The Original Old Farts Club

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've got so many that they'll actually kill the grass even mulched into tiny pieces. They do make for some great compost.
Yep. I have soft maples (UGH). What doesn't get mowed over, I blow to the curb and the city workaholics come by and suck them up with a big old vacuum twice each cold season. Then they carry it over to their yard and we can go get 'free' compost. Same with brush and mulch.

if the lawn needs mowed , I mow it , could care less if there are leaves or not
There will be nothing in my lawn except for the patters I mow into it. Love a well maintained yard. Always have, Keeps me from getting bored. The wind out there blows all your leaves to Kansas.

I am finished for the day. New leaves have already replaced the ones I mowed. Will have to repeat this process 3 or 4 times before they have all fallen. I mow them into the grass....lots of good nutrients in leaves. Like a free fertilization. Time to get a buzz going.
Now we come to the utter joy of Suthrin' livin'... My lawn gets mowed twicet a month, and while it is solid green, it isn't grass. It's something called "Florida Snow" (AKA: Pulsey) that stays close to the ground. Pretty when not in bloom, beautiful in bloom.

Outside:
1698267925426.png

That thin, tilted tree is a macadamia nut tree. It is 22 years old and it has never gotten past flowering before everything (birds, squirrels, raccoons) eats the fargin flowers. Forget about any macadamia nuts. Sheesh.

Check out the kewl ending of this short 35-second vid about my Florida snow!!

'Tis the season: Five things to know about the little flower sometimes called 'Florida snow'

So no cut grass to rake over the whole acre. Oh... fergot to add: Pulsey is yummy in salads. So I guess I can grow something -- or could not prevent it from growing.

I think I will go out and pick a lawn salad.

Last edited:
Now we come to the utter joy of Suthrin' livin'... My lawn gets mowed twicet a month, and while it is solid green, it isn't grass. It's something called "Florida Snow" (AKA: Pulsey) that stays close to the ground. Pretty when not in bloom, beautiful in bloom.

Outside:
View attachment 344984
That thin, tilted tree is a macadamia nut tree. It is 22 years old and it has never gotten past flowering before everything (birds, squirrels, raccoons) eats the fargin flowers. Forget about any macadamia nuts. Sheesh.

Check out the kewl ending of this short 35-second vid about my Florida snow!!

'Tis the season: Five things to know about the little flower sometimes called 'Florida snow'

So no cut grass to rake over the whole acre. Oh... fergot to add: Pulsey is yummy in salads. So I guess I can grow something -- or could not prevent it from growing.

I think I will go out and pick a lawn salad.
Nice. Peaceful as well I bet.

while the Pulsey grass looks pretty , it is a noxious weed…looks like bindweed , that stuff will bankrupt a farmer

WEED OF THE MONTH – FLORIDA PUSLEY​

Jun 17, 2019 | Print
Florida pusley (Richardia scabra) can be a troublesome turfgrass weed.
Florida pusley (Richardia scabra) can be a troublesome turfgrass weed.
Jackie Jordan ©2015, Clemson Extension

Florida pusley is a low-branching, annual summer weed. Its pretty, white, star-shaped flowers produce an abundance of seeds, and a single plant can quickly turn into an infestation.

This weed is extremely drought tolerant and can easily out compete lawns that are not irrigated during extended dry weather conditions.

Florida pusley is often found in open thin areas of turf.

A lawn dominated by Florida pusley could be suffering from a nematode infestation.

Nematodes are microscopic worms that attack the root system of the grass. They are very prolific in the Sandhill and Coastal Plain regions of South Carolina. Nematodes cause yellowing and thinning of turf. For more information on nematodes, check out HGIC 2154, Nematode Problems in Home Lawns.

Latest posts

Back