Advertise On Marijuana Passion

prune or not to prune

scotsman

Well-Known Member
Joined
Mar 21, 2011
Messages
66
Reaction score
0
Hi guys i had a mate come round today he said i need to trim some of my leaves and smaller buds so the plant dosnt use all it's strengh to grow insignificant bud and leaves, and will then make the existing buds bigger i dont think i should! but hes been growing for years is he right? im not so sure! i would personally let the plant grow naturally but there are lots of small bud / flowers he has said he will come round tonight and help should i tell him no or is he right tahnks in advance.
 

Hamster Lewis

Well-Known Member
Joined
Jan 25, 2009
Messages
16,529
Reaction score
3,731
This is a HOT Topic fo sho....

Only thing I will say is I do a lil pruning in veg and remove the lower 1/4 of the plant to strip away the crappy popcorn buds. The MJ Botany book by Clarke makes it pretty clear that pruning is not recommended. There will be some who swear the buds need light but in my opinion the fan leaves need the light and shld be kept.

I usually tell new growers not to prune at all....just remove some of the lower branches to help with air flow and concentrate the energy to the upper buds that get bigger then the popcorn buds.
Just my opinion...please hold the lynching. :)
 

BudLover#69

Just a Stoned Member!
Joined
Apr 23, 2011
Messages
170
Reaction score
3
People that have been growing for years say all kinds of stuff! that is/or isnot right but is personal opinion. lol Funny, thats going to be a 50/50 debate watch! IMO growing is a personal zenish experience and you develope a relationship with your girls Follow your Gut! and let the girls talk to you.. I tend to let my bottom buds grow they mature faster so 40 days into flower are so I'll clip a few of them, they get me stoned!! and at that point I do want the plant to concentrate on the bigger tops anyhow. IMO it is always ok to just let them grow normal OR OK to trim them a LITTLE here and there. She Is A Woman go slow and be patient she will tell you what she likes if you Listen!! Good Luck!
 

BudLover#69

Just a Stoned Member!
Joined
Apr 23, 2011
Messages
170
Reaction score
3
Hamster Lewis said:
This is a HOT Topic fo sho....


Just my opinion...please hold the lynching. :)
Funny I stressed Opinion too!! You made me laugh with the lynching commet! lol :rofl:
 

scotsman

Well-Known Member
Joined
Mar 21, 2011
Messages
66
Reaction score
0
im 32 days into flower the buds at the bottom are smaller but overall from what i can see my plants are looking good for a first timer :) from what ive read the fan leaves are basically the plants larder storing food for the plant as it needs it, and hence why the leaves fade and turn colour as the plants basically consumes it, im a keen gardner also and know if i dead head or prune smaller flower heads it allows the plant to promote bigger flower heads allowing the plant to redirect that energy it was using, that makes sense but ive seen pictures of the feilds of marijuana in afghanistan, you cant tell me they are pruning each and evey plant lol and when in dout i would always let nature take its course, but when you are as green as i am to marijuana growing you want to check and double check so let the debate continue lol
 

BudLover#69

Just a Stoned Member!
Joined
Apr 23, 2011
Messages
170
Reaction score
3
scotsman said:
im 32 days into flower the buds at the bottom are smaller but overall from what i can see my plants are looking good for a first timer :) from what ive read the fan leaves are basically the plants larder storing food for the plant as it needs it, and hence why the leaves fade and turn colour as the plants basically consumes it, im a keen gardner also and know if i dead head or prune smaller flower heads it allows the plant to promote bigger flower heads allowing the plant to redirect that energy it was using, that makes sense but ive seen pictures of the feilds of marijuana in afghanistan, you cant tell me they are pruning each and evey plant lol and when in dout i would always let nature take its course, but when you are as green as i am to marijuana growing you want to check and double check so let the debate continue lol
Sounds like to me you already got this and will be fine. Just remeber your plants talk to your gut, not your friends or they would be his plants and all trimmed up and funny looking! lol At this point (if lots of Trichs) and you don't have any Bud or $s for bud you can start to trim a few of the lower buds/branches dry and get high! why waste them? have fun ;)
 
S

StoneyBud

Guest
The fan leaves do much, much more than just "storing" plant nutrients. The largest amount of photosynthesis that happens on the entire plant is done within the fan leaves. For every one you take off that is less than 50% dead, you subtract from the plants over-all health, production and growth.

This is all plant biology, not "gut-feelings" or guesses. It's researched, tested, studied facts.

Removing leaves is crazy unless they are 50% or more dead.

Like I keep saying here; it's like a runner cutting his legs off so he weighs less and could run faster....taking the plants means of photosynthesis off to make it grow better makes no sense.
 

scotsman

Well-Known Member
Joined
Mar 21, 2011
Messages
66
Reaction score
0
Thats what i thought Stoney just as i said when your new you bow to experiance not blindly hence why i asked in here, i thought it was wrong when he said it! but just wanted to double check as its not the kind of topic you can ask a neighbour about lol
 

OGKushman

Needs More Cowbell
Joined
Jul 19, 2009
Messages
2,248
Reaction score
402
lollipop lillipop ooooo lolli lolli lolli lollipop!
 
S

StoneyBud

Guest
scotsman said:
That's what i thought Stoney just as i said when your new you bow to experience not blindly hence why i asked in here, i thought it was wrong when he said it! but just wanted to double check as its not the kind of topic you can ask a neighbour about lol
As OGK has mentioned, "lollipop" growing can be done. This is purposely removing all but the single center cola and it's supporting leaves.

Basically, it's growing only one branch with no side branching and packing them into a grow space as tightly as possible. Lots of work and I'm not sure if the resulting weight per/sq ft would justify it.

It does look cool as **** tho'. Kinda like a stoner's paradise.
 

BudLover#69

Just a Stoned Member!
Joined
Apr 23, 2011
Messages
170
Reaction score
3
StoneyBud said:
The fan leaves do much, much more than just "storing" plant nutrients. The largest amount of photosynthesis that happens on the entire plant is done within the fan leaves. For every one you take off that is less than 50% dead, you subtract from the plants over-all health, production and growth.

This is all plant biology, not "gut-feelings" or guesses. It's researched, tested, studied facts.

Removing leaves is crazy unless they are 50% or more dead.

Like I keep saying here; it's like a runner cutting his legs off so he weighs less and could run faster....taking the plants means of photosynthesis off to make it grow better makes no sense.
OK I agree!! how about that, and My gut feeling still tells me alot about growing not You Plant Biologist although I do know that you guys know what your saying, so all respect. I am just an old dumb *** stoner that has been smoking for 35yrs but just started growing a couple years ago. Just like my Son and his friends I bet you grow Great Bud! For sho!

What is funny to me is I just go by K.I.S.S .. I dont use Nutes, CO2, hydro or anything crazy! My son and friends " new age growers" always trip of the fact that my Bud is just Caked/Layered in Trichs and the only source of nutes I add to my Recycled soil is some 97Cent bag of Cow Menure.. Just potting soil, menure and perlite and 600w hps lights. KISS works great for me and I stay stoned 24/7 still chop or not when I FEEL like it lol! have fun;) Ps. I only remove dead/dying leaves and buds I cut I eat or smoke when I have that gut feeling! lol
 

BudLover#69

Just a Stoned Member!
Joined
Apr 23, 2011
Messages
170
Reaction score
3
StoneyBud said:
As OGK has mentioned, "lollipop" growing can be done. This is purposely removing all but the single center cola and it's supporting leaves.

Basically, it's growing only one branch with no side branching and packing them into a grow space as tightly as possible. Lots of work and I'm not sure if the resulting weight per/sq ft would justify it.

It does look cool as **** tho'. Kinda like a stoner's paradise.
I dont know!, but isnt lolipopping when you cut the bottom branches off the main stem and top the main stem, so that 5 or 6 side branches are the same hieght as the main stem. Making the plant resemble a lollipop??

really I don't know just asking?
 
W

woodydude

Guest
Most of the growers I know remove the lower 1/3 or 1/4 branches from their plants, as HL said, to allow for air flow and to let the plant use its energy more efficiently.
I am still undecided on the subject, I need to do a side by side grow, trimming one plant but not another to see which produces more.
What I am firmly decided about is removing fan leaves. I listened to the wrong person on my first grow, removed almost all of the larger fan leaves by the 4th week of flowering and the whole thing was a disapointment, needless to say I wont do that again! I now use yoyo's to spread and train the plants open to allow light through and my yields are improving.
W
 

BudLover#69

Just a Stoned Member!
Joined
Apr 23, 2011
Messages
170
Reaction score
3
OGKushman said:
lollipop lillipop ooooo lolli lolli lolli lollipop!
Hey OG, can you explain exactly how to lollipop real qiuck? thanks!:D
 

BudLover#69

Just a Stoned Member!
Joined
Apr 23, 2011
Messages
170
Reaction score
3
Hey Woody,

" I now use yoyo's to spread and train the plants open to allow light through and my yields are improving."

yoyo's ?? I don't get it!?
 
D

dman1234

Guest
yo yos are a product used to hold up lights and can be used to tie plants up also.
 

scotsman

Well-Known Member
Joined
Mar 21, 2011
Messages
66
Reaction score
0
yo yo's the wee pully system ? is that not a bit expensive for each plant, could you not get the same result from just using picture hooks? what exactly do you do woody any pics? well thats if you have a closet grow like my self lol
 
D

dman1234

Guest
plant yo yos go for about 2 bucks, more than hooks yes but not terribly expensive.
 
D

dman1234

Guest
BudLover#69 said:
OK I agree!! how about that, and My gut feeling still tells me alot about growing not You Plant Biologist although I do know that you guys know what your saying, so all respect. I am just an old dumb *** stoner that has been smoking for 35yrs but just started growing a couple years ago. Just like my Son and his friends I bet you grow Great Bud! For sho!

What is funny to me is I just go by K.I.S.S .. I dont use Nutes, CO2, hydro or anything crazy! My son and friends " new age growers" always trip of the fact that my Bud is just Caked/Layered in Trichs and the only source of nutes I add to my Recycled soil is some 97Cent bag of Cow Menure.. Just potting soil, menure and perlite and 600w hps lights. KISS works great for me and I stay stoned 24/7 still chop or not when I FEEL like it lol! have fun;) Ps. I only remove dead/dying leaves and buds I cut I eat or smoke when I have that gut feeling! lol
You dont use nutes at all?
 
Top