The Original Old Farts Club

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Big after being out to sea to long.....

giphy.gif

living the dream

so how did you get into sailing and learn the ropes?

dam , that Cascade is a fine looking boat and I will add it to my list of potential boats to buy

here is one but the sale is pending , I will bookmark it in case the deal falls through…and it is in Washington!

View attachment 334109

View attachment 334110
I started with a 14' Lido and joined the Willamette Sailing Club, so as to have a place to store it on the trailer near the boat launch. They also provided classes and held regular races.

Besides the fun of sailing, it was a great way to entertain women. I also had a pilots license and dates enjoyed flying, but with a sailboat they took off most of their clothes and asked me to rub oil on their backs.

I traded up for a 24' Columbia to have a boat with a cabin and to the 36' Cascade to have a blue water boat to live aboard after retirement. I had it ready to go when Grayfox announced that she wasn't sailing out of sight of land.

That was my soon to be wife and my dream back in high school. We were both going to hire into the shops (she did; I got a trade in construction) and when we retired in 30 years, we'd sell the house and everything on land and spend the rest of our lives on the sea.
Once she figured out they don't have a floating Walmart or a Subway out on the open sea, that kinda soured the whole idea.
I was born in this county, raised in this county, never lived anywhere else but this county, and I'll undoubtedly die in this county. Things could be worse. :)

That was my soon to be wife and my dream back in high school. We were both going to hire into the shops (she did; I got a trade in construction) and when we retired in 30 years, we'd sell the house and everything on land and spend the rest of our lives on the sea.
Once she figured out they don't have a floating Walmart or a Subway out on the open sea, that kinda soured the whole idea.
I was born in this county, raised in this county, never lived anywhere else but this county, and I'll undoubtedly die in this county. Things could be worse. :)
The original folks who commissioned Illusions were in their early thirties and lived aboard while seeing the world until they were in their mid-forties, before selling her and began working on their retirement nest egg.

I bought her in my mid 50's, with the plan to retire on her after building our nest egg. The former is probably a better idea, because younger folks can deal with challenging living conditions better than old folks who have gotten soft.

I do not know about you, but I am getting a little old for walking decks in open water.

i heard that!

one has to know their body and it’s limitations

since I am still climbing ladders and roofing houses , pouring and finishing concrete , and plumbing , I feel confident about getting around on a boat

of course I will wear pfd and harness when required

one of my inspirational humans , Joshua Slocum as my #1 inspiration

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2...dest-person-sail-solo-non-stop-across-pacific

IMG_5067.jpeg

IMG_5068.jpeg

Last edited:
Ecuador has a lot of pirate attacks. Don’t think I’d wanna go there in a sailboat…

you are thinking of Somalia maybe?

cruisers have stayed far away from that coast and the Suez Canal in general , what with embassy travel warnings

we’ll all those warnings have been lifted for Somalian coast and the Suez Canal

Ecuador is pretty safe for sailors and tourists from what I know

here is a recent family that recently sailed off the coast of Somalia and through the Suez….I believe they are currently cruising the Greek islands

While I hear a whole lotta Bosun McHearty yelling,

"So we brailed up all futtock shrouds to the jib bilges, and weather'd her, d'ysee, with all plain sail clewed up to the orlop bits, burn me buttocks!"

I really did have a lovely sailboat in the '70's. It cost me $99 new, delivered:
1689534976747.png

Those little Snarks were unsinkable. You could cut one in half and it'd still float.

A bit off subject, but could anyone with a large caliber handgun please come over and hold it to my head 'til I get the bird cages cleaned? It would be greatly appreciated.

Those little Snarks were unsinkable. You could cut one in half and it'd still float.

A bit off subject, but could anyone with a large caliber handgun please come over and hold it to my head 'til I get the bird cages cleaned? It would be greatly appreciated.
IMG_20230716_131645_9.jpg

You have until I get this one back together to get it done!
😆

While I hear a whole lotta Bosun McHearty yelling,

"So we brailed up all futtock shrouds to the jib bilges, and weather'd her, d'ysee, with all plain sail clewed up to the orlop bits, burn me buttocks!"

I really did have a lovely sailboat in the '70's. It cost me $99 new, delivered:
View attachment 334137
Friend of mine had a little sail boat that size. The hull was made of styrofoam. It was heavy styrofoam, not like a cheap cooler. But, it was styrofoam.. kind of like the stuff they float boat docks with.

Bubba

My flipping power is out again. Storm came through Friday, 80-100 mph "straight line winds" what ever that is. About the time I sat down to watch movie, dam power goes off. Off all night, next day goes on for 15 minutes, then back off until 7:45, when it came back on. Stayed on all night, so freezer didn't thaw, nice. Sat down to watch show again, 11:23 in the morning off again. Weather is fine. At least the area says work in progress.

My mother room may bloom if this keeps up. They are light at night, so they had dark overnight and then some.

Guess I better snip a couple clones in case these have to go in flower room. Don't think one night would do it, but they may get another.one, and this is my first go round with an actual mother room.

Bubba

i heard that!

since I am still climbing ladders and roofing houses , pouring and finishing concrete , and plumbing , I feel confident about getting around on a boat

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2...dest-person-sail-solo-non-stop-across-pacific

View attachment 334135

View attachment 334143
I grew up sailing out of Boston when I was a kid and young adult. Sailed to the Virgin Islands on a sloop and back on a catamaran. The cat was a whole lot more comfortable. Spent about 6 months there. I do not know what the sailing out of Washington state is like, but I would consider buying a boat in the Caribbean and sail island to island. Steady winds and no rough seas and plenty of ports and tico bars. And when you get tired of living the Jimmy Buffet life you sell it and move on.

i heard that!

View attachment 334135

View attachment 334143

Latest posts

Back