Rosebuds dirt journal

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
engneer said:
Hi Rosie. Dried Blood is an excellent source of slow release, organic nitrogen and I add 1 cup to one cubic foot of dirt. IMO, for organic growing it is an essential amendment.

Thank you, yes I used it years ago but the american rose society came out against it during the mad cow thing so I quit using it then. But if i can get the cottonseed here i will use that this time. Thanks for stopping in.

huge news for the rice hulls---looking forward to hearing how you like them---still can't find them here and am gonna ask the feed store to order them for me---hope i don't get stuck with the whole 50lb bag

The rice hulls were a great idea, i can see why Nchef likes them. I can't wait to get it all together. I really need to get a life, no one should be this happy about dirt and rice hulls.
Thanks Orange.

Rice Hulls are something that is in the organic soil I buy down in the valley.

They look very clean, to go in dirt and i can see why they would work well instead of peralite. Is your soil a good price TC? I wish someone here did that, but i don't know how much of a need there is here. I live in the -use every kind of chemical - farming community. we do have a couple of organic orchards and such, but not like I bet you have in Cali. I sure am enjoying your photo up there.

Hey Rosie, Just stopping in to say high, :ciao: . I'll have to get the recipe from you when I can start growing. I am hoping to go all organic, but need a guinea pig so I don't screw things up, and that's you. LOL :eek: The different recipes are interesting. Take care Rosebud. :)

I am happy to be your guinea pig. I am glad you stopped in PP. I will be glad when you can start a grow.

How was your night last night Orange? Hope you had fun. It is cold but I am decorating the marijuana christmas tree so i am having some fun.

nice---thanks for asking---think i am gonna decorate one of my pot plants too---not quite ready to break out the decorations just yet---last night was a good time---nice stroll in the downtown district with the gf---little chilly---few cocktails---appitizers in one spot---dinner at another---was wearing my special cologne---o-de-reeking-of-the-ganja---lol---fun times---pretty small town---been here a long time---ran into some peeps i know---passed out by midnight in my own bed---a good night lol

Rosebud said:
They look very clean, to go in dirt and i can see why they would work well instead of peralite. Is your soil a good price TC? I wish someone here did that, but i don't know how much of a need there is here. I live in the -use every kind of chemical - farming community. we do have a couple of organic orchards and such, but not like I bet you have in Cali. I sure am enjoying your photo up there.

If I remember correctly, that organic mix from a landscape business was about $60 for a pick up load (a square yard?). I do remember that at the Worm Farm in Durham that a load was $60 (a loader bucket full, almost up to the top of the pick up truck bed). I still have worms in my soil from that place. Compared to the Ocean Forest we were getting a good deal IMO.

Glad you are enjoying the photo. It smokes real nice too, in my top three from this summer.

Rosebud said:
I am happy to be your guinea pig. I am glad you stopped in PP. I will be glad when you can start a grow.

I was going to ask Hamster but didn't want to offend him. LOL :D I am so ready to start growing, gotta get a camera though. I told my son we need to start getting some seeds so we don't have to buy everything at once. I might buy a tent, but not sure on that just yet. Things are so expensive :shocked: especially with little income. I'll get there though. :cool: :farm: Just a matter of time. It's good to type to you Rosebud, take care and be safe. Happy Holidays!!

Happy holidays to you too PP.

Well, the dirt is done. I solemnly swear that I will not hold NChef in anyway responsible if the dirt sucks. I did the best I could but it is not his recipe. Smells like the farm right now which is ok with me. So i will let it set for a while, i doubt it will get hot as it is cold outside. I wish i would have put it in the garage but it is too late and too heavy to move now. I can always put some in some pots and bring them in the garage. hm..Yea, I got dirt.

Rosebud said:
Happy holidays to you too PP.

Well, the dirt is done. I solemnly swear that I will not hold NChef in anyway responsible if the dirt sucks. I did the best I could but it is not his recipe. Smells like the farm right now which is ok with me. So i will let it set for a while, i doubt it will get hot as it is cold outside. I wish i would have put it in the garage but it is too late and too heavy to move now. I can always put some in some pots and bring them in the garage. hm..Yea, I got dirt.

So the only diff was blood meal instead of soy? Where is it cooking at? Not outside, right?

I guess i wasn't clear that yes it is outside as it is too heavy to move to the garage. I guess cooking is the wrong word. Although my compost pile is always warm.

What is bio-tone. I don't have that either.

Rosebud said:
I guess i wasn't clear that yes it is outside as it is too heavy to move to the garage. I guess cooking is the wrong word. Although my compost pile is always warm.

What is bio-tone. I don't have that either.

Oh boy. LOL. You didnt think about weight, to move it around before you made the batch? Outside they will stay dormant and not become active or very little. While I have never really cooked it outside in winter, I cant say it will for sure play a role, bad or good. Also you could bring in a very serious bug problem.

Bio-tone is at the HomeDepot. By Epsoma.

Well like I said Nouvelle, (which is what I call you, ha) you can have the glory but none of the disappointment if it doesn't work out well. Like I said my compost heap usually has some heat. It isnt' below zero or anything.
Are you thinking I should pot up the pots and bring them in.
What bugs are out there in this cold weather? .

Rosebud said:
Well like I said Nouvelle, (which is what I call you, ha) you can have the glory but none of the disappointment if it doesn't work out well. Like I said my compost heap usually has some heat. It isnt' below zero or anything.
Are you thinking I should pot up the pots and bring them in.
What bugs are out there in this cold weather? .

I know. But I want to see it work well! I know the potential it holds as we have all seen lots of pics from it. But trial and error is how it came about. So let the fun begin.

IDK. I just assume there is always bugs outside. So my soil never sees it.

I hear you about the bugs. I appreciate you caring that it works well. I will go to the H depot and get the biotone.
I was thinking a box of guano wouldn't hurt, it is used up faster then the soybean meal though huh.
It looks great, i loved seeing all the different colors of amendments and think of where they all came from, pretty fun stuff for an old stoner.

Latest posts

Back