stagnent water?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

juniorgrower

Reaction score
I was wondering if it is ok to use stagnent water from< mud puddles, skidder ruts, or bog water> for outdoor plants. Lugging water can get to be a full time job. Thanks

Not a good idea but.............. this summer I was helping my buddy water his outdoor grow and we came up way short on water so he said lets get some water from the swamp. I said no way your crazy! He was all about it so we scooped it up and used it with no problems. This water was absolutely disgusting and full of algea type plant life and was brown. I can only imagine what the ph was and what other organizims were living in there but it all worked out and I was very surprised. That being said I still say dont do it.

On my OD grows I have used swamp water for years with no problems

When I first started growing (My God, it's been almost 25 years!!) I grew outdoors along the shore of a swamp. I would canoe from my parents house, up to the swamp 3 or 4 times a week to care for them. All the watering was done from lugging 5 gallon pales from the swamp. It didn't seem to hurt the plants any, but I would not use it now in an indoor grow.

I would be particularly careful about using water collected in "skidder ruts" as there would be a good chance that it could be contaminated with diesel fuel, grease, or chainsaw oil.

Thanks everybody!! I know what you mean about the water looking nasty, its just looks like it couldnt be healthy. But I have heard from other growers using bog water with no problems<That they know of>.

Skidders ruts or any logging type of equipment will most likely have some sort of chemicals in it because of all the hydraulic lines, and hoses for the diesel. Most of the turning mechanism and all the grapple host and pistons use hydraulic oil and seals go in them causing leaks in the seals were the piston move in and out.

The area I grow in has not been cut over for a few years. I wonder how long it takes for the fluids to be gone? There are several old skidder ruts that would be handy to get water from. But its not worth hurting my plants.

Big warning hear. It will probably work, but you're risking introducing disease and molds to the root system, and the water may be low in dissolved O2. Along with Ph issues, salt and residuals posing a possible threat.

So, will it work? Yes. Is it ideal? No.

Thanks ValleyBoy. Like most things in life taking the easy way is not always the best way.

Latest posts

Back