Something funky with my buds maybe?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

parkone

Reaction score
Sorry guys/gals, I have no pics. I'm about a week from harvest and I have these little things coming out of the top of almost every bud that looks like a minature banana. Not sure how else I can explain it. Can someone tell me what the hell these are and if I'm screwed?

Sound like the plant is starting to hermi. If you have no other plants 1 week shouldn't let seeds form other wise cut the plant down. Or you can try to pick ALL the Nanners Off til the plant triches turn the amber you want. When the plant is thru Wash everything down with soap beach and water.

Yeppers,
Those are nanners for certain. Soak down the grow area after your harvest, not the buds, LOL
She went hermie on you, but this close to harvest, I would do like ozzy says, maybe pick off all the nanners I see, and consider if I want to wait for the trichs or just grab a tad early. I say wait myself, but that's just me...

smoke in peace
KK :cool:

Late flower hermi is a pretty common thing with alot of strains, letting you know that your plants are almost done. If you are growing perpetual harvest you need to remove them, or pick off the pollen sacks, or if they are the only plants in there let them finish, and clean your area with a bleach water solution, like King, and Ozzy said.

If you listen to Ed Rosenthal he makes it sound like it's no big deal, that it happens with alot of strains. If you have plants flowering at differnet stages it IS a big deal, and I personally would not use this strain again....so what strain is it...if you don't mind?

Late flower hermi is a pretty common thing with alot of strains, letting you know that your plants are almost done.

If this is becoming a common thing. I would start over with a new batch of seeds.

Thanks for the responses guys. They are all the same strain, Mr Nice planted as clones. I'm literally days away from harvest so I'm just going to let them finish up. I called the guy I bought them from and he told me it's pretty normal just means they are almost done.

parkone said:
Thanks for the responses guys. They are all the same strain, Mr Nice planted as clones. I'm literally days away from harvest so I'm just going to let them finish up. I called the guy I bought them from and he told me it's pretty normal just means they are almost done.

He must be another one reading this stuff from Ed Rosenthal...I tell ya guys I was shocked when I read that he said it was no big deal, and that alot of strains show this trait. I read it in his "The Best of Ask Ed" I don't know if it's because so many are doing the fem thing now, I mean 10 yrs ago there were only a few producing fem seeds, now it seems like every one is doing it...I know 10 yrs ago I didn't hear of hermis very often, but I also did not have the internet, so I don't know. I do know I don't want nanners in my buds though...even in late flower!

This is only my opinion and I am not a breeder, but if I was, I would strive for perfection and not have any late flower hermies before I was satisfied with the results.

parkone said:

IMO, that is simply bull. I would NEVER buy from someone who thinks and/or says that hermies are "normal"--they are not. If I cannot stress a plant without it going hermie, it won't be in my garden. And Ed says a lot of things that I do not agree with. He may think it is no big deal, but if I see nanners popping out, I think it is a big deal. Any of you have an entire crop totally seeded because of one nasty hermie? It just sucks.

I have grown a ton of different strains and have never got any naturally occuring hermies just because it was late in flower. I have stressed a plant to hermie but that was my own fault. I have heard of a few pure sativa strains that do show a couple nanners late in flower but it is not common for most strains to show nanners at all.

DEAD RIGHT, THG!
I totally agree. Genetics, genetics, genetics ...
Parkone, please tell us which strain this is so that I can add it to the HERMIE THREAD. Telling us it is a Mr Nice plant isn't enough, we need to know what specific strain.

maineharvest said:
I have grown a ton of different strains and have never got any naturally occuring hermies just because it was late in flower. I have stressed a plant to hermie but that was my own fault. I have heard of a few pure sativa strains that do show a couple nanners late in flower but it is not common for most strains to show nanners at all.

I had never seen a hermi until a couple yrs ago, in 20+ yrs of growing...granted most of this was done outdoors, I've only moved indoors for a little over a yr. The hermi's I got were from a freind stressing a plant to try to make fem seeds...they are all destroyed now, becuase they produced about 30% herms and this was a strain I had never seen a herm in 10+ yrs.

I'm just telling you what Ed R. had stated in his book, and must have been published in High Times at one time or another, as the book is the best of ask ed.

I was disapointed in a thread I read the other day that Subcool told a memeber that alot of one of his strains, Jacks Cleaner hermi, and you have to pick out of the pheno's that don't...to me, if this is true, it's a crock. Why would anyone knowingly produce seed for sale knowing that it hermi's? I don't care how killer it is! This was in a recent post in strains section I think. I can find the link if anyone is interested in reading it.

Yes THG I have had my experience with hermi's...and hope I never have to deal with it again! I also can't believe alot of the stuff Mr. Ed says.

I know that we see alot of hermi's on this site, but I really attribute this to the fact that we have a lot of new growers, that don't have alot of experience in keeping the grow stress free. But then again there are a heck of alot more "breeders" than there were 10-20 yrs ago, putting their seeds on the market. Alot of them are just chucking pollen to make a buck, and aren't worried about stability, or hermi traits. It sucks, but as long as people are going to keep buying their seeds, they are going to keep producing them.

Leafminer had a suggestion in the suggestions thread for a hermi tracker catagory...I think this is a good idea, if someone would come up with some guidelines for it. I know we would still have to take into consideration rookie mistakes, but if you have 10 different complaints about the same strain, you would think there had to be some validity to it.

maineharvest said:

Well put :) but at least we know those sat strains are naturally that way and its known which ones may exhibit that..from what i read it only occurs on non pollinated ones of certain strains.. But those are sought after by conniseurs that just like those kinda strains. Not most of the cannabis crowd.
As for most of the hermie stuff we see is a byproduct of quantity over quality. Greed over Care. I've only had 1 hermie out of all the crosses i've had. and it was known that one had light stress prior to me getting them, just failed to mention it before i got into flower. The selfed seeds exploded with nanners. I crushed every last seed.

legalize_freedom said:
here is a link to that thread I was talking about with the Subcool info

http://www.marijuanapassion.com/forum/showthread.php?t=51089

I was seriously planning on ordering some TGA gear, but I don't know if I want to now? I hope Subcool responds to this thread, with some sort of reasoning???

I'm not defending Subcool by any means but bare in mind that thread only has what someone said Subcool said. Maybe it's true and maybe it's not but I'm of the opinion it shouldn't necessarily be taken as a fact when it comes through a third party.

leafminer said:
DEAD RIGHT, THG!
I totally agree. Genetics, genetics, genetics ...
Parkone, please tell us which strain this is so that I can add it to the HERMIE THREAD. Telling us it is a Mr Nice plant isn't enough, we need to know what specific strain.

I'm told it's G13

monkeybusiness said:
I'm not defending Subcool by any means but bare in mind that thread only has what someone said Subcool said. Maybe it's true and maybe it's not but I'm of the opinion it shouldn't necessarily be taken as a fact when it comes through a third party.

Yeah, thats why I said "if this is true" and I agree with you, thats really why I was hopeing that Subcool would see it and respond. I'm not going to call the person who said it a liar either. I was going to buy some of his gear...but I'm not sure what I want to do now...stick with more C99 crosses probably...stuff that I know doesn't hermi.

legalize_freedom said:
Yeah, thats why I said "if this is true" and I agree with you, thats really why I was hopeing that Subcool would see it and respond. I'm not going to call the person who said it a liar either. I was going to buy some of his gear...but I'm not sure what I want to do now...stick with more C99 crosses probably...stuff that I know doesn't hermi.
Obviously i wasn't trying to step on any toes and certainly wasn't trying to imply people were purposely being mislead but hearsay is hearsay, and we know how us stoners can get quite worked up over much to do about nothing. (and we get 100x more worked up about are plants!).

If he was nice enough to respond to a PM maybe someone should PM him and ask for some clarification to one of these threads. I dunno, just an idea..

Latest posts

Back