The Original Old Farts Club

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
indeed!

this sailor is another inspiration!

and a salty dog

Slocum joined the crew of a merchant vessel at 16 and from that time on spent most of his life at sea.

In 1889 he wrote Voyage of the Liberdade about one of his passages and in 1894 Voyage of the Destroyer about another.

In April 1895 he set sail from Boston in the 36-foot 9-inch (11.1-metre) Spray, an old fishing boat built about 1800 that he had rebuilt. He sailed alone, following a route that took him to Nova Scotia, the Azores, Gibraltar, South America, Samoa, Australia, South Africa, the West Indies, and finally, in June 1898, to Newport, R.I., to complete his circumnavigation.

He had sailed 46,000 miles (74,000 km) in three years, two months, and two days.

In 1899 he wrote Sailing Alone Around the World, which became a classic in the literature of the sea.

In 1909 he set sail from New England in the Spray to spend the winter in Grand Cayman and was lost at sea.

He was assumed to have been the victim of a collision; he and the Spray were never found, and in 1924 he was declared legally dead.

View attachment 340544
One of my favorite books is my copy of Great Stories of the Sea and Ships, edited by N.C. Wyeth. I love those kinds of stories, likely because I haven't the stones to have been a real sailor, sticking instead to staying within view of land when I did go out. lol

"Not only does it showcase the fiction of such classic writers as Daniel Defoe, Jules Verne, and Jack London, but the entries also feature historic first-person narratives, including Christopher Columbuss own account of his famous voyage in 1492. Every page offers excitement, from vivid tales of heroic naval battles and dangerous journeys of exploration to the thrilling stories of castaways and smugglers. The astonishing variety of works includes The Raft of Odysseus, by Homer; Hans Christian Andersens The Mermaid; The Specksioneer, by Elizabeth Gaskell; Washington Irvings The Phantom Island; and Rounding Cape Horn, by Herman Melville."

https://www.amazon.com/Great-Stories-Ships-N-C-Wyeth/dp/0883657074

good morning

toast and jelly on the counter and some nice hot smooth coffee

IMG_5984.jpeg

July 10 1975 hungover from a party in honor of someone we lost due to illness.
I am on a washing machine drilling out with that drill ( A milwaukee D handle drill.
That was the old milwaukee and no clutches and was a animal.
Bound up into the brick fasacde ,spun the drill around ,split my lip and knocked me off the machine.
Felt I got hit by mike tyson
You should have had Subgal show you how to do it.
Be careful and work smarter not clumsy.

pulled in a $10K scratch-off last nite .. oldest grandchild's comin' down this weekend for her oldest's boy's birthday party, he turns 5 . . . so I'll give her $2K of it and the other 4 grandkids will get $1K apiece .. mrs patwi says she wants the rest to order up some extra Christmas presents ...

It's a blessing to not desire greediness ...

pulled in a $10K scratch-off last nite .. oldest grandchild's comin' down this weekend for her oldest's boy's birthday party, he turns 5 . . . so I'll give her $2K of it and the other 4 grandkids will get $1K apiece .. mrs patwi says she wants the rest to order up some extra Christmas presents ...

It's a blessing to not desire greediness ...

congratulations Amigo!

Latest posts

Back