purple stems ?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fruity86

Reaction score
hello grower ive been looking around to try and find out if the purpleing on my plants stem is anything to worrie about and i cant find anything they are at day 27 of 12/12 i tested my run off last night and it was at 6 i put 40litre of ph'd water through each 14litre pot last night and ph went to 6.3 do i have anything to worrie about or are they alright ?

purple is all the way up the plants pic from bottom

SDC10706.JPG

SDC10696.JPG

they cool..... they cool.... i think it's strain specific.
i think.....
i'm running a random variety now and have some purple stems, some green stems... but they're all healthy.

WHoa!! ok, my bad..
i actually just looked at the pics...
you got a situation going on here that's serious...
Seriously healthy Marry Jane!!!!!
MOJO!!

things look ok to me but its 7:20 a.m and me and the volcano had a serious wake n bake :). i have the same opinion/situation as ishnish. looks ok to me and i got some plants going now that are similar and darker than that while right next to it there are plants with all green leaf stems and stalks. i am gonna say it is the strain. does the purple travel up into the petiole and viens as well or just limited to the stems/stalks? i dunno lol. looks like nuthin to worry about yet if the bud pictured is the same plant :). sorry for rambling, im goin back to the vape. good looking plants. happy growing.

yes its the same plant and the purple is only on stems there are 7 of them like this all the same strain so its probly the strain thanks

It can be a strain thing, or cool temps. But it can also be a lack of Phosphorous...especially in flower plants use alot of (P).if your not using a flowering nute it could be defficient, or a pH problem and locked out. If your temps are not dropping too much in the dark period, and it turns out that it isn't strain specific...it could be what you are feeding/or not feeding.

If your using a good flowering nute and your pH is adjusted correctly, then it's probably not a problem though.

hey LF i was hopeing you would pop in i remenber a thread couple weeks ago that you replyed to but couldnt find it im useing a whole rang of AN nutes at the moment in useing big bud, iguana juice bloom, hemmerhead pk 9/18 but as you say they may be a lack of phosphourous as the ph is to low if i remember correctly phousphourous is looked out or less available at under 6.5 correct me if im wrong thanks fruity

Hey Fruity86-

Like LF said- it is most likely strain related, but it is a definite reaction to cooler temps.

I have forced non-purple strains to develop purple leaves by introducing cool temps at lights off.

You're looking good!

phosphorous... didn't even think about that.. right on LF.
:48:

legalize_freedom said:
It can be a strain thing, or cool temps. But it can also be a lack of Phosphorous...especially in flower plants use alot of (P).if your not using a flowering nute it could be defficient, or a pH problem and locked out. If your temps are not dropping too much in the dark period, and it turns out that it isn't strain specific...it could be what you are feeding/or not feeding.

If your using a good flowering nute and your pH is adjusted correctly, then it's probably not a problem though.

i have 2 small momies that are purple stemmed but the new growth that comes in is green??? (P)?? or something else sorry to jack the thread and all just same situation...
temps are 25-27C and feedin GH 3 part.
LH

Those stems aren't what I would call purple.You seem to have some red streaking going on the main stem of the plant. Other than that, most of the other stems are reddish on top and green on bottom, which happens a lot.

It's more of a sunburn from the HID than it is a deficiency. It could also be a slight pH issues causing lockout of something. However, overall...those plants are healthy and shouldn't be messed with.

Your plants are PERFECTLY healthy.

***LeftHand, your plants are probably having a Nitrogen issue, as in Lack OF.
If the stems are purple and very floppy you almost certainly have an issue and just need to feed your plants with a proper vegetative fertilizer.

Most N deficiencies are characterized by purple stems, droopy stems and leaves, and leaves that fall easily. All of these things come BEFORE leaves begin to turn yellow and die.

I hope this helps.

Mr.Wakenbake said:
Those stems aren't what I would call purple.You seem to have some red streaking going on the main stem of the plant. Other than that, most of the other stems are reddish on top and green on bottom, which happens a lot.

It's more of a sunburn from the HID than it is a deficiency. It could also be a slight pH issues causing lockout of something. However, overall...those plants are healthy and shouldn't be messed with.

Your plants are PERFECTLY healthy.

***LeftHand, your plants are probably having a Nitrogen issue, as in Lack OF.
If the stems are purple and very floppy you almost certainly have an issue and just need to feed your plants with a proper vegetative fertilizer.

Most N deficiencies are characterized by purple stems, droopy stems and leaves, and leaves that fall easily. All of these things come BEFORE leaves begin to turn yellow and die.

I hope this helps.

Good to know.. and thank you..
LH

reddening, or purpeling happens with different deficiencies (N) usually if vegging, and (p) usually in flower. but for instance some micro nutes will cause it to, like sulpher I believe. If it's (P) it usually turns more purple on the underside of the leaves.

LH I agree with wakenbake here, that your is probably (N) being moms, if it's not temp, or strain related. But if the pH is off it could be locking stuff out.

I also agree that those plants at the top of this thread look healthy and happy...if your feeding a well rounded nute line and your pH is dialed in then it is MOST likely a strain or temp thing. They do look Nice! Keep it up bud!

hey thank wakenbake and LF well i corrected my ph after posting and we will c how they go thanks guys:)

Latest posts

Back