Sativas:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Poet

Reaction score
Amigos...

Original Haze, a Sativa, takes 14 weeks to flower.
Indica strains like Mastodon takes 7 weeks!

Does this mean that Sativa takes longer to harvest than Indica?
Well... yes, and who wants to wait an extra month to harvest in order to have Sativa? But wait!...

I read that Sativa grows so tall that Sativa should not be 'vegged' but flowered as soon as it is sprouted.
I veg my plants to nearly 2' before flipping and that takes 2 - 2.5 months.
If a Sativa can be flipped as soon as it is sprouted and indoors will grow to 5' from seed, even though it has had no veg time isn't that better than a 2 month veg.
{It is vegging but under 12/12 and for one month rather than two.} ie. cheaper.

Mastodon: plant and veg for 2 months/flip and harvest in 7 weeks.

Sativa: {Haze} plant, no veg, flip and "They will begin to flower in 4 weeks"
then harvest in 14 more weeks. =18 weeks.

So... doesn't this mean the Mastodon takes 14 weeks and Original haze takes 18?
That in addition, the Sativa being under 12/12 to veg a month is cheaper than vegging under 18 hours light for two months?
If so it makes Sativa's look much better than I had originally supposed.

https://oldschoolba.com/old-school-shop/hybrid/original-haze-seeds

Hmmmm...

The Poet...

Mebeafarmer,

Thank you Mebe,
I was wondering that about Sativas.
If I 'vegged' one for 4 weeks at 18 hours would it work?
Mastodon vegging for 2.5 months vs Sativa vegging for one month...
I have heard that yield on Sativas is poor but the ad for 'Old School Breeders' says 2 Lbs per plant outside!

If I vegged for one month I wonder what I would end up with?
Also when is a Sativa at sexual maturity? I can't really tell.
That is how much vegging they would need before flipping.

Ever grown Sativa?

The Poet...

Hi Poet,
It depends on the strain. Satori is a sativa like high that is grown on a nice hybrid plant. I veg around 8 weeks or until they show sex then harvest in 63 days from flip. I have not grown a haze. i love smoking them. I think it just depends on what you are looking at. Yes 100% sativa is a mess to grow for me.

Rosebud...

A very good response and thank you.
I think I will just stick with the Satori.
But what do you look for when determining them showing sex?
[I could just wait two months}

Mr. Poet...

satori takes a long time to sex. 8 weeks average I bet. Some people flip them to 12/12 earlier so that will make them show sex earlier if they are showing alternating nodes and are mature.
Oh and Mr Poet, I veg for 24 hours a day.They grow faster and don't need a dark period. I was surprised when i learned that.

Have grown Dr. Grinspoon (100% sativa) and Tangerine Dream (sativa dominant). The good Dr. will run away from ya, needs to be topped a few times. Kept her around 5 foot. T.D. needed to be topped once or twice, finished about 4'-4 1/2'. Both favorites of mine. Ghost Train Haze ain`t bad either, real good as a matter of fact.

Latest posts

Back