Taking Clones

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ElJefe1971

Bake-Aked Member
Reaction score
I've read and heard some conflicting points of view on when to take clones. The consensus that I have is to do it at the end of vegging, before you start flowering. Is this true? If not, when should I cut some clones? Thanks as always . . .

ElJefe1971 said:
I've read and heard some conflicting points of view on when to take clones. The consensus that I have is to do it at the end of vegging, before you start flowering. Is this true? If not, when should I cut some clones? Thanks as always . . .
Taking clones while your plants are still in the vegetative growth only makes sense.

It takes 3 to 7 days for the plant to recover from cuttings being taken, so you shouldn't switch your lighting into a flowering schedule until the plant recovers from the cuts.

The cuttings you need should be 4 to 6 inches in length and taken from the top of the branch.

If this is done in conjunction with "topping" to promote additional branching earlier in a grow, two results are gained from the same cutting.

1. You get more branches.

2. You get viable clones.

You can take cuttings from a plant at any time you want, right up to the day you harvest the plant.

Taking them when the plant can recover from the cuts and having the cuts be no more than topping of the branches just makes good sense.

Cuttings can be kept alive for weeks prior to rooting. I've taken 3 sets of "toppings" over a month long period to create clones for the next crop. After all of the cuttings have been taken and preserved in plain water as long as necessary, I put them all into my cloning machine at the same time and root them.

When you say preserved in water what do you mean Stoney?

Thanks in advance.

Thanks Stoney. I like your topping idea to get more branches. I've also heard the argument of taking the bottom branches because they won't flower as much as the top anyways. 4 - 6 inches in length, do you mean from where you cut to the tip of the leaf? Thanks and yes these are newbie questions, but that's what I am!

Herm said:
When you say preserved in water what do you mean Stoney? Thanks in advance.
I put them into an opaque container of plain water to keep them healthy until I have them all for rooting. It keeps them alive and in good health. I change 3/4 of the water each day with the base of the cutting never leaving the water.

ElJefe1971 said:
Thanks Stoney. I like your topping idea to get more branches. I've also heard the argument of taking the bottom branches because they won't flower as much as the top anyways. 4 - 6 inches in length, do you mean from where you cut to the tip of the leaf? Thanks and yes these are newbie questions, but that's what I am!
If you look at a profile of the branch, the tallest part downward 4 to 6 inches.

I put them into an opaque container of plain water to keep them healthy until I have them all for rooting. It keeps them alive and in good health. I change 3/4 of the water each day with the base of the cutting never leaving the water.

Stonybud, are you endusing air to the container? Kind of a bubbler? Or are you just lettin em b in the water? How long does this take to root? Any hormones on the stem?
Do you just clip and place in the water? Many Q's I know, it's just been takin so long for mine to root,I need a better plan of action. I know your the man, please help a brother out. Thanks in advance!

DirtySouth said:

Stonybud, are you inducing air to the container? Kind of a bubbler? Or are you just lettin em b in the water? How long does this take to root? Any hormones on the stem?
Do you just clip and place in the water? Many Q's I know, it's just been takin so long for mine to root,I need a better plan of action. I know your the man, please help a brother out. Thanks in advance!
The first stage of this is to only reserve the cuttings for a mass planting.

The initial container is filled with only water to put the clones into an environment that keeps them alive and healthy. No roots are intended in this step.

After several cuttings spanning 2 or three weeks, THEN I put them into my rooting machine with the aeroponic spray containing rooting hormones.

No air is needed in a short glass of water. the surface of the water provides enough oxygen to make the cutting live.

Sometimes, enough cuttings can't be taken at once. This is a way to keep cuttings alive until enough are collected from a host plant or plants.

Cuttings can survive for 3 to 4 weeks using this method prior to rooting. During that time, I can take cuttings using the 30% rule and harvest cuttings from the entire plant, 30% at a time with a week between cutting harvests.

The cuttings are NOT intended to root during the first "Holding" step.

By doing it this way, the cuttings all stay on nearly the same stage of development. When transplanted after rooting, they're all the same size and have the same amount of root formation.

After 15 days in my aeroponic rooting chamber, ALL of my clones have roots from 12 to 15 inches long.

I use the Botanicare Cloning Machine. It's worth every dime of what they charge. I've purchased the supplies to build a much larger one for my LED experiment. I'll need 128 clones per/crop, per/8 weeks for that.

Do you understand now?

My first attempt at cloning was an 80% success yet my second attempt was a 100 % success ! click the link in my sig for a quick review ! Peace and take care ! OOhh and i just cut , dip , and budda bing budda bam !

I built a cloner out of a rubbermaid container and I have had 100 percent success so far having never cloned before.

I took a cutting and just stuck it in some dirt and watered it for an experament and it took awhile but it grew roots and is a healthy plant.

Herm, it works? Just room temp? Bubbler or mister? Man I really need a better way of rootin cuttings. I have some totes, some 4" round airstones, a 60 dual air pump! So I just cut holes in the lid to allow the lil pots w/ hydroton in em. Cut em how long? Do they submerge, or stay out of the water? If out how far above? What should the temp of the water be? What do I add to the water? Do i use a rooting agent on the cuttings? What ppm, tds?
HELP ME,PLEASE

Anyone have any photos of topping or freshly "topped" plants? Much obliged

DirtySouth said:
Herm, it works? Just room temp? Bubbler or mister? Man I really need a better way of rootin cuttings. I have some totes, some 4" round airstones, a 60 dual air pump! So I just cut holes in the lid to allow the lil pots w/ hydroton in em. Cut em how long? Do they submerge, or stay out of the water? If out how far above? What should the temp of the water be? What do I add to the water? Do i use a rooting agent on the cuttings? What ppm, tds?
HELP ME,PLEASE

I bumped a thread that has the plans for the cloner.

http://www.marijuanapassion.com/forum/showthread.php?t=41505

I use 5.5ish RO water I have always used a liquid rooting hormone and mixed it per the instructions however people say you dont need to.

ElJefe1971 said:
Anyone have any photos of topping or freshly "topped" plants? Much obliged

|
\|/ < Before top each line is a stem or branch.
|

\/ < After topping
|

???? ! Definatly another way to explain ! LOL ! fwd picsig

Topping is easy its not hard its exactly what its called. You find a node and you cut off the stem above the node.

Thanks Herm . . . I know it sounds and looks easy, but with a razor blade near my new girls, I get a little nervous I'm gonna do more harm than good. I will let you know how the trimmings come out in a few days.

Latest posts

Back