Seed Question... Auto Flower or Feminized or Mini ??? In need of suggestions.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jabrw0ke

Reaction score
Hello all,
It's been a while since I've been on here, I've been busy and my computer took a nice turn for the worse.

IF any of you remember me, I had just started my first plants and was asking tons and tons of questions. My first plant I grew was a male, But right after was a female (Well...), and so were the next 3 after that.
Out of the 4 3 are hermies. One has been distroyed. Two are about at there prime, the last one is still budding.

Sad thing is I have a bunch of these seeds, and seedlings, but they will all most likely be hermies. :0p My Hubby doesn't mind the seedy smoke, he's just happy I had gotten this far (other than the fact that they were hermies, I was patting myself on the back, hehe).

BUT I Don't want to deal with all that. I want some good seeds to grow, something he will REALLY like. :0)
I want to get Feminized seeds, but I notice they are really spendy, BUT I can deff understand how it would be worth it.
One thing I notice is they range from $16.50-$300.00 ??? Are the cheeper ones even worth it?

ALSO what's Auto Flower? Could someone send me in the direction of information? I Assume that these are not grown as your regulars.

AND I saw mini' strands, for small indoor growing, has anyone used these? How do they grow? Do they grow well?

Okay thanks all and feel free to send me into the direction of any info (links). I would really appricate it.

:eek:

P.S. Please forgive my spelling, I have not updated the spell check yet, since I had to wipe my computer. And I am a really bad speller.
:holysheep:

mmm i would say if you do not want to deal with having to go through all kinds of stuff and you just want good smoke i would say go with a auto flowering strain. Auto flowering plants have no need for 12/12 really any darkness at all they grow in any light schedule. Now a days you can get a ton of auto flowering strains pretty much choice is yours, also auto flowering strains only take on average two months from seed to bud so if you have alot of room you could produce a ton of really good sensi for you and your hubby.

and any questions you have are more than welcome i know that explanation was kind of mixed up but i am high i am sorry. But if i can help ya in any way just let me know.:)

Jabrw0ke said:
Hello all,
It's been a while since I've been on here, I've been busy and my computer took a nice turn for the worse.

IF any of you remember me, I had just started my first plants and was asking tons and tons of questions. My first plant I grew was a male, But right after was a female (Well...), and so were the next 3 after that.
Out of the 4 3 are hermies. One has been distroyed. Two are about at there prime, the last one is still budding.

Sad thing is I have a bunch of these seeds, and seedlings, but they will all most likely be hermies. :0p My Hubby doesn't mind the seedy smoke, he's just happy I had gotten this far (other than the fact that they were hermies, I was patting myself on the back, hehe).

BUT I Don't want to deal with all that. I want some good seeds to grow, something he will REALLY like. :0)
I want to get Feminized seeds, but I notice they are really spendy, BUT I can deff understand how it would be worth it.
One thing I notice is they range from $16.50-$300.00 ??? Are the cheeper ones even worth it?

ALSO what's Auto Flower? Could someone send me in the direction of information? I Assume that these are not grown as your regulars.

AND I saw mini' strands, for small indoor growing, has anyone used these? How do they grow? Do they grow well?

Okay thanks all and feel free to send me into the direction of any info (links). I would really appricate it.

P.S. Please forgive my spelling, I have not updated the spell check yet, since I had to wipe my computer. And I am a really bad speller.

JAB'... "MY" recommendation is to simply purchase something 'reasonably' priced from attitude or Nirvana.
Don't waste your cash on "femm'd" OR "autos".
Buy a quality strain of "regular" seeds, find yourself a good Mother/donor, and learn to clone. You'll be set for a long time. No "buying" more seeds for every grow,(autos) no working with stock produced from hermies. (femminised)
By selecting and keeping a good "female" donor plant, you will be able to grow females EVERY time, for an indeterminable amount of time, without ever being forced to purchase again.

It isn't really that hard to take a male and a female away from the grow area and have the male pollinate her, lol you only have to make seeds once.

But pretty much jab you and your hubby can be looking at something like this in 2 months or you can be looking like this in 2 months :watchplant: choice is yours......to each their own :)

post-73-1205659719.jpg

high JAB, just read through this thread and thought both ppl make good points, but i think that you should consider how much room you have to work with. if you dont have alot of room to play with than autos would be the way to go. if you do have a decent amount of room(and a big pocket book) then cloning is what i would recomend. with autos you can have one small space to grow in, but with cloning you need a flowering room, a vegging room, and a small cloning cabinet, plus lights and ventilation for all three rooms. plus most autos work well for beginners. Hope this helps...4EVR420

also wouldn't recommend feminized seeds as they have a higher chance of turning hermie. allot of people have advised me not to go through this route if your still pretty new to growing.

I have heard that the auto AK give a good yield for an auto maybe you should look at that one.

As i beginner i have done allot of reading and i think that i am going to go auto all the way as there is no need for a dark period (less chance of light stress if something goes wrong i presume so less chance of hermie) and feminized seeds seem to be a little risky if you have already had most your last crop turn hermie.

well im still having trouble getting nutes because of were i live so am trying to make them my self with some help from zem. if that dont work i will have to suck it up and pay a big delivery charge and order from the uk. next month i should have everything to pop the seeds. Just need my lights and nutes and then the journal will begin.

Yes please stay away from the feminized seeds, they will end up just giving you more grief. They are genetically altered and if grown incorrectly most will hermie. If the plant that was used for seed making had any hermie traits at all it will show in every seed produced from that plant. Just go with the natural route and buy some regular seeds and eventually when you have a good defined mother plant just clone her.

If you are rather new to growing, the hermies are probably from the plants being stressed out. You need to get your grow dialed in before you start buying more seeds. If your plants are stressing, any new seeds are going to do the same thing. Once you start growing stress free plants, then any seeds should be just fine for you. Your best bet would be to grow an auto flowering plant if you don't want to take the time to get your growing methods corrected. You can go from seed to harvest in 60 to 90 days with most autos. Dieselryder from Supreme Beanz is a fantastic autoflower. I had a few different friends run these and were very happy with the results.

kal el said:
If you are rather new to growing, the hermies are probably from the plants being stressed out. You need to get your grow dialed in before you start buying more seeds. If your plants are stressing, any new seeds are going to do the same thing. Once you start growing stress free plants, then any seeds should be just fine for you. Your best bet would be to grow an auto flowering plant if you don't want to take the time to get your growing methods corrected. You can go from seed to harvest in 60 to 90 days with most autos. Dieselryder from Supreme Beanz is a fantastic autoflower. I had a few different friends run these and were very happy with the results.

Sorry man but I have to say that stress is not the only factor that makes plants hermie. A lot has to do with the genetics of the plant. It's the same if you took clones from a mother plant and that mother showed signs of being a hermie. Every clone taken from that plant will hermie and it will hermie at the exact time the mother plant did as it is an exact genetic match. This same process can happen when attempting to create feminized seed hence why a lot of people don't bother with them. I can get more pure females from a batch of regular seeds then I could a batch of fem.

Hick just stated y he doesn't use them and when hick tells me something I usually follow it cause the dude is 99.99% never wrong.

Jabrw0ke said:
Hello all,

Did you use bagseed?

I am a firm believer in buying good genetics. If you buy from a reputable seed bank, the cheaper seeds will be just fine.

What you choose to grow will depend somewhat on your space and lighting---so how many sq ft do you have and what are you using for lighting?

hugs4nuggs420 said:
Sorry man but I have to say that stress is not the only factor that makes plants hermie. A lot has to do with the genetics of the plant. It's the same if you took clones from a mother plant and that mother showed signs of being a hermie. Every clone taken from that plant will hermie and it will hermie at the exact time the mother plant did as it is an exact genetic match. This same process can happen when attempting to create feminized seed hence why a lot of people don't bother with them. I can get more pure females from a batch of regular seeds then I could a batch of fem.

Hick just stated y he doesn't use them and when hick tells me something I usually follow it cause the dude is 99.99% never wrong.

I have been growing for over 20 years and breeding for about 5. I know all about hermies and what causes them. I was just pointing out that a new grower getting hermies is most likely from stressing the plants. I never stated it was the only factor. As far as fem seeds, its all about the techniques used to make them, none of the fem seeds I made have hermied on me. There are many breeders of fem seeds that are quite clueless as to the proper way of making them it seems.

Gibberellic acid seems to have bearing on getting male flowers developing on female plants
which is a natural Hormone in plants...might be worth looking up on the net

I've also read irregular light regimens during flowering could but is highly unlikely

My personal thought on fems is when ever humans start tinkering with genetics especially

nonhuman subjects a lot of weird inbreeding, surrogation, and cloning occurs so I'm going

to agree with all those who buy normal seeds or (unfem).

Don't screw with nature, 'cause trust me she's got jokes!!!:D

I'd go with what Hick has suggested to you. You may do fine with autos, but you can't clone them. So this means you'll have to be buying seeds for every grow. Unless you want to try your hand at breeding...but I think you'd be takeing on a huge project that most newbies would have a very hard time at.

With a good regular strain or 2 you could find one or 2 that you like and clone it, and run it for yrs.

I don't recomend fem seeds for new growers for the same reason as was stated earlier...they are prone to being stressed into hermi-ing by rookie mistakes. Also we see alot of hermi's from fem seeds on here where the grower did nothing to stress them...the genetics were just not stable.

Click on the tude or Subcools banner up there and pick yourself a couple good strains that sound like what you want. Good Luck!

all i will say is if ya had hermies last time dont get femm seeds, im not implying they all go hermie but all i do know is i have only ever had 1 hermie
and it came from the only femm seed i ever bought.

You may do fine with autos, but you can't clone them. So this means you'll have to be buying seeds for every grow. Unless you want to try your hand at breeding...but I think you'd be takeing on a huge project that most newbies would have a very hard time at.
.. and with the lack of stability in the autos, along with "0" experience in selection or crossing, the results are questionable at best.
Someone said you need a "deep pocketbook and lots of room".. Poppycock...
I is absolutely more economical than buying seeds for every grow, or a single hermie ruining your entire crop.
It is also talk around the water cooler" that regular seeds produce a better, more potent quality product.

I stand by my recommendation. "Regular" seeds, choose any easy to grow strain and clone. You can continue growing the "same" high quality pot grow after grow after grow for pennies on the dollar, compared to purchasing seeds or fighting hermies.

The "I can't wait for real pot mentality" is running amuck in todays society.

damn i didn't think people still had that same mentality around here, i guess you can't teach a old dog new tricks? mmm oh well lol

Latest posts

Back