Soft water, good or bad?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

craterlake

Reaction score
Hi folks!
I have been watering my plants with hard water. I have conditioned water in my house with a pottasium system and a water softener that of course takes salt. Could I use this water or is it best to continue with the hard water. I wasn't sure so I have been using the hard water and am getting great results. I was just wondering 'cause it would save me time to use the house water.
Thanks!! Hey also, being that I am new to this site, I'm not sure that I am using it correctly. I posted a question the other day and wanted to thank the person that responded for helping me, so I hit the button that said reply. But what happened was that I now had two replies, but one of them was my reply to the other person. How do I respond to an individual post?
Thanks!

I have conditioned water in my house with a pottasium system and a water softener that of course takes salt. Could I use this water

I would recommend that you do not use this water.

What do you mean by hard water? What is the pH?

The softened water will trash your plants. Plant do not like salt. Stick with whats working or get an RO and run your hard water through that.

craterlake said:
Hi folks!
I have been watering my plants with hard water. I have conditioned water in my house with a pottasium system and a water softener that of course takes salt. Could I use this water or is it best to continue with the hard water. I wasn't sure so I have been using the hard water and am getting great results. I was just wondering 'cause it would save me time to use the house water.
Thanks!! Hey also, being that I am new to this site, I'm not sure that I am using it correctly. I posted a question the other day and wanted to thank the person that responded for helping me, so I hit the button that said reply. But what happened was that I now had two replies, but one of them was my reply to the other person. How do I respond to an individual post?
Thanks!

I would not use softened water. Most places with soft water have unsoftened water at the kitchen cold tap and the outside hosebibs.

To reply to an individual post, click "Quote" under that post and a reply box will pop up with the original post quoted.

pcduck said:

The ph of water is a measure of its acidity/alcalinity and has nothing to do with its hard or softness.
Hardness is a measure of how much dissolved solids there are in it. If water is said to be "soft", it has very few disolved solids.
Having said that, What is the ph and ec/ppm of your water CL?

pcduck said:

Not sure the PH but a lot of iron content.

The Hemp Goddess said:
I would not use softened water. Most places with soft water have unsoftened water at the kitchen cold tap and the outside hosebibs.

To reply to an individual post, click "Quote" under that post and a reply box will pop up with the original post quoted.

My hard water source is just in my basement. It's going up and down the stairs that I thought I could avoid so much of if I could use my tap water. But I will continue as I also need the exercise!! LOL!! Thanks!

woodydude said:
The ph of water is a measure of its acidity/alcalinity and has nothing to do with its hard or softness.
Hardness is a measure of how much dissolved solids there are in it. If water is said to be "soft", it has very few disolved solids.

Not sure, just a lot of iron content so I get a lot of rust stains if I don't condition it.

woodydude said:

Nobody said it did, but :aok:

Latest posts

Back