Random Thought Thread

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As the smile ran away from my face...

295695-IMG-4861.jpeg

Humm… thought that was the same thing… will the ones in my pick make new garlic if I plant them? I usually use sets from a garlic…

yes….those are bulbils and are like garlic seeds only more advanced

Planting Garlic Bulbils Another method of garlic plant propagation is through the use of bulbils. Bulbils are located in the scape of hardneck varieties or on the false neck of softneck species. They are small undivided bulbs that can function like seed. The advantages to using bulbils are their ability to prevent soil borne disease and their faster production. Plant garlic bulbils 1 inch (2.5 cm.) deep in fall, much the same way you would plant cloves. Care and cultivation is the same as bulb-planted garlic. Be careful not to weed out the tiny seedlings in spring, which will emerge looking much like common grass. Leave the plants in the ground until the tops turn brown and then harvest. The resulting bulbs will be smaller than those you get when propagating from cloves but equally delicious and you can get many more from bulbils.

Read more at Gardening Know How: Garlic Propagation: Propagating Garlic Cloves And Bulbs Garlic Plant Propagation - Learn How To Propagate Garlic Bulbs And Cloves

yes….those are bulbils and are like garlic seeds only more advanced

Planting Garlic Bulbils Another method of garlic plant propagation is through the use of bulbils. Bulbils are located in the scape of hardneck varieties or on the false neck of softneck species. They are small undivided bulbs that can function like seed. The advantages to using bulbils are their ability to prevent soil borne disease and their faster production. Plant garlic bulbils 1 inch (2.5 cm.) deep in fall, much the same way you would plant cloves. Care and cultivation is the same as bulb-planted garlic. Be careful not to weed out the tiny seedlings in spring, which will emerge looking much like common grass. Leave the plants in the ground until the tops turn brown and then harvest. The resulting bulbs will be smaller than those you get when propagating from cloves but equally delicious and you can get many more from bulbils.

Read more at Gardening Know How: Garlic Propagation: Propagating Garlic Cloves And Bulbs Garlic Plant Propagation - Learn How To Propagate Garlic Bulbs And Cloves
I’ll find a place for them. I really didn’t like the garlic as much this year as I was late to the feed store where I usually buy it and just used some from the market. They didn’t get those beautiful curls and blooms like last year but they did grow and taste ok just a bit smaller.

we love our garlic and try and plant a crop every fall

we are trying some new varieties this year which we bought from a new vendor , Rocky Mountain Garlic out of Salida Colorado

http://www.rockymountaingarlic.net/about-us
Salida is up in the mountains at 7000’ feet

- Slovanian
- Brown Rose
- Colorado Wildfire
- Uzbek
- Evil Temptress
- Lavignia
- Kranagasger

those are the new varieties that we are trying out this year

we will do some sampling and then keep the bulbs from the ones we like and plant them this fall

we had potatoes in this bed last year and just let these volunteers grow up with the garlic……and a couple of Triangle Kush plants for schits and giggles

IMG_4862.jpeg

we love our garlic and try and plant a crop every fall

we are trying some new varieties this year which we bought from a new vendor , Rocky Mountain Garlic out of Salida Colorado

http://www.rockymountaingarlic.net/about-us
Salida is up in the mountains at 7000’ feet

- Slovanian
- Brown Rose
- Colorado Wildfire
- Uzbek
- Evil Temptress
- Lavignia
- Kranagasger

those are the new varieties that we are trying out this year

we will do some sampling and then keep the bulbs from the ones we like and plant them this fall

we had potatoes in this bed last year and just let these volunteers grow up with the garlic……and a couple of Triangle Kush plants for schits and giggles

View attachment 332269

I never knew there were so many varieties. My grocery sells them by the pound large ones I love them but also sells the three pack from China. Have bought these in a pinch but not as good…

Ran across a strange scientific thing about cannabis. I had no idea you could see the trichones under a specific uv light range. I wonder if you could make a device to see when they are ripe? Technically it’s 430nm just outside UV range and quite safe. I located some led modules that work in the 420nm to 430nm range. I may obtain a couple to try it out

Attachments

• IMG_1420.jpeg
    IMG_1420.jpeg
    241.4 KB · Views: 0

Latest posts

Back