Questions about this sytem...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for the tips joker, but I already new all that stuff lol. this hydro grow will be my third grow. I know how to germ, I know how to grow soil ok. But I want to switch to hydro. Can I use peat pellets instead of rockwool? or is rockwool the best?. I'm also not really understanding how the roots are going to reach the reservoir if I dont get a water pump and pump water to the root area.

It's just like any DWC unit in the beginning high water level with the airstones splashes the young roots they will hit the water in no time after that then you lower the water level. The drip is a nice option but not really needed, also it clogs frequently if you use their nutrients (granular). I would get my own nutes...something liquid would be best. Also you are going to need some more airstones, it comes with one you need two if not three to really be efficient. The roots love the bubbles. And get meters like Toker says you need them. And get some pH up and down, I know it comes with some but IMO it's a PITA more than a help...remember I started hydro on this so I know from experience.

As for your questions stay away from the peat pellets in this kind of hydro IMO, rockwool, like Toker says soak in 5.5 -5.8 pH water. The airstones and the high water levels are what you are depending on to keep the young seed/plant/rockwool moist in the early stages. The bubles pop and splatter the netcup, after you get roots you lower the water level. Also I see what toke is saying but IMO it is a deal but since the nutes are junk and the pH...which is also granulated, is no good.

I bought two units when I started hydro...the stealth and this http://www.4eversun.com/hydro_flora.htm

the linked one is the one I still use for clones, it's a little better but it does cost more...the mister costs 50.00 USD, I emailed them and asked if they sold it without the mister and they said yes so I payed a little less. That was a while ago so I'm not sure of the deal with the price...but these guys use them in all their products
http://www.hydroponics-hydroponic.com/hydroflora.htm

That being said neither unit can grow their full amount of plants, unless you do a really short veg SOG grow. Have you ever seen a ten gallon tote? Imagine more than 2 plants in it....these units are for the newer grower, and thats not bad persay but all they really are are an airstone and airpump (pet store), a tote (wal mart), and some vinyl 1/4" line (lowes, home depot) and a water pump (pet store)....the vinyl tubing and water pump are optional for the drip. Also IMO Lowe's is more hydro friendly than the depot, at Lowe's they have a whole section of these products http://www.misterlandscaper.com/
I use their misters in all my aero units and they work fine, cheap and safe to purchase with your CC if you are one of those worry warts.

Once again I agree with Toker if you just want to get on with it buy it, it's not hundreds...but you could use that little money towards a nice 400 watt light, you never know.

Thanks for the help snuggles I really appreciate the write up. I'm going to go for a DWC system. Buy the net cups, the rockwool, the stones and some hydro liquid nutes then just build everything myself. I'm thinking maybe a 6- 15 gallon container for 6- 12 autoflowering dwarf plants. I got a 30 to 60 gallon air pump and 2 air stones for it so I think I'll be good on that. As far as lights go, I'm not sure if I want to go with fluoro's or HID. I already have a 400 watt HID set up, but this is for a second grow room (helping out some friends) so I'm weighing the pros and cons once again on the lights lol. I wish they would just hurry up and legalize growing already, I want to be able to do it with no fear or prejudice against me. I've already lost one friend because he thinks its such a terrible thing... I think thats just stupid...

If you have any technical questions let us know. Sorry to hear about your friend, some people believe the hype they are taught....things always work themselves out. Good luck and make sure you show us what you do, we're always curious.

NewbieG said:

Ok so... this system looks really easy to make, and it honestly looks like it would work really well. I was hoping some of you more advanced guys could give me a little bit of help with what I should include in my set up. I plan on growing ALL autoflowering plants, so I would like to add maybe 8 slots instead of 6 since the plants will be much much smaller. Second of all, I'm thinking of adding a drainage hose so taking the water out will be easy. Now my questions are, how do you feed the nutrients to the plants? do you just mix it into the water and the system takes care of teh rest, what about tests and stuff? do you have to lift the top off every single time you need to add pH balancer or n e thing like that? I dont have any experience in this field so im hoping some of you guys could explain it to me. Thanks.​

I would use a scaled down dwc system.

Here are two pics of my very cheap home made DWC Bucket system, it's very simple and if you have questions feel free to PM me.

1 Air Pump
Hose
air stone

5 gallon bucket
net cup
hydroton
rock wool cube

Don't forget whatever container you use should be light proofed, my buckets weren't light proofed at the time of these pictures.

Hope this helps.

**Edit the pics don't seem to be showing up. GOing to try and embed them here**

Good job with that. They working good for you?

Wasn't to bad on cost either was it, considering it's a onetime thing?

Yea man they are working great, I still haven't done it but it keeps me up at night, if you have the money get a used TDS off of ebay...and if you can't afford the PH tester, get some litmus paper withy the correct range. This system is working great so far, changing the buckets solution is a pain in the butt, but hey its only once every 10 days....but i can help you with that once you get there.

But for now you should check out my journal i'll be updating it in a little bit with pictures of this beastly little bush i got in one of em:hubba: if you like how they look, this is the cheapest hydro method IMO, and has room for great yields...assuming I make my way through my first time without any mistakes!! ::knocks on wood::

Good luck!

Latest posts

Back