The Original Old Farts Club

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Good morning GW and everyone else. Just taking my first sip of coffee. Cold and rainy here today for our new furnace ripout/install. Don’t think they will finish till tomorrow. Sure will make me appreciate some heat in this house. Y’all have a sweet day 🥰
View attachment 318814

Morning SubG, Walt, Greywolf, pute, joeb, giggy, big and all. Calm day so far.
Good morning SG and Ness!
bigarmhug.gif
bigarmhug.gif
puffpuffpass_smilie.gif
puffpuffpass_smilie.gif
lt2.gif
lt2.gif
wave.gif

While we are on the subject, I have a perfectly good well on my spread that I do not use. When my house was built, the well-driller put the well ONE foot too close to the septic field (eg: 99' instead of 100'). Musta pissed of the inspector.

At the time, I gave the pore bastage a break (workin' man) and told him to leave the well and set it up to a turnkey sprinkler system. He drilled another well. I never really needed a sprinkler system, so after a short while I stopped using it.

Now I am going to convert the well into a clean water "dipping well" in case of prolonged power outage -- I can run my drinking water well with a generator, but long term, gas might be problematic.

So I am gonna go get a PVC pipe and make a one-way valve at the bottom. I can lower it down until the hole in the side of the PVC pipe gets under water and the pipe fills up. Then pull (rope) it up and pour out the potable water.

While we are on the subject, I have a perfectly good well on my spread that I do not use. When my house was built, the well-driller put the well ONE foot too close to the septic field (eg: 99' instead of 100'). Musta pissed of the inspector.

At the time, I gave the pore bastage a break (workin' man) and told him to leave the well and set it up to a turnkey sprinkler system. He drilled another well. I never really needed a sprinkler system, so after a short while I stopped using it.

Now I am going to convert the well into a clean water "dipping well" in case of prolonged power outage -- I can run my drinking water well with a generator, but long term, gas might be problematic.

So I am gonna go get a PVC pipe and make a one-way valve at the bottom. I can lower it down until the hole in the side of the PVC pipe gets under water and the pipe fills up. Then pull (rope) it up and pour out the potable water.
Read it three times trying to figure what what you were doing. I’m not sure I guess what a dipping well is except maybe the old wells that you lower the bucket down with a rope to retrieve water. Will you be using the well if electricity is out for emergencies? Could you hook a hand pump in its place?
I know you have used one of these before…
6B989437-396B-46A8-8602-750E23C4F5FE.jpeg

Why not install an old fashion pump manual head.
1675273283800.png

Read it three times trying to figure what what you were doing. I’m not sure I guess what a dipping well is except maybe the old wells that you lower the bucket down with a rope to retrieve water. Will you be using the well if electricity is out for emergencies? Could you hook a hand pump in its place?
I know you have used one of these before…
View attachment 318846
Subbie and Roster - Excellent and reasonable suggestion.

Coupla reasons it ain't a "go"...

1. The well pipe is 22-year old PVC alla way down. (this is Floriduh) So if I hung a forty-pound casting with a Tau handle to pump it, I am likely to break the well pipe.

2. Forget the mounting difficulty, just lookit the fargin cost: They are about $150.

3. Without a whole lot more effort and a blue ton less money, I can get sufficient drinking/cooking/washing water easypeasy with a dipping gadget. Water for other stuff is available with a nearby pond and canal, and we store a coupla hunnert gallons in our unused hot tub for emergency potty flushing.

Subbie: We had a green one in the kitchen at the farm. Out back was a red one. We useta take a bucket and fill it half full** take it over to the big wood kitchen stove, and pour it into the container on the side of the stove. That is how we got hot water. I am so fargin old...

**"Half full" --> Pity the stoopit kid that took too much and spilled a bucket of water on the kitchen floor, or slopped it over onto the stove!

Last edited:

1. The well pipe is 22-year old PVC alla way down. (this is Floriduh) So if I hung a forty-pound casting with a Tau handle to pump it, I am likely to break the well pipe.

2. Forget the mounting difficulty, just lookit the fargin cost: They are about $150.

3. Without a whole lot more effort, I can get sufficient drinking/cooking/washing water easypeasy with a dipping gadget. Water for other stuff is available with a nearby pond and canal, and we store a coupla hunnert gallons in our unused hot tub for emergency potty flushing.

Subbie: We had a green one in the kitchen at the farm. Out back was a red one. We useta take a bucket and fill it half full, take it over to the big wood kitchen stove, and pour it into the container on the side of the stove. That is how we got hot water. I am so fargin old...
I used the hand pump in our barn to water the animals. I loved this pumps. What kind of a dipping gadget did you have in mind?

3. Without a whole lot more effort and a blue ton less money, I can get sufficient drinking/cooking/washing water easypeasy with a dipping gadget. Water for other stuff is available with a nearby pond and canal, and we store a coupla hunnert gallons in our unused hot tub for emergency potty flushing.

Subbie: We had a green one in the kitchen at the farm. Out back was a red one. We useta take a bucket and fill it half full** take it over to the big wood kitchen stove, and pour it into the container on the side of the stove. That is how we got hot water. I am so fargin old...

**"Half full" --> Pity the stoopit kid that took too much and spilled a bucket of water on the kitchen floor, or slopped it over onto the stove!
Get a drop in pump
1675280371801.png

Latest posts

Back