Sex Determination

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GrowNoob

Reaction score
Hi all, cool site. My friend and I just decided to start growing 4 marijuana plants. Since the whole idea of this was to save money, we didn't buy feminized seeds online, but just took some out of the bag of beasters we were blazing. My question is, what are the chances that they are all males? How soon will the node comparison (seed like sac vs. wat looks like a vagina) be effective? Also, what happens if you let a male pollinate a female. Will you just have seeds in your bud? If that's the case it wouldn't be the end of the world

well, make sure you have the right stuff. i just made a thread showing my bagseed results. i had 3 and 1 was female. i highly suggest watching the vids on the main page here. just marijuanapassion.com buy some cfls from walmart if you dont have the cash to spend on the hid or mh lights. add up the lumens make sure you have about 5000 per square foot. the energy saver lights that are twisty are cfls. get the eq to 150watt ones. they are about 10 bucks each. get 4 or more and keep them about an inch from the tops. do research out the *** for atleast a week before you start the grow.

oh and welcome to the forum. stay here and keep putting updates on your babies and follow the instructions people give you and you will end up with some good bud. also, i did my grow with a friend. thats why i had 3 bc he had one. its not a good idea. either you or him will take care of it the whole time and whoever is caring for it will get mad for doing all the work to give the other friend free bud practically. i ripped my friends out, because thats how it was going down. dont do it. unless you work out a solid agreement, but either way the friend growing would go down if busted and the other would walk free. not cool at all. think about everything including risks, make sure you have the right soil, the right pots, the right lights, the right setup, and everything or you will turn out with what i have.

good luck to you.

and pregnant females will have loads of seeds. you know the bud youve probably bought before that the littlest peice still has like 4 hidden seeds. thats what you will probably get. you dont need to worry about it til switching to 12/12, then keep look out for pollen sacks. also theres a good chance at getting a hermie when using bag seed or putting lots of stress on the plant. making be male and female at the same time. causing practically the same exact thing to happen. lots of seeds. your right though, not the end of the world. just lots of work to smoke a joint haha.

get organic soil and some water soluble nutes that are 20-20-20. watch the vids on the main page and youll be good to go. just keep an update on how they are doing and put your problems with them on here, and the wise people on this forum will help you make them better. :)

First of all, welcome. There's a wealth of information on this site if you take the time to research. Secondly, that is exactly what you should do. Read the threads and grow journals, watch the videos. You will learn tons and save yourself so much trouble.
Generally, male to female ratio is 50 50. But this completely dependet on thier enviroment and conditions, so you want to try to optimize your grow area.
You will always start to see sex within a week or two of starting flower (12/12 light schedule). They will preflower at some point and show sex also if left in veg.
If you allow a male to polinate it takes nutrients and resources away from bud growth reducing weight and quality.
Happy growing and good luck.

oh and i read on here that putting banana peels in your soil can increase the chance of females. not sure if its true or not, but apparently it gives it some nutrients too. so its worth the try i guess.

yeah, my ideas come at separate times hahaha, i try to help, but end up posting tooooo much.

nah your good man, just hit the edit button and add

Edit: Xxx xxxxxxx xxx xxxxxxxx xxxx xxxx xxxxxx.

if you put the little edit tag most of us see the new info even if it doesn't say there is a new post cause of it.

very true. males have the least thc followed by hermies. killem all.
Well keep the males if you breed.

cut em down and boil em in alcahol, that is all they are good for.

no need to "boil" them.. simply soaking in iso will extract the "essential oils"...

schoolboy420 said:
oh and i read on here that putting banana peels in your soil can increase the chance of females. not sure if its true or not, but apparently it gives it some nutrients too. so its worth the try i guess.

Sounds very good... **** it... im eating bananas... but 1 thing I dont like about that it's if you live in a mountainous environment It WILL attract more pest that the ones you are already controlling so... whatch out... and im eating bananas.

Sorry for swearing... I get excited :headbang2:

While banana peels are rotting they release ethylene gas, which has been theorized to help influence a plant to become female. I've read about it many times yet I have never seen definitive proof that it works, it's always someone saying they did it before and it worked, but they have no proof. You would be much better off eating the banana and throwing the peel in a compost pile where it could do something useful.

LoL. To me it doesn't so much sound like they are after the gas, but maybe because they have lots of potassium;) :rolleyes: ;) :ignore:

My trade is cooking in fine/casual restaurants. in this line of work I’ve handles tens of thousands of organic/fert-fed/hydro/aero/clone/other fruits, veg, grains, spices, etc. Now I can’t speak to Mojo from experience. But I can comfortably say any product which comes in contact with any amount of EG other than the amount it is naturally supposed to be exposed to by its own flesh and the flesh of other fruit bodies on the same plant, is inferior.

They lack developed complex carb structures and protein chains. This makes them have inferior substance to the flesh of the fruit body. The cells are much more tightly packed and tend to lack many cell types and areas of the inner fruit.

The color is always airy. It’s there, but looks like maybe every other cell holds pigment. the colors lack a genuine vivid nature. The skin is normally a lil more translucent than normal. It also is tighter and less supple in the gassed fruits.

I ASSUME this would also translate over to effects on flower growth, unless they use it in a different metabolic function.

Can anyone input?

LOL i have no facts to support my claim but that sounds like something someone high came up with really high! LOL if that worked wouldnt everyone do it? Hey if it works let me know i got bananas LOL!

i bet someone took a toke, thought about people putting fish under their plants, then decided a banana would help too. rofl

lol funnt stuff. and i have no idea what the explaination meant, too many big words for my small brain.

First and foremost vegetables/fruits forced to flower with ethylene do suck! I agree with you 100% on the Lotek, but the practice of feminizing with ethylene is done pre-germination through the first week of germination. Marijuana flowers at any time in it's life given the correct light cycle(which we all know 12/12)so ethylene is not necessary to induce early flowering.IF ethylene does promote feminizaton, a banana peel does not give off enough to be a factor.

Here is some interesting information on ethylene and plants.

Ethylene, unlike the rest of the plant hormone compounds is a gaseous hormone. Like abscisic acid, it is the only member of its class. Of all the known plant growth substance, ethylene has the simplest structure. It is produced in all higher plants and is usually associated with fruit ripening and the tripple response (Arteca, 1996; Mauseth, 1991; Raven, 1992; Salisbury and Ross, 1992)

Ethylene has been used in practice since the ancient Egyptians, who would gas figs in order to stimulate ripening. The ancient Chinese would burn incense in closed rooms to enhance the ripening of pears. It was in 1864, that leaks of gas from street lights showed stunting of growth, twisting of plants, and abnormal thickening of stems (the triple response)(Arteca, 1996; Salisbury and Ross, 1992). In 1901, a russian scientist named Dimitry Neljubow showed that the active component was ethylene (Neljubow, 1901). Doubt discovered that ethylene stimulated abscission in 1917 (Doubt, 1917). It wasn't until 1934 that Gane reported that plants synthesize ethylene (Gane, 1934). In 1935, Crocker proposed that ethylene was the plant hormone responsible for fruit ripening as well as inhibition of vegetative tissues (Crocker, 1935). Ethylene is now known to have many other functions as well.

Ethylene is produced in all higher plants and is produced from methionine in essentially all tissues. Production of ethylene varies with the type of tissue, the plant species, and also the stage of development. The mechanism by which ethylene is produced from methionine is a 3 step process (McKeon et al., 1995; Salisbury and Ross, 1992).
ATP is an essential component in the synthesis of ethylene from methionine. ATP and water are added to methionine resulting in loss of the three phosphates and S-adenosyl methionine.
1-amino-cyclopropane-1-carboxylic acid synthase (ACC-synthase) facilitates the production of ACC from SAM.
Oxygen is then needed in order to oxidize ACC and produce ethylene. This reaction is catalyzed by an oxidative enzyme called ethylene forming enzyme.
The control of ethylene production has received considerable study. Study of ethylene has focused around the synthesis promoting effects of auxin, wounding, and drought as well as aspects of fruit-ripening. ACC synthase is the rate limiting step for ethylene production and it is this enzyme that is manipulated in biotechnology to delay fruit ripening in the "flavor saver" tomatoes (Klee and Lanahan, 1995).

source: hxxp://www.plant-hormones.info/ethylene.htm

So like i said earlier, eat the banana and throw the peel on a compost pile, it will be much more useful there.

Cool info man. i didn't know seeds were fem'ed with EG, I always figured that G. acid was used to herm the mums.

Latest posts

Back