The Original Old Farts Club

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
^^^^I went with gold. My gut says to buy more but hopefully there is still hope for the Red, White and the Blue. I don't trust crypto just yet. I guess I have just gotten to cautious in my old age.

scrooge-thinking.gif
Crypto already starting to establish itself as a good store of wealth. Predictions are it will overtake gold as a SoW

Crypto already starting to establish itself as a good store of wealth. Predictions are it will overtake gold as a SoW
Here is where I must absolutely disagree.

Crypto is a store of wealth because just like the Tulpenwindhandel (tulip craze):

1. Crypto -- like a very special kind of tulip bulb -- cannot be forged or counterfeited.

2. Crypto -- like the Semper Augustus tulip -- has value because people say it has value.

The flip side -- continuing the lock-step comparison to the event that destroyed Holland as THE major world power. (eg: Tulpenwindhandel)

1. Crypto can disappear off the face of the earth in many ways... just like a special tulip bulb, which could be victim of blight.

1.a. War <-- fortunately, we will never have a big war. Right? EMP.
1.b. Power Outage <-- never happen, since we have world trade running so well. Right?
1.c. Intentional Sabotage <-- never happen, there are no crazies that just destroy. Right?
1.d. Carrington Event <-- The one that hit us in 1859... if it hit today, it would destroy anything requiring electricity. Anything at all. A quote from NOAA: "storms half as intense as the 1859 storm happen about every 50 years." "New research shows that "severe" space super-storms occurred in 42 of the last 150 years."

Lastly -- And get a firm grip on your hiney: We just missed! Lookit:

https://science.nasa.gov/science-news/science-at-nasa/2014/23jul_superstorm/--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
July 23, 2014: If an asteroid big enough to knock modern civilization back to the 18th century appeared out of deep space and buzzed the Earth-Moon system, the near-miss would be instant worldwide headline news.

Two years ago, Earth experienced a close shave just as perilous, but most newspapers didn't mention it. The "impactor" was an extreme solar storm, the most powerful in as much as 150+ years.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What, Africanna, remains if/when any/all of the above take place? Humanity will be set back a sooper schitload. EVERYTHING we know will change. It would/will be horrible.

All that said, there will be survivors and thrivers. Always have been, always will be. And there will be that one thing that Man has valued no matter where he is: Aztecs, Romans, Chinese, Egyptians, all humans -- all throughout history -- have valued...

What? Africanna? The electric dots and dashes that indicated you were rich? The ones that evaporated when that clever code was broken/erased/ceased to exist even in meta-universes for any of the very real reasons given above? Could anyone HOLD a crypto or use one without a cell tower nearby?

Q.E.D.

nem. con. <-- No rational argument to the contrary is possible.

Last edited:

Excellent Arrogant Dicckhead needs his knees buckled Could not happen to a nicer Guy
His defense is I did not load the gun. But he should have double check it 1st. Super recklessness is a charge too.

My rasty old pappy made me memorize the Shooters 10 commandments before he would let me shoot a bb gun. Look at how many of them Baldwin violated:
https://www.hunter-ed.com/muzzleloa...-Commandments-of-Firearm-Safety/222099_88820/
hey there Amigo..today is the worst day of the four , Swede and me are both sick as dogs this morning........so we are just going to chill out today and try and get a handle on this crap , thanks for asking

How are ya'll doing this morning brother?

Leaf Time How ,many bags today

We have mostly conifers, but a bazzilion Maple leaves and et al blow over from the park across the street, which I let our lawn care contractor collect and pile at the curb parking, for the city to collect on Leaf Day. We normally only bring in our landscape contractor once a year, so I sometimes blow the leaves out of the front gardens onto the lawn, using my detachable blower from my shop vac.

Oh.... didn't think of that angle.

Envision the phrase, "When the shit hits the fan and is unevenly distributed". I trust it is a riding mower..........

Yes indeed , he better be buying the others drinks for a year after that save
I wonder how many hits that Leo took before dropping
3 Big gun hunters zoned in on him
Not a fair fight at all
I agree. As we are born, we are helpless against that predator. But we do not stay as we are born. We have become the deadliest predator on the planet... and I do not find killing a lion with what amounts to a machine-gun to be "sport".

We should leave the noble, but thoroughly beaten foe to his world.

I agree. As we are born, we are helpless against that predator. But we do not stay as we are born. We have become the deadliest predator on the planet... and I do not find killing a lion with what amounts to a machine-gun to be "sport".

We should leave the noble, but thoroughly beaten foe to his world.
And don't forget the real bad asses who hunt Elephants
Them Fucck heads
giphy.gif

Crypto is a store of wealth because just like the Tulpenwindhandel (tulip craze):

1. Crypto -- like a very special kind of tulip bulb -- cannot be forged or counterfeited.

2. Crypto -- like the Semper Augustus tulip -- has value because people say it has value.

The flip side -- continuing the lock-step comparison to the event that destroyed Holland as THE major world power. (eg: Tulpenwindhandel)

1. Crypto can disappear off the face of the earth in many ways... just like a special tulip bulb, which could be victim of blight.

1.b. Power Outage <-- never happen, since we have world trade running so well. Right?
1.c. Intentional Sabotage <-- never happen, there are no crazies that just destroy. Right?
1.d. Carrington Event <-- The one that hit us in 1859... if it hit today, it would destroy anything requiring electricity. Anything at all. A quote from NOAA: "storms half as intense as the 1859 storm happen about every 50 years." "New research shows that "severe" space super-storms occurred in 42 of the last 150 years."

https://science.nasa.gov/science-news/science-at-nasa/2014/23jul_superstorm/--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
July 23, 2014: If an asteroid big enough to knock modern civilization back to the 18th century appeared out of deep space and buzzed the Earth-Moon system, the near-miss would be instant worldwide headline news.

Two years ago, Earth experienced a close shave just as perilous, but most newspapers didn't mention it. The "impactor" was an extreme solar storm, the most powerful in as much as 150+ years.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What, Africanna, remains if/when any/all of the above take place? Humanity will be set back a sooper schitload. EVERYTHING we know will change. It would/will be horrible.

All that said, there will be survivors and thrivers. Always have been, always will be. And there will be that one thing that Man has valued no matter where he is: Aztecs, Romans, Chinese, Egyptians, all humans -- all throughout history -- have valued...

What? Africanna? The electric dots and dashes that indicated you were rich? The ones that evaporated when that clever code was broken/erased/ceased to exist even in meta-universes for any of the very real reasons given above? Could anyone HOLD a crypto or use one without a cell tower nearby?

Q.E.D.

nem. con. <-- No rational argument to the
Here is where I must absolutely disagree

Q.E.D.

nem. con. <-- No rational argument to the contrary is possible.
That's absolutely fine - lets agree to disagree and allow time to run its course and show us

^^^Funny but true story: My big brother's frat brother got the call to head to Detroit for his induction physical. The bus pulls up, and some DI starts screaming at them to get off the bus and run, run, run. Bob looks at the dude and tells him to FO. DI screams even louder. Again, FO, I'm not in your stinkin' army yet, fool. Besides, you can't take me, I'm color blind. The DI smiles and in a quiet voice says, "Son, we've been looking for you."
Turns out that color blind folks went to the head of the class. They needed 'em for counter sniper duty. Normal folks see a green tree. Color blind folks see a gray tree with a big black blob in it. The blob is your target.

^^^Funny but true story: My big brother's frat brother got the call to head to Detroit for his induction physical. The bus pulls up, and some DI starts screaming at them to get off the bus and run, run, run. Bob looks at the dude and tells him to FO. DI screams even louder. Again, FO, I'm not in your stinkin' army yet, fool. Besides, you can't take me, I'm color blind. The DI smiles and in a quiet voice says, "Son, we've been looking for you."
Turns out that color blind folks went to the head of the class. They needed 'em for counter sniper duty. Normal folks see a green tree. Color blind folks see a gray tree with a big black blob in it. The blob is your target.
True dat. Holy schit. I din' think anybody knew that. They were generally used in hoppycoptators.

Latest posts

Back