Sopappy's 2nd Manifold in RDWC

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sopappy

Reaction score
No numbers yet but my first attempt was surprisingly fruitful, I felt like I'd trimmed 4 plants instead of the one gangly beast. (my yields have never been good) A 9 week flower, I got confused with my log there I'm sure.

MUCHOS THANKS for excellent advice and comments, you know who you are. I could not have done it without you.
I hope youse can keep an eye on things here too:

Here's 10 seedlings at the 5th node. I'd like to take the best 5 for the buckets and I'll hand water the 5 back-ups.
I'm not sure what I'm looking for but I'm thinking the tightest node spacing,
I'm shying away from that big one, they all had two moms but

the roots are just starting to poke out the bottoms so kind of a poor man's ebb and flow, but I let them sit in the water.

I figure close to transplant time.

LST Low stress training
RDWC Recirculating deep water culture

some details:
I have two LEDS (175, 325) and a T5
two systems with small reservoirs: 1 x 2 bucket, 1 x 3 bucket
Top "drip" is steady flow from 1/4" tube (each bucket)
Hydroton
(I treat the roots with the Myco stuff)
bubba bubba airstones (awesomeness)
mats, fish tank heaters, with STC1000s and HA system
way more fun than a train set

View attachment 1-100_0111.jpg

View attachment 1-100_0105.jpg

Pappy, I subscribed to this thread so I can keep an eye on it and help out if needed. :)

looking good sopappy.......... pulling up a chair. :48:

Hi all. I topped everybody last night and took some more lower leaves tonight. I am clobberring them with 1400 ppm and seems okay so far. I see roots poking through the bottom on about half of them. I'll take the best rooting five for the buckets I guess.
Any day now, I'm stalling as still 4 plants in dirt to harvest.

I'm going to try and keep the 5 remaining ones going as spares, I'm just not sure how.

View attachment 1-101_0004.jpg

View attachment 1-101_0003.jpg

You are going to flower them this small?

I don' t quite understand the "manifold in RDWC"--isn't this a flood and drain of some kind?

Hi THG,

I started a new thread (mainly because I grew to dislike the name of the old one) as this is my 2nd attempt at RDWC and I am doing some LST hoping for 4 nice colas per 5gal bucket. It's funny you comment as I started them in these smaller pots on YOUR suggestion :)... I tried the rapid rooter in the huge net pot (a la Kraven) but failed miserably.... your suggestion was to get them more substantially grown before putting them in the big pots and it's working great...
So yes, right now, it's a half-assed manual flood and drain just to get them established before the buckets. I'll take the best 5 and "pour" them each in to a RDWC bucket.

I edited that first post and added some more details.

Har Har, I didn't think I'd make it this far with all of them,
putting them in dirt defeats the purpose of hydro.
Can I just use coco like earth and re-se the coco? ie potted plants?

I was re-watching those "Gooch" videos and he was going on about light cycles, specifically stating that any light over 17 hours was a waste as the plant shuts down photosynthesis anyways.... I was only doing it because of stretching (and LEO)
Does it or does it not stop stretching?
I guess I'm going to find out, I've switched back to 18 from 24 as electricity here is most expensive in NA

Mj in veg does not need a dark/rest period. They stretch looking for light. I run my veg light 24-7.

Mj in veg does not need a dark/rest period. They stretch looking for light. I run my veg light 24-7.

Oh no, our first fight, hey Duck. Well, I guess we'll find out. I get hosed for electricity here, I'm saving the 6 hours at peak day price, I gotta try it.
If these stretch like the last one (it *was* 24hr veg too), I'll go back.

I'll have to watch it again but somewhere in here, he talks about the plant 'shutting down' after 17 hours whether light is on or not.
http://tinyurl.com/h4qsm4w

They will stretch in vegg when there is no light because they dont stop wanting to reach for the light while vegging. What kinda light you using thats killing you those 6 hours? Those 6 hours makes a big difference in plant production. Thats the 1st ive ever heard of a vegging MJ plant shutting down after 17 hours. I call it Bullshit.

Found this

Cannabis sativa and cannabis indica are diurnal plants meaning that they use day/night light cycles to trigger key growth responses. When growing weed indoors, it is vital to understand that there are two distinct phases to the marijuana light cycle: vegging or vegetating and flowering

Please also read – Marijuana Grow Lights Comparison.

Vegging light cycle
During the marijuana vegging cycle, growing indoors will focus on establishing a solid root system, a strong main stem and lots of foliage consisting mostly of sun leaves. These are the broad five-fingered leaves (sometimes 7 or 9) that are the main engines for growth – converting light, with the addition of carbon dioxide, into sugar which is the plant’s food.

To power this chemical reaction requires plenty of light and in the right frequencies. As you can see by the graph below, marijuana has two chlorophyll A and two chlorophyll B receptors; with two absorption peaks each in both the blue (400-500nm) and red (620-720nm) spectrums. Good full spectrum LED grow lights will cover this entire spectrum.

Marijuana Light Cycle
In addition to photosynthesis, blue light is also critical for phototropism. This is the chemical process that tells the plant where the light source is and keeps your plants pointing towards the sun when outdoors. Even if your grow lights are stationary, your plants still need sufficient blue light for proper growth and orientation. Without it your plants will grow tall and weak ‘searching’ for a light source.

All of this is great to know, but what does it have to do with you and your selection of lights? High pressure sodium (HPS) lights do not have enough blue light for proper phototropism. Roughly 3-4% of their energy is in this range where a minimum of about 12% is required. This is the reason most large-scale growers choose blue-rich metal halide grow lights during the vegging cycle or full spectrum LED grow lights all the way through the grow cycle.

Your lights should be on a timer so as to start and end the day/night cycle at the same time and to keep the day length uniform. To stay in the vegging phase requires a minimum of about 14 hours of continuous light to emulate the longer days of late spring and summer. Longer cycles will not harm your plants as they have no need of ‘sleep’; thus many growers opt for a 24 hour light cycle. Others believe that marijuana need some ‘down time’ to catch up on other physiological processes and will run their lamps 18/6 or 18 hours on and 6 hours off. This also saves some electricity and allows night temperatures to drop, but will marginally slow growth.

Marijuana Light Cycle
Seedlings do not require very much light and can easily be damaged or burned by excessive light or heat. As the plants ‘harden off’ or get used to their new environment, more light can be added. Insufficient luminous flux will cause your plants to stretch in an attempt to reach the light. This will result in tall, weak plants with long internodes. Strong light with insufficient blue light will give the same symptoms. Fluorescents including CFLs, metal halide and single band LEDS with at least 1/8th of the emitters in the blue range will all perform satisfactorily.

How long to veg your marijuana is entirely up to you. It depends on the strain, the size of your grow room and your goals, and could range from 0 days to many months; the average being in the 4-6 week range. Instead of a specific time frame, some farmers will veg until a certain height is reached, often 12 to 18”, with the knowledge that the plants will continue to double or even triple in size once flowering has begun.

Oh no, our first fight, hey Duck. Well, I guess we'll find out. I get hosed for electricity here, I'm saving the 6 hours at peak day price, I gotta try it.
If these stretch like the last one (it *was* 24hr veg too), I'll go back.

I'll have to watch it again but somewhere in here, he talks about the plant 'shutting down' after 17 hours whether light is on or not.
http://tinyurl.com/h4qsm4w

I wasn't actually talking about the size of the pots, I was wondering if you were going to flower them now.

Duck is right about the light. I don't know what video
Gooch has been watching, but this is not true of cannabis. Cannabis is in a class of plant that WILL grow (photosynthesize) all the time it has light and other needs are met. When the plant stretches you end up with significantly less bud sites and therefore, less bud. I cannot imagine that your electricity costs more than the bud you are going to produce shutting your lights off 6-7 hours a day.

:yeahthat:

Its a good video,,,but its information is based on most flowering plants needs.... Marijuana is NOT and is very much UNLIKE most flowering plants. Lol

They will stretch in vegg when there is no light because they dont stop wanting to reach for the light while vegging. What kinda light you using thats killing you those 6 hours? Those 6 hours makes a big difference in plant production. Thats the 1st ive ever heard of a vegging MJ plant shutting down after 17 hours. I call it Bullshit.

Oh, okay, now we're getting somewhere hahaha, this, I understand.

I wasn't actually talking about the size of the pots, I was wondering if you were going to flower them now.

Duck is right about the light. I don't know what video
Gooch has been watching, but this is not true of cannabis. Cannabis is in a class of plant that WILL grow (photosynthesize) all the time it has light and other needs are met. When the plant stretches you end up with significantly less bud sites and therefore, less bud. I cannot imagine that your electricity costs more than the bud you are going to produce shutting your lights off 6-7 hours a day.

class of plant? Now we're getting somewhere. What class, THG?
I don't get the yields you guys get and my electricity is highest in NA and going, yup, you guessed it, UP, the damn, do as I say, not as I do, left wing hypocrite nut bars who now with this stupid climate change BULLSHIT will waste even more.... sorry
Money should be spent on providing clean drinking water to everyone on the plant and then clean up pollution. greedy bastards,a crying shame

Sorry, THG, thanks for listening.
I dunno... no class plant I can read about, they hafta go off.

Hey,,ifen the lights gotta go off,,they gotta go off. Its your Harvest,,and its better then no harvest at all,,right?

Here's my two bucket systems, I've got H2O2 water (15mL/5gal) circulating through the system for a few hours. I'll likely transplant tomorrow giving H2O2 time to dissipate before adding the mycohrizal (sic?) to the roots during transplant. I'm tempted to keep going with 1500 ppm nutes, something weird there, maybe old nuts.

View attachment 1-100_0015.jpg

Latest posts

Back