Rosebuds dirt journal

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Rosebud said:
Hi Guys,
I have a new tent. Here is a pic of the veg in the new tent.View attachment 180319

NC, are you here? I am about ready to use blood meal instead of the soy that i can't get, and perilite for the rice hulls. I want to get this going. What do you think? Any suggestions please?

Really? Crazy you cant get soy. You called Conway? PM me your zipcode and I will find it for you. I am really against using blood. I have done it and the results were less than stunning. It works. But not like soy. No rice hulls, no biggie on that one.

dman1234 said:
Rose, I dont know if I just got lucky with a single seed but my Buku,(Burmese Kush) is some of the finest smoke we have had, Its very popular with any friend i smoke it with.
I will be interested to see if you get somthing similar or if I just got lucky once.

I have been following your grow and it did look great. I hope this one is a good one. I cloned it based on your grow, so thanks. Is it couch lock?

Good Morning Rose,

Could you tell me what "thrip" is? i see it mentioned here and there n this site and I am not familiar with the term.

Good looking stuff you got going on here. I'm learning a lot from it.

Thanks for sharing,

MC

PS. Argos sends a hug back at you:D

Rosebud said:
I have been following your grow and it did look great. I hope this one is a good one. I cloned it based on your grow, so thanks. Is it couch lock?

Yes it can be couch lock easily if left long, mine was an early finnisher so there is the oppourtunity to take some early and some late, the thing i love is how dense and hard the nuggs are.

mainechowder said:
Good Morning Rose,

Could you tell me what "thrip" is? i see it mentioned here and there n this site and I am not familiar with the term.

Good looking stuff you got going on here. I'm learning a lot from it.

Thanks for sharing,

MC

PS. Argos sends a hug back at you:D

I wish I could hug Argos. What a great guy, I can tell.

Thrips are little tiny insects that eat tiny holes in the leaves and deposit their eggs in the leaves. It can look like a "water mark" around the edge of the leaves. They aren't as destructive as spider mites. However, after spraying they will need to be sprayed again as the eggs hatch about every 4-5 days. They can be clear colored, or light green or white and have black beady eyes that scare me when looked at with a scope.

Does that help? Thank you for stopping by and give Argos an extra treat.

Rosebud said:
I wish I could hug Argos. What a great guy, I can tell.

Thrips are little tiny insects that eat tiny holes in the leaves and deposit their eggs in the leaves. It can look like a "water mark" around the edge of the leaves. They aren't as destructive as spider mites. However, after spraying they will need to be sprayed again as the eggs hatch about every 4-5 days. They can be clear colored, or light green or white and have black beady eyes that scare me when looked at with a scope.

Does that help? Thank you for stopping by and give Argos an extra treat.

Great information. I have seen the word "thrips" thrown around here on the site, but wasn't quite sure what it was exactly. Thank you for filling me in, now I have one more thing to look forward to once I start growing indoors.:rolleyes:

MC

Hiya Rosebud!

Not really into keeping a journal but I think you'd like to know my breeding run has started!! :D

GChem.jpg

It's a GChem from a private breeder friend in Australia...

GChem11 - TangerineHaze x PlatinumKush (m) x Chemdawg D (f) 3

Hey Oso, I see your modesty is intact with your signature line.HAHAHAHA Good to see you and green mojo to the breeding journey.

Speaking of Green mojo, I need some. Last grow i underfed, read starved, my plants and this grow i have weird fake green and nute burn. What happened to the grower i used to be?

Can't wait to get my dirt done. Anyone know a substitute for the soybean meal from NChef's recipe???? That is all i am waiting for.

This dirt is outside on the patio and it is below freezing here, will the active microbes live through the winter? Should I water it all in? Or wait to water each pot? Hm help is needed.
Here is the flower room, Medicine woman, train wreck, hashberry, 2nd pic trainwreck, the last two are medicine women.
DSCF1222.JPG

DSCF1223.JPG

DSCF1224.JPG

DSCF1225.JPG

Thanks for stopping by.

Looking excellent Rosebud.

Hope you are having a wonderful Holiday Season.

:ciao: Rosebud---always nice to see you---i like your lineup---and the grow is looking good too---:hubba:---i would pm nc for the substitute and might guess that he would suggest hitting the alfalfa a little harder---no doubt i'll be wrong---but it is just a guess---still eating leftovers here---making a huge pot of split pea and ham soup today---hope you are well---

thanks TC, it is a little bit of a challenge this grow..

Hey Orange, thanks for stopping by. Ham and pea soup sounds wonderful. I ate too much that is for sure. I am over that I hope. you made me laugh yesterday again so thank you. I can't remember what it was, perhaps i am stoned.

I asked NChef if i could use blood meal and he said no. I just hope this dirt works out. I put a 5 gallons of homemade compost in it. I would like to use more, but it has a lot of coffee grounds and kitchen scraps so i would think that would help the N, but it is a guess to see how hot my compost is. I have only used it outside on the hydrangeas. Dirt bla bla dirt bla.

you are welcome---i love to make peeps smile and laugh---my sense of humor usually pisses people off though :doh: ---you can simply feel how hot it is by just putting your hand in it for a couple seconds---it is literal when peeps say it is hot---sounds like you made up for the lack of soy with your own goodies---much mojo for you and yours

Hi Rose- Can you get cottonseed meal? It's a good N source that should give you about 3-4 months feed. Another source is feather meal, but iIME it doesn't last very long.

I hope all is well with you.

Yes, I can get cottonseed meal.

I was hoping you would come by BBFan. When I mix this all up how long should it set until I use it?

I am well, thank you. Getting pretty excited over dirt though.
How are you?

I called around and found no soybean. Just keep a eye out. I guess If all you can get is blood. Roll with that. How much per cf. IDK. I forgot, it's been so long since I used it. But I remember it was never enough to keep it lush until late flower. Always does put around week 4-5.

You like blood better then soybean? How long does it set after i mix it all up, until i can use it? Thank you for looking NChef, i appreciate you holding my hand through this.

The rice hulls are on their way. So if i know it is going to run out at week 4-5, couldn't i do something else then? The soy is for N correct?

Rosebud said:
You like blood better then soybean? How long does it set after i mix it all up, until i can use it? Thank you for looking NChef, i appreciate you holding my hand through this.

The rice hulls are on their way. So if i know it is going to run out at week 4-5, couldn't i do something else then? The soy is for N correct?

Oh no. Soybean hands down.

Yes. A bottle of Roots or the like for some extra N will be required when using blood meal. At least from the runs I did with it.

Rosebud said:
Yes, I can get cottonseed meal.

I was hoping you would come by BBFan. When I mix this all up how long should it set until I use it?

I am well, thank you. Getting pretty excited over dirt though.
How are you?

Hi Rose- Been busy lately, but doing great.

For a long breakdown period I would absolutely go with the cottonseed meal over the blood meal. Cottonseed is as good as soy. Like I said, excellent source of N along with some P and K.

Bad news is, if you got it in pots outside and the temps are near freezing, the microbial activity goes pretty dormant under those conditions. They'll kick back into gear come spring, but you'll still need to let it cook a while.

Also- wanted to clarify this:
BBFan said:
Another source is feather meal, but iIME it doesn't last very long.
What I actually meant was it takes too long to break down in our type of growing- great for other container growing or in the beds.

Rosebud said:
Hi Guys,
I have a new tent. Here is a pic of the veg in the new tent.View attachment 180319

NC, are you here? I am about ready to use blood meal instead of the soy that i can't get, and perilite for the rice hulls. I want to get this going. What do you think? Any suggestions please?

Hi Rosie. Dried Blood is an excellent source of slow release, organic nitrogen and I add 1 cup to one cubic foot of dirt. IMO, for organic growing it is an essential amendment.

Ok, this is big news: RICE HULLS

DSCF1226.JPG

I will be continuing my dirt building and hopefully finish it this weekend. I have rice hulls, thanks again Duck for the link.

Latest posts

Back