Should I start feeding my plants?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

7thG

Victimless Criminal
Reaction score
I have 2 plants going, Northern Lights. There is a link in my sig if you want to see them. They are 15 days old today. No yellowing but there are brown spots on one plants bottom leaf. I started feeding them with Big Bloom 5tbspns per/gallon. Its seems to be helping they have perked up and seem to be speeding up. But, that could be due to root development or the fact I lowered the lights. New growth looks great I was wondering if I should step it up to Grow Big. Big Bloom is a very light nute for those who don't know. Also, I am using Whitney Farms potting soil which is pretty cheap I think. I plan on keep them in solo cups until im ready to train.

I start with a weak solution at week 2 and work my way up from there...I like to start feeding befor the codies(sp) turn which is usually by week 4..Hope this helps

:48:

I took a look at them and don't think they need nutrients yet. I usually start feeding about 50% at week 3 or so, unless the plant starts looking hungry. jmo

i would give them ferts but with a careful dosage, once they start using nitrogen well, they speed up

They look to be taking off now but they are still at a very delicate point in the root growth. Here is where some make the mistake of overnuting them and burning the new roots. I wouldn't feed them with anything just yet as you have already given them some stuff. I personally like to wait until I see the cotyledons begin to yellow before feeding as that allows the roots plenty of time to grow and strengthen before being hit with new chemicals.

I would say to wait one more week then start with a mild solution. If the plant strain is new to me, I will start with 25% strength, but if I know the strain well and have run it a couple times then I may go stronger starting out. With many strains, you can ramp up the nutes fairly quick as the plants respond to them. To me it is worth the extra time of vegging to go a little slower with beginning nutes than to have to back up and wait for the plants to recover from nute burn. :)

u can start feeding them since they pop up by small dosages

I agree that you need to be very careful with the nutes at this stage. They are still very young with a small root system that can be damaged very easily by overnuting.

Tell us more about your soil. Virtually all purchased potting soil needs amendments added to be a good growing medium.

I have only fed them twice they seem to be handling it well though. I feed every other watering. My plants are stressed because my temps jumped to 90 today. I blame the inconsistent weather in the northeast. The egdes are a little curled. I was really counting on getting my first unemployment check by now as soon as I do Ima get my babies sorted out. As for the soil, I am using Whitney Farms Organic Potting Soil. It's all they had at my local shop. I do have a Hydro shop about 30 minutes away though. I have been putting off the repotting because I want to get some lime to mix in. Oh yeah my soil is mixed with MG nutrient enriched perlite. I have a grow journal if you wanna check it out sometime THG would really love to have your experienced eyes on my babies :)

If you want to keep them in organic medium, there is a nice organic fertilizer that you can get at any of the home improvement stores (home depot, Lowes) called Espoma's Garden Tone or Plant Tone. It is totally organic and has loads of beneficial microbes to help break down the available organics in your soil, plus it has lots of nutrients and minerals already in it that were made available by the organic process. You can get a bag of that for about $25 and it should last you through this first grow easily. Its real good stuff :)

Don't use anything that is "nutrient enriched". You want to add your own nutes. The things that MG puts into their pre-nuted products are not in the proportions that marijuana likes. I was not really saying that the Whitney potting soil was not a good soil, just that it is going to need to be amended. I use an inexpensive organic potting soil that I get a Home Depot as a base, but add a lot of stuff to it. Lime is especially important in any soil mixture. The addition of perlite is good, but not "nutrient enriched" perlite (which is probably just perlite with MG time release nutrients added). I also like the Bio-Tone from Espoma.

If they are handling it well, then you can continue to feed them small amounts a couple of times a week or so (what do the feeding instructions say?).

Every other watering or once a week. Im using a general feeding 2 tablespoons Grow Big. About 4 tablespoons Big Bloom.

Latest posts

Back