See my first grow.please!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

iminsideurmind

Reaction score
I have to say this is a really nice forum. I cant wait to learn from you all. I have posted this once or twice but no comments. I am starting a thread. Plus I just figured out how to get my pics here. Please comment so I know what I can do to make my grow better. If I leave out details please ask.

I have my plants in the corner of my attic. 2 walls and a white blanket making the other walls. The area is about 6 ft tall bout 2ft deep and maybe 3ft wide. I have 3x40 watt hanging over the 2 plants. I also have 3x26 watt CFL's pointing up on the plants. In this lil space is an a/c unit because it is so hot in my attic.

Right now my plants are sitting on the floor leaving 3 ft above. I was wondering should I elevate the plants? I am thinking being closer to the roof it will reflect more light. However I was worried that the cool air from the a/c being only inches from the plants might shock them. So I set them on the floor. Any help on that is appreciated.I am also running like 12,600 lumens between all these lights how much more should I need?

As you can see the lights are inches from the plants. I think that should help a little. Please advise!

1_new_setup.jpg

growroom 1.jpg

growroom 2.jpg

Your lights *all* need to be directed down, not up. When a plant "sees" light coming from the bottom, it will stretch and not grow the way you want them to. The light is seen as reflected light from another plant trying to take over it's space. That's why they will stretch.

The formula for lighting is a minimum of 3,000 lumens per/sq ft of plant canopy. 5,000 is much better.

If you either use mylar or flat white paint on your walls, you'll maximze the reflective light.

Good luck man.

cheers stoney , didnt know bout the lights at the bottom

Thank you so much. I will be moving them today. I really think at least 1 is female. At the top several nodes I can see what appears to be pistils. On the other planr on only 1 node looks like balls. They are really really small so maybe I am tripping.

What about raising the plants close to the roof for better light reflection.
They will have cold air blowing directly on them though.

I guess I should start a grow journal seems like my comments belong in there and not here.

I wanna keep telling every little thing sorry i get excited easily

Thats alright my son. Our first grow is always the most exciting. Start this grow journal of which you speak, and inform us how it goes later. Peace.

Hey I am in my 8th day of flowering. One plant is showing preflowers. I see that it has an alternating node. However I topped the other one before the nodes started alternating. Will this plant show sex? Or does it just take longer because i topped it to soon?

ok i must be doing something wrong here I cant get any answers to my questions. I suppose there is a good reason. However I am gonna ask another one and see If I can get some help. As u know i had 2 plants. I found one had some very obvious balls showing this morning. Up until now I saw no signs of sex on that plant.

It seems like an awful lot of the balls popped up. coming out near the top where all the new growth is coming from. It seems like lots of small ball shaped clusters. I also read that the growth im talking about can be looking like males but end up not being male.

My other plant has growth at the nodes that appears to be pistils. However I read 2d that claw shaped pistillates are going to be male. I am curious why 1 plant showed nothing until the balls showed up. I have seen these pistils for several days but no hairs coming out yet. Please help, does growth at the nodes in the shape of a claw or curved down, but like a bananna or something mean it will be male

Please Help!

And personally I wouldnt raise your plants up. Since this is your first grow just keep it simple and not do any kind of experimenting. They would probably be fine but if the cold air did effect them then you would be kicking yourself in the ***.

that is by far the best pic ive seen of the males. thanks... mine was not developed to that extent but it helps none the less. thanks for the reply!

Stoney Bud said:
Your lights *all* need to be directed down, not up. When a plant "sees" light coming from the bottom, it will stretch and not grow the way you want them to. The light is seen as reflected light from another plant trying to take over it's space. That's why they will stretch.

IF THIS IS TRUE ? then why do we all use reflective materials in the room? Are all the plants stretching? ?????

If you either use mylar or flat white paint on your walls, you'll maximze the reflective light.

?????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

I have a light pointed at the undergrowth of two of my plants and I havent seen any stretching at all.

iminsideurmind said:
that is by far the best pic ive seen of the males. thanks... mine was not developed to that extent but it helps none the less. thanks for the reply!

As a general rule pre flowers slowely begin forming from week 4-6 of veg after having 2 weeks of good germination/seedling growth, when very small the males look like little clubs ( balls ). Females as you know have the two white pistals.

Spotting those males an gettin them out asap can start then.

Experiance and a good eye is your best friend

Well Im in day 13 of flowering, finally my first definate signs of a female.
I topped the plant when I started flowering, I know prolly a mistake. It has recovered nicely and is growing well. Im thinking another week and I should start seeing buds forming.

I generally keep the room at 80 degrees or so. Plant was topped to 2 ft now prolly up to 3 ft. Seconday branching is looking nice. Plant is not as bushy as I would like but, overall bery nice. I trimmed some burned ends due to touching the lights. I hope that is OK. Thanks for all the replies.

Hey im back....I am at day 30 of flowering. I used bagseed and it is a sativa from hell. It looks alot like puffthemagicdragons. Except I topped mine the first day of flowering,so it has 2 top branches. My problem is my plant is touching the roof of the growspace. I am not sure if I should leave it alone or top it so that i can get adequate light to shine down on the buds.

Right now there are two 40w floros running horizontily between the 2 tops. It isnt getting great light. I think light shining direct;y down would be alot better for bud growth. I have a total of 3 40w and 3 26w 3000k and 2 27w 6500k lights. I know its not ideal but its all I have. This damn plant has grown like wild its at least 6 feet tall. Any advice on what to do with her?

Wots up, insideurmind.

IMHO, I wouldnt top again especially if ur 30 days into flower.
The hormones required to flower adequetly take approx 2-4 weeks of uninterupted/stress free growth before they reach the top of the plant otherwise flowering is/can be stunted until this hormone is regenerated to adequet levels.
In an ideal world(I know its not an ideal world), plants should only be topped once at approx week 5/6 of veg to give time for recovery.
This is also similar to prunning leaves. Even if a leaf looks dead chances are it is still photosynthisising(wrong spelling) and feed those all important healthy bits. Have one good prunning session in veg and then just leave them to fall off.A 80% dead leaf will still feed a plant.
Ur height issue is probably best sorted by LST(low stress training).Tie the tops down gently so ur grop tips are pointing down. Stems will take a lot of bending if done carefully. The tips will then start growing towards the light again but where uve tied em down you have gained anything from 1-3 feet of grow height in you cab.
Good luck my friend

ok so i bent and tied my 2 top branches. I am nervous now its so bushy i cant really get my light to it as good as i could. I will update in a few days when i can c what its gonna do next.

why would it all of a sudden start leaning and pulling the roots up a lil bit. You can see the soil kinda rise up if u just let it lean over. I tried to tie it straight up or as close as possible. I am thinking water weight has it leaning but idk...i woke up and it was leaning.

geez this thing is a monster...over 6 ft tall and now bent and tied to be really big around.

Latest posts

Back