The Original Old Farts Club

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
sharpen blade

I never sharpened a lawnmower blade..
Every couple of years I buy a new blade.

How do you sharpen yours?

i heard that if you are more aggressive with file/sharpener on one side of blade -vs- other,
then the blade will not be balanced.
If re-installed on machine -it could really mess things up - damage shaft, etc.

Any advice??

Early Saturday..

The North Winds are howling...
No storms this weekend - but it will be as cold as a witch's tit.
Temps are dropping by the hour.

Good weekend for a big pot of stew, NFL Football, and getting stewed on lots-o-Pot!!!

puffpuffpass-bugs-micky.jpg
puffpuffpass-bugs-micky.jpg

I sharpen my lawnmower blades and my grandfather always sharpened his and i never seen it effect the balance. I guess if you get stupid with the file i suppose you could do that but just sharpening shouldn't. I mean your just sharpening not reshaping.

@ Roster, i will get gutter guards when the ones I currently have wear out.

Here is a pic of today's laborious chore. Bubble hash. Not really all that much work just takes time. Started at 9 this morning and just finished. I am hoping I got one oz out of this batch. I have never gotten an oz but have come close. This just might make it. And yes Roster row to the left is the first bag second is the 2nd and then the third you can tell be the size.
'
View attachment 268276
How do you use bubble hash?

Now you got me thinking about this movie.😁

View attachment 268278

That was a great flick... Billy Bob - in character - was Amazing...
BB should have won an Oscar for that role!!

p.s . Blades - a guy showed me one day - in his barn - that he would hang blade on nail (thru center hole) - and if blade was balanced -it would stay perfectly horizontal & parallel to ground.

I soaked in that expert advice - them bought a new blade at hardware store.

G'Morning, y'all. Today project is to try and get my garage in some kink of order...

My next project after I finish with the storage garage, so I have somewhere to move it.

Was getting ready to maybe do a run and friggin knee popped again yesterday, can not put any weight on on.I thought this yr was to be better,

Commiseration from a cyborg who will never run again because of replacement metal knees. The good news is that most of the pain goes away.

I never sharpened a lawnmower blade..Every couple of years I buy a new blade.How do you sharpen yours? i heard that if you are more aggressive with file/sharpener on one side of blade -vs- other,
then the blade will not be balanced. If re-installed on machine -it could really mess things up - damage shaft, etc. Any advice??

With a file. Carefully off the machine or with the plug wire disconnected, so as to not cut myself. If it is significantly out of balance, it will be noticeable when you fire it up, but if you just file away the minimum required, it should last for years, unless of course you are mowing acres.

I never sharpened a lawnmower blade..
Every couple of years I buy a new blade.

How do you sharpen yours?

i heard that if you are more aggressive with file/sharpener on one side of blade -vs- other,
then the blade will not be balanced.
If re-installed on machine -it could really mess things up - damage shaft, etc.

Any advice??

I use the bench grinder method, I have landscaped for many yrs using all sorts of mowers and all the blade were sharpened every week
I never used a blade balance , lil off both side to sharpen it to a sweet sharp cut again.
I have done 100's over the yrs

Morning everybody.

I have my lawnmower blade sharpend twice a year. I have Ace do it. My Lawn Boy is over twenty years old and still ticking. One of the keys to a healthy lawn is a sharp blade.

@walt, how do I use bubble hash.....I smoke it. Ha ha! Let it dry so no mold and smoke the stuff. I make Indica hash and smoke it at bed time....bam...out before the light goes dark.

Morning everybody.

I have my lawnmower blade sharpend twice a year. I have Ace do it. My Lawn Boy is over twenty years old and still ticking. One of the keys to a healthy lawn is a sharp blade.

@walt, how do I use bubble hash.....I smoke it. Ha ha! Let it dry so no mold and smoke the stuff. I make Indica hash and smoke it at bed time....bam...out before the light goes dark.
I made and then pressed it in one of these
1611416792589.png
The hash is so compressed and hard I can never break a piece off to smoke LOL

Explain???
https://www.harborfreight.com/1-1-4-quarter-cubic-ft-compact-cement-mixer-91907.html
I stuff it with weed, take a plastic salad bowl half full of ice, pitch the ice in, take the garden hose and give it a squirt of water, turn the bowl around and plug the mixer with it, and switch it on. 5 or 10 minutes later, I pull the bowl off, stick a screen over the opening, and dump the water into a bubble bag that's in a 5 gallon bucket. After I get the goodies out, I dump the green water back in with a little added ice if needed, and run 'er again. I usually go for three or four runs before I change out the weed for fresh stuff.
Lazy man's way to make hash. I should add, I wouldn't try it with a mixer that's ever been used for cement. Mine's had nothing but weed in it since I bought if a few years back for $99.

If I was going to do it large scale, I'd use a dedicated clothes washing machine. Lots of weed and ice, and the spin cycle does most the work.

Latest posts

Back