some success with each. This round I did side by side water vs. paper towel and for me the water did better.
I used to go straight to soil, but had such troubles germinating in my new location I switched to water method.

I usually give up on seeds after 21 days. The ones that turned into great plants all germinated pretty quickly.

I'm sure others will chime in with more expert advice. Next batch I do will be water soak then to 4" cups of seedling soil. But for now I've got out of control clones to manage, so it will be a while till I pop more seeds.

I like Mandala's germination guide. hXXp://www.mandalaseeds.com/Guides/Germination-Guide

The reason that I do not really like to use the paper towel method is that I don't like handling the popped seed and I believe that the more handling, the greater the chance of damage and pathogens. However, if you have old seeds, soaking can aid germination as the seed hull can dry out over time and the embryo does not have enough strength to crack the hull.

I cannot imagine a seed opening and growing 2 inches in 2 days, even if soaked. Growth that fast is not growth, but stretch. By the time my seedlings are 2" tall, I want them to have 2-3 sets of real leaves. That cannot happen in 2 days. In addition, fast germination really doesn't mean anything. Most of my seeds take 3-5 days to pop their heads out of their medium (I generally use rapid rooters). Some take longer. The seeds that take longer to germ are generally not in any way inferior to those that popped faster.

I throw mine in a cup of water, and let them sit over night. Then i put the seeds in rockwool cubes, and once roots come outta the cubes, i plant them in the dirt right from there, cube and all. I use tweezers to get them out, cause like hemp goddess said, u get pathogens and what not easier by handling.

i agree with the Hemp Goddess. I follow Mandala's planting guide. You don't see wet paper towels in nature do you? It doesn't have to be so hard or complicated. Seed, dirt, water, plant.

Ive had terrible result planting seeds driectly into dirt... I soak for 24 to 48 hours depending on how quickly the seeds pop... After 48 hours I paper towel them and put them in a ziploc thats not zipped closed... A new tip i just picked up was to not lay them flat as the taproot follows gravity... It can lead to the roots growing in a cricle making it very hard to plant... I stored them in an ammo case, to keep the light out, standing up and almost every taproot was growing perfectly straight down... 37 of 39 beans from many different breeders popped for me in the last week using this method... GL

JAAM-
I'm still in awe of the amount of beans you've popped in the last week.
It is amazing how they just seem to turn up everywhere. I almost ended up with more plants than would fit in my area- but the last three went boy on me (I was kind of relieved)

BTW- I use tweezers as well to move them into the soil.

Latest posts

Back