Reusing soil

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cardgenius

Reaction score
Plants are ready for harvest and I’d like to reuse the soil for one of the next rounds of growing. Is there anything I have to do to it to get it ready or can I just re amend the soil and it’s good to go?

In my experience soil can only be re-used once, after that it's no-good. If you are feeding your roots right, there shouldn't be any loose soil left. I had better results with new soil every time. Remove all roots and mix with fresh bagged soil Roots Organics is best. Basically I would spend the money and buy new soil. JMO

Personally I reuse mine...I have a couple batches that I rotate . Add amendments and then allow it to cook 6-8 weeks...it is something you have to plan and work at...but organics are worth it in my opinion. If you need it now...as rubrown stated...bag soil may be the way to go. Good luck!

I had the same question a while back and some people said one and done and others said they re-use over and over. Since some folks had good results re-using I gave it a try adding some amendments (kind of a random mix of what I grabbed at the hardware store like composted manure, worm castings, rock dust, etc). It seems to work fine but I am just on my 2nd grow in the re-used soil so it may very well get ‘spent’ at some point.

Awesome info everyone. I don’t need it right away so I’ll amend the soil and let it cook for a while.

Will it put off a strong smell while it cooks? It’s still too cold outside at night so I’ll have to keep it inside.

After you read this then you realize why, now remove all and remaining root structure, spread the clean soil out on newspapers, let it dry out completely. Remember decaying matter creates bacteria that dies, then it stinks, then it creates acid, nothing good will grow in that. Imagine, you know what I'm telling you. Perhaps you could give yourself permission to spend thirty bucks on a bag of Roots Organics Original after you find yourself in the grow store. Happy trails to you.

Hmmmm, and here I thought I knew what I was doing. I guess I better quit while I'm ahead. Can't get roots organics so must not be able to use this dirt. I better try water gardening I guess. Need any special water or can I just use the stuff from the well?

LOL, there's so much good bagged dirt everywhere, it's part of the fun, getting it right, the way that works for what you have on hand. We can be our own expert here, without harm, especially to finances. Small time soil is cheap, it's what low watts mandate. Hydroponics is a lot of work that should have high watts to justify the constant adjustments. Just my opinion, have fun with it, man.

Last edited:
The purpose of cooking soil is to break down everything….including roots. I never worry about roots being in the mix, they will break down just like all the amendments that you add. If your soil smells bad, that means that it has gone anaerobic. Cooking soil is somewhat like compost--you need to keep it moist and turn it so it has oxygen. If it smells bad something is not right.

After you read this then you realize why, now remove all and remaining root structure, spread the clean soil out on newspapers, let it dry out completely. Remember decaying matter creates bacteria that dies, then it stinks, then it creates acid, nothing good will grow in that. Imagine, you know what I'm telling you. Perhaps you could give yourself permission to spend thirty bucks on a bag of Roots Organics Original after you find yourself in the grow store. Happy trails to you.

I get the sentiment but for me I’d rather do it the hard while I learn as much as I can about organic growing. I’m still very new to growing but I’m in this for the long haul and organics is how I’m going to grow. I’ve read through a lot of grow journals and have seen a lot of pictures and can see that using dry amendments while reusing your soil has a pretty good ROI. While I love supporting my local grow shop or nursery, I do see the wasteful side of buying and throwing away soil for every grow.

I've been reusing my soil without any problems for a long time.
I have totes full of the previous grows soil I ammend slightly, and I also use a cup or 2 of bokashi mixed into it, which also helps keep any bad bacteria from getting a good start. (No bad smells)
Usual time it "cooks" is 3-4 months. Turning frequently is necessary also to allow oxygen throughout. Little root fibers are welcome additions to the organic growing medium. Leave them in.
It IS work, but anything worth having is worth working for.

We adapt in a sequential manner, according to the conditions we have on hand. Saving money is always a good idea, when you have your own space it's easier to do so. There isn't much work to it if you're just taking care of yourself. A 1.5 cf bag will last a self-sustaining grower a year, that's 35 bucks. This is my third round with a cleaned 1.5 cf bag of Roots Organics re-claim with some added soil. Sure, not much by count, but it's just for me. Each to his own, by considering the opinions and practices of others is how we learn. It's a lifelong process.

I use Sunshine Mix #4 and grow organically. All amendments need to be added as the soil has none. I have reused it by pulling the old root ball out and mixing in some new soil. Did not notice any difference. I use Advanced nutrients.

Latest posts

Back