salmon guts for fert.??????????

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

edward

Reaction score
can i use salmon guts for fert. if so how. im in alska and though alot of guts overboard can i mix them with dirt and let it compost. :confused:

not quite sure how but yeah, you can use it.

i wouldnt use this crap indoors, imagine the smells and the pests

yeah smell is going be the big problem. composting with EM will make it decompose faster and remove all smells.

it will work.....the best way i think would be to just mix them with dirt now and start letting them break down...then when you start growing..your soil should have already started breaking down the nutes from you guts.

I'd also pay attention to the ph levels so it doesn't shoot through the roof and burn your plants up

Heemhoff17 said:
it will work.....the best way i think would be to just mix them with dirt now and start letting them break down...then when you start growing..your soil should have already started breaking down the nutes from you guts.

I'd also pay attention to the ph levels so it doesn't shoot through the roof and burn your plants up
Actually a low ph while composting is a good thing. Decomposition thru acidification.

we have used fish guts in our compost piles for the veggy garden for yrs. I just add to the compost pile after a fishing trip, by the time it gets put in the garden the next yr there is no smell...but I have not brought this stuff in the house yet either.

I use fish guts in my outdoor grow holes every year :aok:

One of the free GO nutes I got is a fish emulsion...the stuff reeks!

the chef said:
I use an emulsion what about creating that?

Typically in commercial applications valuable meat, proteins for fish meal and oils are removed. Then the by-products are heated with water to at least 180 degrees F. That kills unwanted pathogens, bacteria etc. It also eliminates some of the smell - only some. The stuff will stink. Then it's stabilized using phosphoric acid but home brews can use more organic products with similar results.

The solution should be boiled down about 50% or so. 5 gallons of water should produce about 2.5 gallons of product.

Not that it needs to be said, but don't do it indoors! :eek:

The solution then needs filtration and should get air-infused prior to application. The less you filter, the more insoluble N. will be added. Although this is known for not burning plants. Home made emulsions can be fairly strong. Specifically because at home we usually don't remove oils/proteins etc. Many of the vitamins, minerals and general nutrients are chelated and ready for absorption.

In regards to composting, adding some enzymes, ground sea weed or even Molasses w/ water will help things will speed the process up a little.

Best of luck................:bong:

Great info, but still i wonder wouldn't the home brewed stuff be more beneficial? If ya learned how to ...fine tune it?

I think a home grew would be more beneficial for sure Chef. I've played around with it a few times in the past. I used striper caught off Cape cod. I'm positive you could get a nice veg. appropriate solution.

Latest posts

Back