The Original Old Farts Club

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Back in my wild river running days of yore, for my assigned night as dinner cook, I often fixed a ham for dinner in a firepit, where I cross hatched the top and sides of the ham and inserted cloves in each of the intersections, and then lay pineapple slices on top. I mixed the pineapple juice with Grand Mariner and poured it over the ham before sealing the pot with a lid to baste the ham in it's vapors.

I cooked it buried in coals and out in the wilds of nowhere, it was always well received and appreciated after a day on the wild river.

View attachment 347414
Back in my teenage years (yeah, way back) we used to take an hour drive north to a little spot called Gordon's Creek. It was a spot out in the woods where hippies, freaks, and bikers would meet up and party. Sometimes there'd be local bands. Somebody brought a hog and some shovels. I helped dig the hole and collect the big field stones. We chucked the stones in the bottom of the hole, put the hog in after it had been wrapped in a salt water soaked canvas and a pineapple or three got stuffed in it, and filled the rest up with firewood scavenged from the area. I was tripping my young ass off on acid, so I stayed up all night replenishing the wood. Come morning, I'd been instructed to let the fire die down. Folks were cooking bacon and eggs in pans over the coals.
Once everything was done in the afternoon, we dug out the pig. The meat would literally fall off the bone. Best hog I'd ever eaten.

Found this in my files
1700758932304.png

Last edited:
Back in my teenage years (yeah, way back) we used to take an hour drive north to a little spot called Gordon's Creek. It was a spot out in the woods where hippies, freaks, and bikers would meet up and party. Sometimes there'd be local bands. Somebody brought a hog and some shovels. I helped dig the hole and collect the big field stones. We chucked the stones in the bottom of the hole, put the hog in after it had been wrapped in a salt water soaked canvas and a pineapple or three got stuffed in it, and filled the rest up with firewood scavenged from the area. I was tripping my young ass off on acid, so I stayed up all night replenishing the wood. Come morning, I'd been instructed to let the fire die down. Folks were cooking bacon and eggs in pans over the coals.
Once everything was done in the afternoon, we dug out the pig. The meat would literally fall off the bone. Best hog I'd ever eaten.

we did that one year about '75 .. about 50 peeps there and the hog simmered all night in coals .. never had one so soft and tasty since

I hope ya buried some potatoes wrapped in al foil too

I've toyed with the idea of doing a small pig sometimes. Got the rocks, got a backhoe, and I've got lots of firewood. Trouble is, all my friends are dying off on me. Got a few neighbors left, though. :)
My now deceased brother-in-law bought a wiener pig every year on his birthday and cooked it on a spit over coals. We took turns manning the spit and all got aprons labeled Master Basters.

the guy that started our spit roast was Hawaiian, a native ... what brought him to the mainland was that he liked Willie Nelson ..

The key he always said was to stay up all night and turn it

the guy that started our spit roast was Hawaiian, a native ... what brought him to the mainland was that he liked Willie Nelson ..

The key he always said was to stay up all night and turn it
lot of work.
Im partial and well versed in pork.
To me the absolute best is a 80 or 90 lb pig in a "Caja box"
90 lbs is the max .
By me its not worth it
close to $3.00 a lb and charcoal a pig could cost $400.
Lot of waste in bones and skin.
I talk schitt until a opportunity arises and I forget what I just said.

lot of work.
Im partial and well versed in pork.
To me the absolute best is a 80 or 90 lb pig in a "Caja box"
90 lbs is the max .
By me its not worth it
close to $3.00 a lb and charcoal a pig could cost $400.
Lot of waste in bones and skin.
I talk schitt until a opportunity arises and I forget what I just said.

ours was large .. probably 150 lbs . cooked 20 plus hours

Latest posts

Back