root bound in net pots ?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PUFF MONKEY

TOWELIE IS MADE OF HEMP
Reaction score
as some of you may know, i've recently planted all my DNA freebies and they are currently in veg..my question is about clones becoming root bound during flowering. they are being vegged in 6" net pots and will be flowered in 10" meshbottom pots. does it sound like i would run into rootbound problems ??? i wanna work out the kinks early...also the tray can fill to as high as 6" of water to wet higher roots.:)

PUFF MONKEY,

I don't think you can root bind a plant in a net pot and hydro because the roots grow through the pot into tray. However, I keep seeing more experienced growers saying that too small of pots will stunt the growth of the plant, so maybe. Hopefully some one who knows will answer your question.

I have a different question about what you are doing and if you want me to I can start a different thread. If you are concerned about the 6" being too small, why not just switch them to the bigger pots right away?

Second, how do you transplant from a 6" net pot into a 10" net bottom pot? How do you get the roots back through the net pot without damaging them?

Finally, is a net bottom pot one with solid side walls and a net bottom? If so what is the reason for using it to flower but not to veg too?

Thanks.

Great smoking.

DonJones said:
PUFF MONKEY,
I don't think you can root bind a plant in a net pot and hydro because the roots grow through the pot into tray.
Finally, is a net bottom pot one with solid side walls and a net bottom?
quote]

Maybe theres your answer to your problem.. if there walled net bottom potsmaybe the growth of the roots are getting tangled and clogging up the bottom of the pots... since theres no room for the roots to shoot out the sides as well.... why not start and end in 10" nest pots??
LH

DonJones said:
PUFF MONKEY,

I don't think you can root bind a plant in a net pot and hydro because the roots grow through the pot into tray. However, I keep seeing more experienced growers saying that too small of pots will stunt the growth of the plant, so maybe. Hopefully some one who knows will answer your question.

I have a different question about what you are doing and if you want me to I can start a different thread. If you are concerned about the 6" being too small, why not just switch them to the bigger pots right away?

Second, how do you transplant from a 6" net pot into a 10" net bottom pot? How do you get the roots back through the net pot without damaging them?

Finally, is a net bottom pot one with solid side walls and a net bottom? If so what is the reason for using it to flower but not to veg too?

Thanks.

Great smoking.
i have to veg clones in 6" because i can't fit 18 10" pots in my little 3x3 veg tray ..a net pot is basically a sturdy plastic net..the mesh bottom pots are the ones with solid walls....the reason i ask about rootbinding is because in one of my larger plants, when i pour water in from the top the rock tend to float out because the root mass is blocking the water from draining fast enough..my clones will only reach a 3rd of the size of the forementioned plant though.

Puff Monkey,

I am still puzzled how you transplant from a net pot without damaging the roots.

Great smoking.

I thought the only reason you needed to transplant a pot from a net pot in hydro is to give it a stronger base, because the secondary roots are thin and not like the tap root so they dont get stuck in the pots?

if that was the case you could just put it in a bigger net pot with the smaller pot still there and fill in with hydroton couldnt you?

that is exactly what I do, but what do us newbies know????? :cool:

hi there everybody, i got a couple crazy pics here for a discussion along these lines. i dunno about rootbound in a net pot because i have a job that takes me away from home for near 2 weeks at a time and i tried putting a little dip/cream cheese container in the net pot first and then a few pellets, the plant and pellets on top. my thinking was in case of emergency there may be a day or two of water trapped in the containers to keep the girls alive till i get home(due to previous incident with tragic ending :( ). so the end result was this...

pics 1-4 are the root mass and the plant it came from 5+6 are pics of four plants growing in a pot and the plants produced and the last pic is a bud from one of the four.(3 left cuz one hermied and had to go)

IMG_1901.JPG IMG_2336.JPG IMG_2334.JPG IMG_2269.JPG IMG_1952-1.JPG IMG_1945.JPG IMG_1944.JPG

so i dunno what to say, maybe i will wait for a little more discussion. i had 8 pots like this and the only one to flow over was the one with the 4 plants. i run a top feed drip 24/7 and have my rez's aerated with an air pump and aquarium stones.:48: happy growing.

Puff, when I was switching to hydro, I didnt know if I wanted a flood tray or the Ebb & Grow system.. What made up my mind was the fact that ebb & Grow uses 2 gallon buckets, plenty of room for a huge plant..

Also remember, square pots take up less room for the same amount of media, try some 7 or 8 in square pots, most of those are at least 2 gallons...

DonJones said:
Puff Monkey,

I am still puzzled how you transplant from a net pot without damaging the roots.

Great smoking.
sorry for the late reply...i just set the 6" inside the 10" and fill around it with hydroton.;)

MindzEye said:
Puff, when I was switching to hydro, I didnt know if I wanted a flood tray or the Ebb & Grow system.. What made up my mind was the fact that ebb & Grow uses 2 gallon buckets, plenty of room for a huge plant..

Also remember, square pots take up less room for the same amount of media, try some 7 or 8 in square pots, most of those are at least 2 gallons...
actually, square pots take up less room and hold MORE medium lol..

Latest posts

Back