Soil? need help

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

masterblaster26

Reaction score
So i have been reading around and was under the impression i wanted to go with a soiless mix. I grabbed some at wal-mart and it contains 82% peat moss 17% perlite and 1% lime. I planted a few days ago and 2/3 are already out and about 1 in. I was recently reading and heard that some people have had problems with peat moss and it wasnt a good grow medium. anyone know? also if im going about it wrong can anyone point me in the direction of a good soil to use (preferably one you can get at wal-mart). this is my first attempt so im really unsure of a lot of things.

eh youre not going about it wrong i think you have everything right but if you want just some regular potting soil from walmart that is good to grow in search around for expert gardener potting soil

im not concerned about price any type that anyone can say straigh up kicks ***

Peat moss might give you ph problems. If you want to use soil you can mix two parts super soil with one part perlite. Super soil was the stuff to use 20 years ago. It is high in nitrogen. I grew with it for many years with no problem. When I grow in soil I usually start out my seeds in a seed starting soil in little cups and then transplant after about a week. Miracle grow makes a seed starting mixe that works well for me. I just bought the super soil and perlite at orchard supply. I have also gotten it at home depot. If you have a hydro store nearby get some fox farm ocean forest for the best results I have seen in soil. Get a cheap little moisture sensor when you get your soil, I think they are about 6 bucks or so at home depot and will help a lot. After 28 years of growing I still use one to take the guess work out of watering. I hope this helps.

I haven't been to wal mart in years. I have gotten it there before though. You could also get the organic miracle soil. Just stay away from the time release fert soils if possible.

peat ***** N as it breaks down causing PH fluctuations... if u can add more perlite or just use a 50-50 vermeculite perlite mix then youd be better off.

goodluck!

but this has limestone as a stabalizer. n i only plan on haveing it in there a week before transplanting. thats why im lookin for somethin better

I love peat moss. Thats all I use with no problems whatsoever. The lime will help keep your ph adjusted. Just add some organic nutes like bone and or blood meal etc, and your plants will be happy campers. I use Promix or Sunhinemix #4. Goodluck!

for clones its fine thats what starter plugs are, but longterm in mostly peat i wouldnt do it as it retains alot of water which can lead to rootrot and and s ucks N as it decomposes. as long as the water drians well then your fine.

trillions of atoms said:
for clones its fine thats what starter plugs are, but longterm in mostly peat i wouldnt do it as it retains alot of water which can lead to rootrot and and s ucks N as it decomposes. as long as the water drians well then your fine.

Yeah ....I think I agree....to most brings bugs....BAD BUGS..:hitchair:

and still agree some is used...

so which soil from wal-mart would you suggest for when i transplant in a couple days?

any professional mix thats not mircle grow and make sure it has NO TIME RELEASE FERTS. go to home depot or lowes and get some mushroom compost, perlite ,vermeculite ,soiless mix and if u cant find that then use blak gold cow manure and mix it up 25% of each.

I have never had a problem with root rot or bugs with peat. The lime in the peat with keep the ph from fluctuating. My peat does stay a bit moist at times, but I like it like that because if you have to leave them unattended for a period of time, u will not have to worry about them drying out. CH

I use Promix or Sunhinemix #4.
Either one of these soils will work great. Promix HP(high porosity) is my fav soil and it's peat based, very light and fluffy. If you have peat based soil you just need a lil lime in it because peat is acidic. With lime you will be fine using a peat based soil.

From what I've learned it depends on your temperature and humidity as well. If you are growing in an environment that is somewhat dry and hot, and you can't control those factors to get them to the ideal then you are going to have to make sure you use a soil that will retain water better.

I was growing in a Peat Moss, Perlite and Vermiculite mix (in small peat moss containers) but it was drying up really, really fast... So I switched to small 4" green plastic containers and a soil mix that also has Humus and Compost and the plants literally doubled in size in a couple days. Sooo...

I think the lesson here is that peat probably works, but you need to make sure your environment is right. I could be talkin out my a55 though, because I'm a growing n00b... but that's my experience thus far!

Latest posts

Back