Ready or not

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
lol. sorry kf. i am a bit ocd if it was not painfully obvious...

Haha all good buddy.. your just passionate and love what you do! Nothing wrong with that. I truly appreciate all the info you have given me. Wish I had more time to do it properly! Just wanted to give it a shot and see how it went. Cheers

I’d chop any time. Today or in the next couple. I try to chop before the lights come on. Supposedly light degrades THC so I’ve read it is best to harvest just before the lights come on(or sunrise as the case may be)...
I read that the reason to take down the plants before dawn is that the nutrients-- the stuff that you don't want to taste in your buds, vacates the flowers during the darkness and returns to nourish them when daylight arrives. So you get fewer chemicals in your draw that might otherwise cause harshness or other discomforts when you consume. I get up about an hour or so before dawn each time I harvest. It's solemn occasion in some respects. I marshal the plants along every day during the spring and summer. Cutting them down comes with some sorrow. But not a lot.

Today was a bizarro day. It was the first rain of the season, and the rain came early. Yesterday I went into a panic, didn't have anything covering the plants. As mentioned before, the tallest of the four plants was about 9.5 feet high. They are in large pots. We borrowed a canopy from a friend so that we could keep the colas from getting saturated with water. In the pouring rain, we got the two-wheeled dollie and a spool of twine, and had to tie up the heavy branches before moving them the 10 feet so that they could all fit beneath the canopy. Aesthetically, it was a disaster. branches snapped and the plants were nearly leaning out of their soil during the short-lived transport. And the canopy wasn't high enough to comfortably fit the tops of the plants beneath it. So what was, yesterday, a majestic row of high flying pot turned into a drooping hodge-podge of heavy branches that had to defy the gravity and mass of heavy water.

If I can learn from the lesson given to me, I'd remember to prune the plants during their vegetative stage and keep them at a reasonable height. I'd also place the pots further apart so that each plants gets maximum light for all sides. This was the fourth or fifth year of growing plants outdoors, and this was the first time that the rains came so close to completely ruining my crop. In previous years, I was able to take them down just before the rains came, which normally is in early to mid-October (northwestern Oregon is like that)-- plenty of time for the trichomes to develop and turn cloudy (no amber for me, thank you.). The early rain sent me into rush mode. Not good. But if there's good news, it's that the rains will temporarily halt in a couple of days, I'll be able to remove the canopy, and do what I can to dress them up for harvest. I figure that I'll lose about 10-15% of my crop due to the rain. That's bummer because I'd never grown cannabis plants to be as large as these, and just for the fun of it, wanted to find out what my maximum yield would be. It could have been a lot worse...

Last edited:
I read that the reason to take down the plants before dawn is that the nutrients-- the stuff that you don't want to taste in your buds, vacates the flowers during the darkness and returns to nourish them when daylight arrives. So you get fewer chemicals in your draw that might otherwise cause harshness or other discomforts when you consume. I get up about an hour or so before dawn each time I harvest. It's solemn occasion in some respects. I marshal the plants along every day during the spring and summer. Cutting them down comes with some sorrow. But not a lot.

Today was a bizarro day. It was the first rain of the season, and the rain came early. Yesterday I went into a panic, didn't have anything covering the plants. As mentioned before, the tallest of the four plants was about 9.5 feet high. They are in large pots. We borrowed a canopy from a friend so that we could keep the colas from getting saturated with water. In the pouring rain, we got the two-wheeled dollie and a spool of twine, and had to tie up the heavy branches before moving them the 10 feet so that they could all fit beneath the canopy. Aesthetically, it was a disaster. branches snapped and the plants were nearly leaning out of their soil during the short-lived transport. And the canopy wasn't high enough to comfortably fit the tops of the plants beneath it. So what was, yesterday, a majestic row of high flying pot turned into a drooping hodge-podge of heavy branches that had to defy the gravity and mass of heavy water.

If I can learn from the lesson given to me, I'd remember to prune the plants during their vegetative stage and keep them at a reasonable height. I'd also place the pots further apart so that each plants gets maximum light for all sides. This was the fourth or fifth year of growing plants outdoors, and this was the first time that the rains came so close to completely ruining my crop. In previous years, I was able to take them down just before the rains came, which normally is in early to mid-October (northwestern Oregon is like that)-- plenty of time for the trichomes to develop and turn cloudy (no amber for me, thank you.). The early rain sent me into rush mode. Not good. But if there's good news, it's that the rains will temporarily halt in a couple of days, I'll be able to remove the canopy, and do what I can to dress them up for harvest. I figure that I'll lose about 10-15% of my crop due to the rain. That's bummer because I'd never grown cannabis plants to be as large as these, and just for the fun of it, wanted to find out what my maximum yield would be. It could have been a lot worse...

I feel sad when I chop my plants too. My house plants are essentially pets to me and I don’t even take as good care of them as I do my cannabis plants. lol...

Actually, it really does not matter what time of day you harvest. THC does not degrade during the day and build itself back up at night. Light is okay for growing bud--that is how we get bud in the first place. You want to keep it out of light after it is harvested. Ditto with the nutes--they don't go anywhere at night. You will want to slow down or stop giving nutrients a week to 10 days before you harvest to try and let the plant use up stored nutrients. And you will find that if you have large outdoor plants, you trim all the time...for days and days and days. And you really don't care what time of day it is. So even if it did matter, you just get to where you don't care...you just want the trimming to be done.

I am wondering if your plants can actually be ready though. I am in northeastern Oregon (close to the 45th parallel) and my plants are still weeks and weeks away from harvest. Can you post up some more pics before you harvest?

N
Actually, it really does not matter what time of day you harvest. THC does not degrade during the day and build itself back up at night. Light is okay for growing bud--that is how we get bud in the first place. You want to keep it out of light after it is harvested. Ditto with the nutes--they don't go anywhere at night. You will want to slow down or stop giving nutrients a week to 10 days before you harvest to try and let the plant use up stored nutrients. And you will find that if you have large outdoor plants, you trim all the time...for days and days and days. And you really don't care what time of day it is. So even if it did matter, you just get to where you don't care...you just want the trimming to be done.

I am wondering if your plants can actually be ready though. I am in northeastern Oregon (close to the 45th parallel) and my plants are still weeks and weeks away from harvest. Can you post up some more pics before you harvest?
ot

Not sure if your talking to me or buddy that commented before you.. but how do you know when I started my plant/plants? It’s indoors not out.

Latest posts

Back