The Original Old Farts Club

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
1689508761183.png

gaff looks cool
Sailboats look naturally cool regardless of how they are rigged. With a sloop rig you have less weight aloft than with a gaff rig.
Hi All I am not here to be a Debbie downer. I am so messed up with my illness. I feel like a robot due to doctors giving me pain meds for years. It does help me. I will be starting hospice as my bone cancer is taking over. I LOVE YOU ALL
Sorry to hear that brother! Sending prayers and positive thoughts!

Sailboats look naturally cool regardless of how they are rigged. With a sloop rig you have less weight aloft than with a gaff rig.

Sorry to hear that brother! Sending prayers and positive thoughts!

some sailors like the gaff rig , it helps a lot with the steering , no need of a wind vane

but yeah , to me it means extra parts that could break , more sails to maintain , lots of extra parts

for sure a single masted sloop rig is simple and easy

of course we would like roller furling for single handed sailing with all lines leading to the cockpit

we really like this 35’ footer with the sugar scoop with enclosed dodger and Bimini

IMG_5058.png

IMG_5057.png

Here is one that will make you grin. In the comedy crime book "The Gang That Couldn't Shoot Straight" a frustrated mob boss who had somehow been scammed by a Baptist church group out tons of money screamed:

"I'm gonna kill somebody!! I dunno who the hell it is, but I'm gonna kill somebody!"

Watch the stoopid bull. Funny. Keeps getting funnier. "I'm gonna kill somebody!" Sound up.

Hi All I am not here to be a Debbie downer. I am so messed up with my illness. I feel like a robot due to doctors giving me pain meds for years. It does help me. I will be starting hospice as my bone cancer is taking over. I LOVE YOU ALL
I’m sorry for your illness Slowflow. I know the process of what you are going thru is hard. We have been dealt with the cancer card in our family as well and I know it’s no fun. Sending thoughts for peace and a pain free future 🥰

some sailors like the gaff rig , it helps a lot with the steering , no need of a wind vane

but yeah , to me it means extra parts that could break , more sails to maintain , lots of extra parts

of course we would like roller furling for single handed sailing with all lines leading to the cockpit

we really like this 35’ footer with the sugar scoop with enclosed dodger and Bimini

View attachment 334105

View attachment 334106
I had roller reefed jib on both the 24' and the 36'. The 36' was a cutter rig, so had a second front stay for another jib. I liked the extra sail, but didn't like sailing it on short tacks, because the foresail wouldn't blow through to the other side without reefing it and then pulling it out on the other side, due to interference from second stay.

The original owners of the 36" Cascade lived on it and sailed it around the world just the two of them and the second owner was a retired navy officer who sailed her by himself down the coast to South America and then sailed out a 1000 miles and sailed directly to Alaska, before sailing the inland passage back home to Portland.

Illusions was set up with all the lines and sheets conveniently arranged in the cockpit for single operator. She also had both vane steering and an auto-pilot. Both good to have. Vane steering works the best under sail and the autopilot when running on auxiliary.

I sailed Illusions by myself or with novices regularly, but 36' is about as big as I would care to try, especially when docking in tight spaces. My friend had a 42' twin masted ketch that he regularly sailed from Portland to Alaska with just a mate. The two smaller mains are actually easier to handle while someone tends to the steerage.

I had roller reefed jib on both the 24' and the 36'. The 36' was a cutter rig, so had a second front stay for another jib. I liked the extra sail, but didn't like sailing it on short tacks, because the foresail wouldn't blow through to the other side without reefing it and then pulling it out on the other side, due to interference from second stay.

The original owners of the 36" Cascade lived on it and sailed it around the world just the two of them and the second owner was a retired navy officer who sailed her by himself down the coast to South America and then sailed out a 1000 miles and sailed directly to Alaska, before sailing the inland passage back home to Portland.

Illusions was set up with all the lines and sheets conveniently arranged in the cockpit for single operator. She also had both vane steering and an auto-pilot. Both good to have. Vane steering works the best under sail and the autopilot when running on auxiliary.

I sailed Illusions by myself or with novices regularly, but 36' is about as big as I would care to try, especially when docking in tight spaces. My friend had a 42' twin masted ketch that he regularly sailed from Portland to Alaska with just a mate. The two smaller mains are actually easier to handle while someone tends to the steerage.

living the dream

so how did you get into sailing and learn the ropes?

dam , that Cascade is a fine looking boat and I will add it to my list of potential boats to buy

here is one but the sale is pending , I will bookmark it in case the deal falls through…and it is in Washington!

IMG_5065.png

IMG_5064.png

View attachment 334105

View attachment 334106
now you are talking !!!!!!!!

Latest posts

Back