Seed Question... Auto Flower or Feminized or Mini ??? In need of suggestions.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
lowrydergrower775 said:
damn i didn't think people still had that same mentality around here, i guess you can't teach a old dog new tricks? mmm oh well lol
"mentallity"??.. by that, I'm assuming you mean wisdom..;)

Thanks for all the help everyone!
I went ahead and got some seeds from The attitude seed bank. Just a few to test out though, I got two kinds that are Auto, because I do have a very small area to grow in for now (two bedroom closets). BUT those are Femi seeds also. I figured I couldn't go wrong, hopefully that won't come back to bite me in the butt.
They also came with some free seeds, UFO white widdow. I'm not sure if these are Femi though.
I wish I had the room to do all the cloning, but I don't for now. I tryed to test clone some of the plants I have now, but had no success, I really need to read up on it some more, and that's a really good thing to know that I can't cone the Autos, because I Would have tried it.
I will deff' be keeping a grow journal with these (I didn't with my last, because it really was just a TEST, that turned out quite pleasurable for the hubby).

The seeds I started my last plants with came from a bag (and a friend). He told me after I had started them, that they were hermies. There is no doubt in my mind that ALL these seeds will produce hermies. Kinda a bummer, all these seeds and nothing to do with them (I have a whole bottle FULL).
Anyways, I will admit that at first my light timing was off by 30 minutes at times, untill I went and bought timers.
Now I have everything set up the way it should be, and I really like it (I even have some Tomato plants growing in my 18/6 now).

I just keep thinking though, how nice it will be to have a new strand, something diffrent to look at, and no searching for little flowers under the buds.
Even though the last batch turned out Hermies, I'm still pretty proud of them. I was in shock that I got so far. The one nice thing about having these plants was that I could mess with them (bend them, tie them down, top them off), without feeling like I'm out on anything (well other than getting seedy smoke for my hubby).

The seeds I bought are : Low Girl, White widow, blue widdow, and one Top 69 , which is an auto flower runderalis. I'm really excited about the white widow and blue widow.

I found this web site on one of the rating links on this forum. Were do you guys get regular old seeds from? That arn't an arm and a leg.... I would really like runderalis type seeds. Because of my small area, I have searched and search, but everything I find is feminized.

thanks again everyone.:cool:

^^ Oh I'm looking for a place with disgreet shipping also. The place that I just bought from sends a t-shirt, which I think is kind of clever.
Although I live in Alaska, and Marijuana is decrimalized, and it's "legal" to have up to 4 oz or 24? plants (more than I would have at one time), I just like to be safe anyways.

ER. I'm kinda mad at myself now, because I just did a search in there site for just REGULAR and showed up with purple power and white widow gen, sex:regular, mid size, 12 seeds for $25!!! DARN IT! It's called Purple Widow. That's what I get for jumping the gun. This will be next buy if I don't run across something better.... anyone try this? It's only got a raiting of three leaves (stars).

mmm nice to see you went with some auto's :) im sure you wont be dissapointed. Now just a waiting game for the beans to come in lol (i hate that part) lol, if you have any questions about auto's or 12/12 strains they are more than welcome i would love to help you in any way possible :)

Normally I might hve chimed in and told him how great autos are and to go that route...but after growing "regular" strains more lately along with autos I think autos wld be a bad choice...not because I feel they are bad but because Hick's idea makes much more sense...I like autos and I love growing them but I hve come to realize that they kind of rob you of some of the things you get to learn from growing out regular strains...I think new growers wld benefit a lot more growing regular strains and learning the things that come along with them...like cloning for one. Now I am not saying I don't think autos hve a place in a grow tent...I will probably always grow them on the side of my regular grows and do all auto grows in the future...I just think that it makes a lot more sense for newer growers to pick an easy regular strain and learn to properly grow it and clone it and become self sufficient...then if autos look like something you might want to gve a try go for it...

mmm like i said to each their own, but either way you cant go wrong you have some auto strains and seems you got a couple 12/12 strains also you are on your way :)

:eek: Darn it all!! I had a nice post and I lost it all trying to run spell check! *grrr*

MmmK... try to remember all that I just wrote. :rolleyes:

What I like about the first grow that I did, was that I was a real learning process for me on growing.
I learned so much, and am not really dissapointed with my outcome. Although they all turned out hermies, it's not all that bad, because I learned SO much, like how I need to keep the lights on the plants, and what kind of food works for them, and just how the area works for the plants.
In fact I feel quite successful just getting some buds, I was pretty weary after reading about all the lighting and stuff that people were doing on here. I didn't think my fluro's would cut it, but they actually did great. Though I'd love to see what I could do with other lighting! BUT I can't really take any other rout than the fluro's because of my living area and the costs of it all.
I look forward to the day that I have a large house in the mountans and can do as I please with the electric and area. haha *(I wish)*

I agree with you though, that starting from scratch IS pefect for a new grower because of the learning aspects of it all. I do feel though, that these autos will make it a bit easyer on me, specally with me having to work this summer, and having less time tending to them, and taking all the guess work out of everything. I'll also have a good test here on what I like, seeing as how I not only got auto seeds I got some regular Feminized also, and Maybe some basic regular sex (not sure if the ones they are sending me for "free" are fem or not).

Just like Lowryder said, it's just a waiting game for me now! :)

Hamster Lewis said:
Normally I might hve chimed in and told him how great autos are and to go that route...but after growing "regular" strains more lately along with autos I think autos wld be a bad choice...not because I feel they are bad but because Hick's idea makes much more sense...I like autos and I love growing them but I hve come to realize that they kind of rob you of some of the things you get to learn from growing out regular strains...I think new growers wld benefit a lot more growing regular strains and learning the things that come along with them...like cloning for one. Now I am not saying I don't think autos hve a place in a grow tent...I will probably always grow them on the side of my regular grows and do all auto grows in the future...I just think that it makes a lot more sense for newer growers to pick an easy regular strain and learn to properly grow it and clone it and become self sufficient...then if autos look like something you might want to gve a try go for it...

Thanks! I'm really looking forward to getting them, I wonder how long I actually have to wait. They are coming from the UK.... Last time I ordered something from over seas it took around 14 days to get to me.
I showed my hubby one of the pictures of a plant of one of the seeds I got, and he tells me "I've been thinking about that ALL DAY!" haha

I will deff' be coming back here with all my questions. I'm really going to try my best at keeping a grow log. I need to check everyones out so that I can get an idea of how they do them.

lowrydergrower775 said:
mmm nice to see you went with some auto's :) im sure you wont be dissapointed. Now just a waiting game for the beans to come in lol (i hate that part) lol, if you have any questions about auto's or 12/12 strains they are more than welcome i would love to help you in any way possible :)

i read through your old posts Jabrw0ke and realized you did have allot of problems with you lights in your last grow. IMO i think autos would be great for you so that you can get your area in top condition. thing i liked about autos is i dont need a sealed off area i can keep it open eliminating the problem with darkness and venting

what floros you got now?
how many plants you thinking of growing at the same time? and what square foot is your space to grow?

P.s Im rubbish at spelling and have deleted a couple posts trying to use spell check. its better if you post it 1st then go back and edit and spell check hehe.

I'm really not proud of what I got when it comes to my area, because there's really not much that I can do with it.
I have two bedroom closets. The basic kind with the two fold doors. My bedroom is lucky enough to have two of those in it. One is for 18/6 and the other is for 12/12.
What I don't like about it is lite escapes. I need something that I can put over the cracks(between the doors and walls), but still be able to gain easy access.
The lights I use are just the basic plant grow fluros that come from the hardware stores. There the large ones that fit into the garage type fixtures, there's two lights in one fixture. One fixture in each closet.
I have them set up to where I can move them up and down with the plants.
I know it's not the best lighting, but It's really all I can do for now, because I can't rewire things, or have a junk load of electricity show up on my bill. Although I'm in Alaska, I still would like to be as discreet as I possibly can, and I had friends suposibaly get caught (with there much larger crops), due to there electricity bill (that's what they told me at least).
I'm only looking to do two or three plants at a time.
My 12/12 had 4 plants in there at one time, but there just wasn't enough room. I'd rather keep it at 2-3. If I can keep it at a continuous thing than it's no biggie to have a small amount.

OH thanks for the spelling check tip. :D

Jericho said:
i read through your old posts Jabrw0ke and realized you did have allot of problems with you lights in your last grow. IMO i think autos would be great for you so that you can get your area in top condition. thing i liked about autos is i dont need a sealed off area i can keep it open eliminating the problem with darkness and venting

what floros you got now?
how many plants you thinking of growing at the same time? and what square foot is your space to grow?

P.s Im rubbish at spelling and have deleted a couple posts trying to use spell check. its better if you post it 1st then go back and edit and spell check hehe.

Well if you are planing autos light escaping is not going to be a big deal as they dont need the dark period.
you could have 2 plants in each closet giving them plenty of space. have you thought about maybe getting some extra lighting? some cfls that you can include in the closet for a little booster during flowering. sure it would help with the yield a little.

You just need to make amendments to your daily electric needs so it doesn't look to obvious in your bill, like using a gas kettle instead of electric would help allot if your a coffee or tea drinker. watch a couple hours less TV, dont use electric heating or ac as much. there are ways around the bill, just need to make sacrifices for your babies. just something to think about if your looking to upgrade the lighting a little.

I did look into CFL a while back, but I thought that using one required rewiring of my outlet. (I'm in a townhouse so I can't go rewiring things).
You do make a good point on the electric, because I do use a lot anyways... cutting down wouldn't be a problem.
I was really intrested in cfls till I realized how much they cost and the wire issue (maybe it was the power?).
I have considered adding more light to my 18/6 closet, but I'm gonna have to get a bigger timer and another power strip.

When I read about the CFLS a while back I Really wanted to try them out, but it seemed a little beyond what I could do at this time. Maybe if there were a small one, that I could post up in the closet.

I noticed at the plant store they have lamps with these grow bulbs in them, they are spiral. I wonder what those are, because they seem to work really good for all there plants......

You know what I just rememberd (I'm really tired, forgive my rambeling)!
the plant store had a little box for bout $100. It was black on the outside with a front zipper, and when you looked inside it was all shiney and it had a light at the top of it that looked like a cfl bulb, but it was a black light.
the plant was down in the bottom sitting in a mini hydro set up (well it was a tomato plant, but you knew that's not what they were advertising it for).

I thought I might get me one, but for just one plant seems a bit much. Do you know what I'm talking about? Do you know what kind of light is in there..... maybe I can find a link to what it was and get some more info.

Jericho said:
Well if you are planing autos light escaping is not going to be a big deal as they dont need the dark period.
you could have 2 plants in each closet giving them plenty of space. have you thought about maybe getting some extra lighting? some cfls that you can include in the closet for a little booster during flowering. sure it would help with the yield a little.

You just need to make amendments to your daily electric needs so it doesn't look to obvious in your bill, like using a gas kettle instead of electric would help allot if your a coffee or tea drinker. watch a couple hours less TV, dont use electric heating or ac as much. there are ways around the bill, just need to make sacrifices for your babies. just something to think about if your looking to upgrade the lighting a little.

AND those were CFL Lights... what the heck was I looking At before????
Man I love when I answer my own questions......

Hehe yeah it was a tent you was looking at. there are allot of people that use them and recommend them.

Cfls are easy to wire, I'm sure someone will be able to give you an explanation. There are some users of cfl growing as well here I'm sure they will chip in on the info for you. if you search cfl then you will find a grow journal using them.

Do you have the inside of your closets lined with anything? what color are they? they should be flat white to get th most out of your lights.

Couple links with cfl grows.

http://www.marijuanapassion.com/forum/showthread.php?t=46555
http://www.marijuanapassion.com/forum/showthread.php?t=45111

jab have you ever given any thought to becoming a member of the 150 watt club?

Rather than RE-wiring things can I just use one of these?
hXXp://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-MEDIUM-TO-MOGUL-SOCKET-ADAPTER-HYDROPONIC-GROW-CFL_W0QQitemZ230441675144QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item35a764e988

Than I could buy a basic standing lamp or one of the ones that bends and put it in there without having to drill holes and mess with wires.

Oh and my closet walls are slightly textured, but hardly, but all white. BUT my closet doors are wood.....

I just had a little light bulb pop above my head. I could remove the closet doors. It's Really Easy, and that way they wouldn't get any water damage anyways, and get some of those curtans that do not allow light to go through them (we have one on our bedroom window so the sun light doesn't come in and mess things up).

Jericho said:
Hehe yeah it was a tent you was looking at. there are allot of people that use them and recommend them.

Cfls are easy to wire, I'm sure someone will be able to give you an explanation. There are some users of cfl growing as well here I'm sure they will chip in on the info for you. if you search cfl then you will find a grow journal using them.

Do you have the inside of your closets lined with anything? what color are they? they should be flat white to get th most out of your lights.

Couple links with cfl grows.

http://www.marijuanapassion.com/forum/showthread.php?t=46555
http://www.marijuanapassion.com/forum/showthread.php?t=45111

I havn't. I have not been a regualr poster the last few months, and havn't seen this. Is it on this Forum?

I will usually brows around this forum some, but always find myself coming back to indoor growing and newbie areas. :)

lowrydergrower775 said:
jab have you ever given any thought to becoming a member of the 150 watt club?

Latest posts

Back