Soil? need help

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was growing in a Peat Moss, Perlite and Vermiculite mix (in small peat moss containers) but it was drying up really, really fast.
Add worm castings next time.

if you have the $$$ try to find some foxfarm oceanforest. They dont sell it at walmart, but find your local hardware store, they normally have garden things such as soil.

use the foxfarm line, its organic (besides- tiger blume) Im pretty much proof that this stuff is da bomb. I have never grown anything in my life, check my journal, if you wanna see some dank buds, that are my first plants.

bombbudpuffa said:
Add worm castings next time.

Is there a guide somewhere that gives guidelines on using worm castings? I've been thinking of buying them for some time now -- I think when my plants outgrow my 4" pots I will mix them with the new soil.

Thanks!

wallmart has magic worm bedding on sale 3lbs for .75cents stuff works good in soil use like 1/2 cup to 1 gallon soil

so can anyone give me a name for a great soil at wal-mart. i think im gonna mix in some of that worm bedding and some perilite, once i figure out which soil to get.

can anyone give me a name for a great soil at wal-mart.
The best you're going to get at Walmart is Miracle Grow Organic. They also carry worm castings. You have to add lime to the MG Organic though. You can try a local nursery or lowes or home depot for lime.
Is there a guide somewhere that gives guidelines on using worm castings?
You can use as much castings as you'd like. It loosens the soil, provides constant nutrition and won't burn your babies. I've used MG Organic and worm castings at 50/50 before with good results.

i saw the MG organic there didnt say anything about time release nutes so i think i might go with that, i just really dont wanna have to mess with the PH a lot. i have been useing distilled water to avoid it. how and at what amount should i add lime?

how and at what amount should i add lime?
I use a tablespoon a gallon. There are different types, I have dolomitic(I think). You mix it with your soil.
i just really dont wanna have to mess with the PH a lot.
I feel you:D. Sometimes things can go really, really bad if you don't monitor the ph. Trust me, in the long run you'll need some sort of ph meter/ph up/ph down.

yes i hear that the organic version of the MG is ok, theres a girl on another site that swears by it. i just tell greenhorns to stay away from all MG products as they might get the wrong stuff. this helps them in the end as they might think theres no slow release nutes in the soil but as they water they see more n more pellets and wonder what they are.

good luck with that soil if u get it and let us know how it preforms.

ahhhhhh. i cant choose. i dont know if i should go with the MG organic and pray the Lime fixes the PH changeing or if i should drive the hour to the nearest place with a lowes or home depot

bro, imma be honest. you only get out what you put in. go the extra mile and do it right....go ahead and get more soil than u need so u can make a bucket compost tea there really easy, get lime green results and are hard to harm plants unless your using str8 bird,bat **** or other HOT ferts. mushroom compost i SWEAR by and will give u RESULTS! if you go with the MG just get a good bottle nute thats balanced. if u do end up going to lowes or home depot....get some fish emoulsion and bone meal, cal mag (pref. if they have it) and perlite and vermeculite. get the big bag of perlite or verm. smaller ones can get expensive! its better to have more than not enuff.

get powdered or pulverised dolomite lime too not the pellets ;)

if you need a soil recipe id be glad to help with what you got to work with...

goodluck with whatever u decide to do.

kasgrow said:
Peat moss might give you ph problems. If you want to use soil you can mix two parts super soil with one part perlite. Super soil was the stuff to use 20 years ago. It is high in nitrogen. I grew with it for many years with no problem. When I grow in soil I usually start out my seeds in a seed starting soil in little cups and then transplant after about a week. Miracle grow makes a seed starting mixe that works well for me. I just bought the super soil and perlite at orchard supply. I have also gotten it at home depot. If you have a hydro store nearby get some fox farm ocean forest for the best results I have seen in soil. Get a cheap little moisture sensor when you get your soil, I think they are about 6 bucks or so at home depot and will help a lot. After 28 years of growing I still use one to take the guess work out of watering. I hope this helps.

care to to reccomend any moisture sensors?

I just bought one of these, looking forward in using it!
http://www.moisturegreen.com/index-sensor.htm

ok i think im gettin there couple more questions. If i add that magic worm bedding will i still be able to add nutes(probibly fox farm) once i start to flower? also is there going to be a problem if i add lime along with the bedding and all that? also which fox farm nute do you recommend, I was thinkin just big bloom because its all organic but im not sure. sorry bout all the questions but yall have already help me out so much. thanks

Latest posts

Back