Sugar as a Nute?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

420itadmin

Ok guys I have to clear this up.. My buddy and I are starting our own first grows. He is going the route of wives tales and houseplant growing. See, his mom is a plant/garden nut, and he's taking his childhood experiences of houseplants and small veggies into his grow room. Myself, as I am writing this am about halfway finishing up my Flower room and have been scouring this site for a few weeks now(I have about 5 vegging right now, and yes I will post a grow journal.. more on that later). While I am not bashing his opinions, we see very differently on many things when it comes to our first shot at growing. Anyway, apparently he is under the impression that a little bit of brown sugar water, or molasses added to the soil will help in the growth somehow of the plant. So guys and gals, any thoughts?

Someone will have an easy answer for this, but, from what I remember the beneficial bacteria that aid in root production/or some other beneficial process, eat the carbohydrate that is in molasses as a food source. So it is aiding not the plant directly, but indirectly by feeding micro-bacteria that is symbiotically aiding the plants.

Someone will give you the break down, as molasses is a well known (and cheap) additive for plants by used a lot of growers on this forum, achieving the same thing more expensive nutrients do but for 1/5th the cost.

Don't do it. Plants do not eat people food no matter how 'right' it might sound or look on paper.

I'm sure Irish will chime in he's the one who taught me this. Molasses will help fatten your buds during flowering. I have used it and will continue to use it, got it documented in a GJ around here somewhere. He can pretty much give you the specifics but i tell you it works when used at a certain stage of flowering.

Hello 420itadmin!

Welcome to MP and to the addictive activity of growing. Your friends grow will be a good benchmark to look at- there are many tried and true methods that have withstood the test of time. Sometimes we tend to overthink things and get too technical. Hope to see journals from you and your friend- maybe we can all learn something.

As to your original question, Tact is pretty much on target- with molasses or other carbos available to growers (at ridiculously high prices), you are feeding the soil- not the plant. The earlier you give it to your plants, the better. That helps the microbial action in the soil break down nutrients that the plant can better absorb.

I wish you well on your journey. Good luck and happy growing!

Hm, well this will be interesting! I think since this is my first and experimental grow I am going to go ahead and add it to one of the plants. Probably the slowest grower. If it kills it I hope its fast at least, and not 5 or 6 weeks in. Can anyone give me some insight on what molasses to water ratio I should use?

420... AN nutes has a product out called carbo load... give that a try...
LH

LEFTHAND said:
420... AN nutes has a product out called carbo load... give that a try...
LH

Hey LH-

No disrespect, but this is one of the expensive products available that I referenced.

420itadmin-

I use molasses as a soil supplement and start using it pretty early on, starting about the 2nd week of veg. I use about 2 teaspoons per gallon of water and probably add it about every 3rd watering.

The truth is, I've not done side by side comparisons on whether there is any actual benefit to using it. I have not seen any major differences between earlier grows when I didn't use it- either good or bad.

If you are going to use it, blackstrap unsulphered is what is recommended in everything I've read.

Good luck to you.

BBFan said:
BBFan said:
No disrespect, but this is one of the expensive products available that I referenced.quote]

Non taking i did not see the refrence of carbo load there..... but if youve been on top of er my appolagieze...also it aint that pricey 17-20$ aint bad.. as much as im against AN nutes now.. lol but there is a reason they have it in the hydro stores for growing MJ.. and not a bottle of molassas..
i know that statement will come to haunt me.. (i have never seen a bottle of molassas in a hydro store).... so if they do sell it there then all be damnned... hehe...
LH

i used Botanicare Sweet in the past with great results.... after learning the main compounds in it are derived from molasses, i decided to try adding straight molasses to my water during flowering.... i added at the rate of 1-2 tbsp per gallon in the last 4-5 weeks of flowering and noticed my plants didn't yellow as quickly when i cut back on the ferts..... blackstap molasses is the best kind to use if your going to use it as a fertilizer amendment....

here's a quote from Jorge's Grow Bible:

Sugar
Molasses, honey, and other sugars are siad to increase soil microbials, enhance regrowth, and make the plant's use of nitrogen more effective. Molasses will raise the energy level of the plant and acts as a mild fungicide. Molasses is also the "secret ingredient" in many organic fertilizers.

i have a grow going now using blackstrap mollasses in my feedings. i have been using it since the start. within 4 weeks of vegging i had roots growing out the bottom of its 9" pot. my last grow was done with water and regular plant food. i really think the mollasses is really helping. i mix 1 tbsp to a gallon of water and feed my plant 20oz. per day. i have been told that i am over watering but the plant is doing great and is in its 4th week of flowering. it has been watered 20oz every day since seedling (first set of finger leaves)

Old_SSSC_Guy said:
Don't do it. Plants do not eat people food no matter how 'right' it might sound or look on paper.

True but not true. Like it was stated earlier it is actually the community of micro-organisms that enjoy the sugar, carbs what have you and also the molasses will provide some sulfur needed for growth. When we talk about organic grows we still don't keep in mind that even a "non-organic" grow will have to be assisted by soil biology. Remember feed the soil and not the plants and they will thank you for it. Scientific studies and facts have proven this. No wives tales which sometime have some basis in reality anyway. I hope this helps.

I'm glad you posted that Mindzeye, cause I was just going to go find that article from the 3 little birds. I use 1 tsp of mollasses per gallon every other watering in veg along with FoxFarms Grow Big, and Big Bloom, In flower the last 5 weeks I give the soil 2 tbs/gallon along with FF Tiger Bloom, Big Bloom, Snow storm Ultra at 4 weeks out I give one dose of Humboldt counties own Gravity...sometimes I dose it again sometimes not a week or 2 later depends on how the plants are looking. (unsulphered) Mollasses is a major part of my feeding. I never heard of using brown sugar

I can possibly see the brown sugar as far as carbs go because some sweetners can also contain some cane sugars.

Latest posts

Back