soil question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'm trying to shop locally as much as possible just like to handle something before I buy it. So question is:

what do you pros think about dr. Earth pot of gold potting soil or Dr. Earth mother land all purpose planting mix?

Ocean forest is hotter than happy frog. When I first transplanted into happy frog my seedlings was about 2 or 3 weeks old. Soil was almost too hot for them at first. After transplanting into 2 gal pots I went ocean forest. They absolutely love this ocean forest now.

Ocean forest is hotter than happy frog. When I first transplanted into happy frog my seedlings was about 2 or 3 weeks old. Soil was almost too hot for them at first. After transplanting into 2 gal pots I went ocean forest. They absolutely love this ocean forest now.

wait first you said ocean first wad hot than the next sentence you said the happy frog is to hot. Which one is it lol

The ocean forest is hotter than happy frog. But when I first planted seedlings into soil I used happy frog. Which as almost too much for them at first. What I mean is you would want to use happy frog first. And when you repot to your pot size you will flower into, use ocean forest.
If you go ocean forest first, yiu will almost certainly burn the little plants.

Ocean forest is a great soil. I don't think you can beat it. I use that and like yarddog I also use Happy Frog.

I do like the mother earth amendments but have not used their soils.

+1 for fox farms...I used to use ocean forest and have been using happy frog my past few grows...no complaints at all I love them both

I am mostly a hydro grower, but also use something locally available that I like when growing soil. I have not used FF, but we know from all the great growers here who use it that it works well for cannabis. Please try to stay away from anything from Miracle Grow and Scott's. That includes General Hydroponics products.

You will probably want to start your seeds in a seed starter mix. A hot mix can kill the seed before it has a chance to break the soil.

Have you decided on what seeds to get yet?

I was leaning heavily towards chemdawg because I was under the impression that it was indica dominant, and I was recently told it is actually sativa dominant.��

I just started a godfather bean from a trusted friend got the fox farm happy frog and am painting my veg space this weekend gonna use the cfl's and florescent I have for a short time.

I am mostly a hydro grower, but also use something locally available that I like when growing soil. I have not used FF, but we know from all the great growers here who use it that it works well for cannabis. Please try to stay away from anything from Miracle Grow and Scott's. That includes General Hydroponics products.

You will probably want to start your seeds in a seed starter mix. A hot mix can kill the seed before it has a chance to break the soil.

Have you decided on what seeds to get yet?

was gonna flush a bit of the soil that me new bean will god willing be going into.

was gonna flush a bit of the soil that me new bean will god willing be going into.
Soil is very important even in the first few days. I used a generic top soil with no nutes. (Allegedly). Within 10 days I almost lost all 15 seedlings. If I had gown another two or three days without transplanting into a good seed starting soil I would have certainly lost most, if not all. Seed starter soil is like 8 bucks. And I will be using the same bag for multiple grows. Just giving my experience.
A wise man(or chick lol) learns from the mistakes of others.

Soil is very important even in the first few days. I used a generic top soil with no nutes. (Allegedly). Within 10 days I almost lost all 15 seedlings. If I had gown another two or three days without transplanting into a good seed starting soil I would have certainly lost most, if not all. Seed starter soil is like 8 bucks. And I will be using the same bag for multiple grows. Just giving my experience.
A wise man(or chick lol) learns from the mistakes of others.

I was thinking about using coco coir just to start them

????I don't understand what you mean? You cannot flush "nutes" out of organic soils. Do not use any soil with any nutes in it for starting seeds. I find coco hard to work with--it just seems to hold too much water. But there are others here who love it. I use a seed starter mix or start my seeds in rapid rooters.

What are the genetics of the godfather seed you got? Did it come from a breeder or is it a seed your friend made? Please make sure it was not a bagseed.

Yarddog--topsoil is never good to use for....well much of anything IMO. It is just as the name implies--soil from the top of the ground and it can be anything. I would always suggest using a seed starting mix or something like rapid rooters or rockwool.

That is a flowering nutrient. You need something different for vegging. I know that some like Jack's. I personally prefer to use nutrients formulated for cannabis if I am not growing organic.

Latest posts

Back