Soil that retains water?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flight175

Reaction score
Hi, I just put some seeds outside to germ in some 1/3 poting mix, 1/3 peat, 1/3 perlite. I like this mix very well it seems to be very good for roots and i have seen others get results w/ it. only problem is is that outside now during the day it gets up to atleast mid 70's and the humidity is very low, low 20%. Basicly the soil drys up VERY quickly, i water them in the morning at 7 and the top of the soil is almost bone dry by 2 oclock.

my question is- does anyone know a similar mix of soil that would retain water well? I like the potting mix and peat combo i am using, do you think doing the same mix except substituting the perlite for vermiculite would suit my needs?

No, what I think you should so is add a little coco coir to it. Maintains water AMAZINGLY and works great as an added medium.

I covered the top of my potted soil with a layer of oyster shells, originally to keep the squirrels from digging, but I soon found that it slowed evaporation considerably. You could try covering it, maybe with some flat stones or large gravel or something. Mine isn't completely covered, some soil is still exposed. I used less than 1/3 peat. My plant drinks a lot, but she's pretty big. Been growing more than 6 months now. She's been in the same pot since she was 2 inches tall.

Also, you can add in some epson salt, they retain water and at the same time relese trace minerals into your soil that most ferts. do not have in them, i'd list the minerals, but I recently smoke that info. out of my dome. but all the above are great to do as well. good luck and keep those ladies wet!
~T-Bone

Yeah, what DomsChron said. I use coco coir only. My LSTd Aurora is gettin really big now in its 5 gall bucket and it is *very* dry here too, but I only have to water it once a week. Check out my grow journal (secret garden) if you want to see the pic. Before I switched to coco I had big problems with soil. It would shrink away from the sides and when I watered most of the water would run down the sides and straight out of drainage. Coco is the biz. Add a bit of lime cos it is a calcium addict.

Also, you can add in some epson salt, they retain water and at the same time relese trace minerals into your soil that most ferts. do not have in them, i'd list the minerals, but I recently smoke that info. out of my dome. but all the above are great to do as well. good luck and keep those ladies wet!
~T-Bone

I've never heard of epsoms having any "water retention" properties. Most/many of your "off the shelf" cheap['i] fertilizers such s miracle-grow, peters, growmore. ect. won't contain magnesium, but most of your "quality" nutrients, Fox farms, Age old, ect. do.

Magnesium and sulfur are the two major components of Epsom Salt. Crop researchers have determined that magnesium is:

* A critical mineral for seed germination.
* Vital to the production of chlorophyll, which plants use to transform sunlight into food.
* An aid in the absorption of phosphorus and nitrogen, two of the most important fertilizer components.

Sulfur, the other major component of Epsom Salt, is also an important plant nutrient. Sulfer may:

* Contribute to chlorophyll production.
* Make the primary nutrients (nitrogen, phosphorus and potassium) found in most fertilizers more effective.

mulch will help those pots retain water. Even a 2 inch layer of native grass as mulch will help a LOT. Vermiculite retains more water than perlite by far. That would help too.

i use a soilless mix with a high porosity[pro-mix hp with Mycorise] so i can water a lot more there for putting more fertilizer in and making the plant very big, also do some researchon mycorise very good stuff.

and if u do want to hold moisture in use mulch or a product called soil moist

Slartibartfast said:
I covered the top of my potted soil with a layer of oyster shells, originally to keep the squirrels from digging, but I soon found that it slowed evaporation considerably. You could try covering it, maybe with some flat stones or large gravel or something. Mine isn't completely covered, some soil is still exposed. I used less than 1/3 peat. My plant drinks a lot, but she's pretty big. Been growing more than 6 months now. She's been in the same pot since she was 2 inches tall.

would covering it with rocks increase insect activity in the soil? especially if its out of a pot? and would coco coir be dangerous to use out of a pot; would it drown the plant in heavy rains?

intellenoob said:
would covering it with rocks increase insect activity in the soil? especially if its out of a pot? and would coco coir be dangerous to use out of a pot; would it drown the plant in heavy rains?

If it causes more insect activity, it wasn't noticeable on mine. I have had no insect problems at all this year. Last year I had some moths lay up in a couple of buds, and then some tiny web making spiders near the end. That forced me to harvest a week early.
I've done it to all three plants that I have grown, and that's the only experience I have to offer. With 3.5 months of 95-105F temps, the shells make a big difference in their water needs. The original reason I first put the shells in there was to keep squirrels from digging. That worked too.

Latest posts

Back