questiono

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
hey schoolboy look for the most lumens you can get cuz watts can decieve. Some lights have high watts but low lumens,you want just the opposite. an hps is a high pressure sodium, the same type of lights they use for street lights.Mh is metal halide and they are often found used for landscaping,baylightsand parking lot lights. Try insidesun.com they have some cool ones for about 100 bucks for a 400 watt hps. If you dont want to order online i have seen some on craigslist.

my 42watt has 2700 lumens, so another should cover it. thanks man thats what i needed.

no dude you need even more light then that. think of it. im a noob also but i actually take time to research. you need 5000 lumens PSF AT LEAST. and trust me unless you have mylar and a dope grow room/box you aint got the reflection you need so im guessing your losing alot of that light... if i were you id just maybe grab a few more cfls and see how it goes and then read a bunch

PSF - per square foot..

Schoolboy,
I wish I had pics of the first one I grew.
I had potting soil mixed 50/50 with some good topsoil from the yard.
(Had my own place-this was 21 years ago-no internet-no cell phones-You were'nt born yet)
It was in about a one gallon pot.I just buried the seeds and watered. Two came up so I took the strong one and removed the other.It grew to over three feet high and it did stretch some.
When the bottom leaves started turning yellow I showed to my girlfreind (my wife these days), she said "jeez-it's rootbound".
She pulled ot out of the pot, trimmed the side roots down but not the one in the middle, then put it back in the pot. It grew another foot after a shock period.
Finally we moved it outside, but one day as my Gf was sitting in the kitchen, she saw a neighbor "checking it out" so I had to pull it.

Get a few more cfl's-If you can get to a farm store, get whats called a brooder light.It has a clamp on it so you can rig 'er up.
Then get you a "y" fitting.
And get you a fan-nothing big-just a little one like is on a computer.

Give the foil back to mom-it works better on baked potatoes.

HPS=High Pressure Sodium
MH=Metal Halide
Both of the above fall into the class of HID'S(High Intensity Discharge)lights
There are others but this post is getting long.

But If you want my real true advise, get your own place first man. You don't want your parents to have to deal with that...oh well-you gonna do wat you wanna do.
Latah.
Gb

yeah, i forgot you said per sq foot. idk im going to lowes tomorrow, so ill see what i can do. and if it all fails, which its looking like it will, i will take the time to build a good growbox.

ill probably actually make something tomorrow to use to keep the light in.

didnt think about losing light.

and thanks for explaining what the lights mean, i figured most out, except HID.

Does the HPS lights fit into a regular light socket type? because if it does i could get one of those then fix up a good hoodreflector thing. i was looking online and a lot of those are about 50 for the light, which is practically right in the price range i got. hah, im getting 50 more tomorrow.

and yeah i know that about the parents house thing. thats why im trying to save these while i can, bc if they die im gonna be waiting til i get my own place to start another grow.

and i actually have two of the ones with clamps on them. i got one in my closet. the clamps got a belt through it and tied to the clothes hanger rack, nicely rigged hahah.

my problem is lack of the stuff i need for the grow.

im glad i checked this before i made another trip to the store.

4 42 watt cfls better be good enough then.

overall the plants probably take up a bit less that 2 square ft. so i dont need much yet.

warm whites for flowering right?

thedonofchronic said:
im a noob also but i actually take time to research.
oh trust me i research, just never did about lighting. just about everything else but lighting. havent been doing as much research as ive been needing lately.

my next grow will have some pics for people to drool on. ill make sure of that.

im going to build up a box. find a good guide for building a box, and im gonna get a really good quality lighting set up. good organic soil. fox farms nutes. all the right stuff. then hop online and get some lowryder ak47 seeds, and get'r going.

and also wait for my brain to expand with moooooorrrrreeeee growsmarts.

Does the HPS lights fit into a regular light socket type?

No, they won't. An HPS has it's own fixture.The bigger ones have a separate ballast unit.
Smaller ones like 150w have a built in ballast.
They are pretty affordable.

There is alot of info on lights in the lights section of this forum.

4 42 watt cfls better be good enough then

Like some posters have posted, yes they will work. No superbuds, but if you stick with it you will have some.
If you do get an hps, be prepared to help mom with the light bill-lol

Gb

yup yup thanks. i know have just 2 42watt cfls and also a flouro tube thats around 40 watts. not much, but each cfl puts off about 2800 lumens each and the tube puts off a measly 800, but i did the math and its just barely the minimum. which is good enough for now. the flouro tube costed just as much as each cfl, but came with its own light fixture. and was for sure warm white. the cfls said nothing about warm or soft white, which is why i bought the warm white. figure it should atleast help, got them suckers practically right on the tops of the plants, since ive been reading to do that since they dont put off much heat at all. I need vents or atleast a fan or two. its humid as a mother F in there. i got white walls and some aluminum foil set up, should be atleast good enough. my setups just about perfect for ''good enough'' bud. hahaha. ah well, first grow, fail or not idc now. atleast i got more stuff for the future grow. this one will most likely fail, because i was horribly prepared.

so you know what im dealing with my grow space overall is about 6 or 7 feet long, bout 3 feet wide. but i have it sectioned off kinda, and where my plants are theres probably about a foot and a half long and just shy of a foot wide of overall plant space. i know pics are easier as describers.

would you say i got a good enough set up? and by good enough setup i mean one that should atleast work, but might not. and probably wont have bud you guys would probably even consider good enough, but atleast bud that does the trick?

btw donofchronic, yeah i realize that now. its just points are hard to make and to get across with just text on a forum. but yeah its all good man. and nice mask if thats yours. smoked out of one few times, they suck. for your lungs hahaha. but damn if your not riiiipppppppeddddd hahah.

wow i am as new as it gets ,but you make me feel great about my setup...before i planted anything i read the marijuana grow bible cover to cover and every free grow book on this site ..also many grow logs..this is alought of work but you will only get out of it whay you put into it..if your heart isnt in this you shouldnt do it ..i spend alought of time with my plants,and in the end it will be worth it..you have to be willing to put in the effort..i even brought home spider mites from a local nursery(first time to stupid to know any different)but with the info i gathered i kicked those little bastards ***...and the next grow i will be much more prepared..i kept a daily log of ph levels ,watering amounts ,plant height and widths.nutrients used and quantities ,etc..i kept track of everything ..

very nice. been working on the setup i have. like i said, horribly planned. i had spidermites too, but had **** in the garage to take care of it. dont have the cash flow coming in to be able to just buy the stuff i need. its all in steps.

A step at time indeed. Been there. But there are some things you have to have before beginning such an endeavor. Experience is priceless, but experience garnered from lack of supplies and incorrect setup isn't really experience....
I suppose you may now have some ideas of what to expect...
I suppose

Youe definately in good company. You have a great chance to learn alot but much time and research is the only way you are going to take advantage of what you have at your fingertips. We are a lucky generation...errrr..... my generation and then on to yours... a few down the line. The internet has given us a veritable cornicoppia of information so we can save ourselves alot of time, money, and heartache. Some of those old schoolers well beyond my "old schoolin" weren't so lucky.

You at least got the first step right!
You joined MP
Good luck

tinydn said:
wow i am as new as it gets ,but you make me feel great about my setup...before i planted anything i read the marijuana grow bible cover to cover and every free grow book on this site ..also many grow logs..this is alought of work but you will only get out of it whay you put into it..if your heart isnt in this you shouldnt do it ..i spend alought of time with my plants,and in the end it will be worth it..you have to be willing to put in the effort..i even brought home spider mites from a local nursery(first time to stupid to know any different)but with the info i gathered i kicked those little bastards ***...and the next grow i will be much more prepared..i kept a daily log of ph levels ,watering amounts ,plant height and widths.nutrients used and quantities ,etc..i kept track of everything ..
so this was my original post to you...i have read your new posts ,things dont seem to be getting better...do your plants and yourself a favor pull them and smoke what you got..and if you try this again in cali do it right..i am sorry for the negativity ,but i almost think its hopeless at this point...

Latest posts

Back