R/O System

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TangieDank

Everything i say is fake
Reaction score
looking to get a R/O water system . I am currently on a well and the water is not 100% . Any suggestions ?

This is the one I use. It works great!

[ame]http://www.amazon.com/Hydro-Logic-31035-100-GPD-Stealth-RO100-Reverse/dp/B002JLACGK[/ame]

If you do get an R/O system consider getting a reservoir and a float valve. It takes a while for the R/O systems to crank out a few gallons of good water. With a res. you won't have to wait for your bucket to fill up.

Here is a link to the float valve.... [ame]http://www.amazon.com/Hydro-Logic-31035-100-GPD-Stealth-RO100-Reverse/dp/B002JLACGK[/ame]

I just use a heavy duty 35 gallon garbage can for a reservoir.

anybody know how much of water run thru the r/o process is wasted???

do you have an alternative to letting it just drip down the drain?

anybody know how much of water run thru the r/o process is wasted???

do you have an alternative to letting it just drip down the drain?

My system has a 3:1 ratio. 3 gallons go down the drain, one gallon goes in the res.

You could reroute the drain line to another res. but the water is gunna have super high ppms.

Tangie--have you tested your water? If so, how many ppms of dissolved solids do you have in your water and what do those dissolved solids consist of?

Orange--I was just going to bring up the same thing. And the worse your water is, the more water you waste. If you have seriously bad water you will waste far more than 3-1. So before you invest in an RO system, be aware that you can bypass 4-5 gallons (or more) of water to get 1 gallon of RO water.

I probably use 10-12 gallons of R/O water a day plus all the the normal usage from the shower and tap and my water/sewage bill never goes above $90.00.

The filters aren't that expensive either. I just replaced all three for $88.90 with shipping included. BetterGrowHydro.com had them for the cheapest.

I've got an RO system I just never hooked it up because we're in a drought here for several years and water is pretty much rationed over the top and you get taxed for using it

The cost of water can vary a whole lot from one place to the next. My sis always has a $90 water and sewer bill. She does no outside watering with this as she has irrigation.

When you are on a private well, you do not have the water costs like you do when you are on a municipal system, but overtaxing the pump with too many turn ons will wear it out prematurely and you want to make sure you do not overtax your drainage field.

Add a booster pump.
Higher psi has less waste water

I'd follow AM advice but you already know that I suggested to use a res and float valve. So Hydro Tech is pretty much the go to RO system for growers it seems.

I'd buy it from a local hydro shop so any warranty can be done threw them if they are a hydro tech dealer plus filters etc

You might want to check out a plumbing supply hoiuse or even HD for an RO system, if you are convinced that you need one (am still cutious though, if you did get your water tested and know what is in it?). You might not actually need an RO. However, I am betting that a plumbing supply house or a big box store will have RO systems cheaper than they are selling them in the hydro stores and you can get the same warranty. There can a big difference in price between RO systems.

. I'd stay away from the big box stores but plumbing supply house is a good call might get it at wholesale price.

What do you guys think of a DIY RO system? Is it possible or just a waste of time?

No, I do not think an RO is something you can DIY. I do want to stress that everyone should have their water tested before they buy an RO.

A lot of times the plumbing supply stores are not cheaper, but you get a lot better quality product for the same price. I don't know about hydro or grow stores in other towns, but the one in the town that I live closest too is very high priced on all their products. Also, I do not trust the local LEOs to not stake out the place and take down license plate numbers.

There are a few DIY gravity filters but each one seems to have some limitation, wether it's not removing chlorine, or not removing bacteria, PIA filters to maintain etc.. I'm still looking into a possible combination of systems just for S&G.

Latest posts

Back