The Original Old Farts Club

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
1628079792169.png

mornin' the security cameras I run in the compound here are all hooked up with a 12 gage .. and my finger

12 gage wire is standard home 120v wiring , a bit of overkill for such a small camera

I agree that 3 1/2" 12 ga may be overkill, but either the 2 3/4" round should be fine indoors or outdoors with #4 buck.

The nice thing is the whole perimeter of the house is covered as well as my grow....if you come around I will know 🔫

Peace of mind is a good thing. I assembled my own alarm systems from components and found chips that bark like dogs, but not one that sounded like a 12 gauge chambering a round. I think that might be worth its weigh in gold, especially if all the lights come on at the same time.

I'd be down with trying that out! Bubba

Naw, when Walt did it, they didn't use those sissy masks and used lead instead of wax. CCI used (might still) make plastic cases with plastic wad cutter bullets that were fired with magnum pistol primers. Ten feet on bare skin, they'd make blood flow. They worked great in a Python, but a Trooper Mark III had too narrow of a gap between the rear of the cylinder and frame, so you had to sand 'em down so they'd load.

Yes I had the CCI in 38cal they were just a hard plastic wad bullet shot with nothing but primer, but they were expensive for me so I made a wax cutter in 38cal size and cranked out a few hundred at a time.

We used to pull the bullets and push the round into a bar of soap to make rounds for fast drawing.

somehow I have managed to booger up both my shoulders to the place that it is difficult to sleep on either side and when I sleep on my back , I snore , and that upsets Swede and then I end up on the couch for the rest of the night and her sister

I commiserate brother! Besides the less comfortable position and sofa, as well as loss of companionship from snoring, it is harder to fart lying on ones back too!

The nice thing is the whole perimeter of the house is covered as well as my grow....if you come around I will know 🔫
I'm envisioning automatic laser markers to guide smart bullets fired by my robot on anything that moves.
You are right the resolution isn't perfect but I can talk to you and record you, zoom in and get a pretty good look at you.
Cheap cameras with high resolution and even night vision are becoming better and better for less and less. Over 30 years security camera video has gone from a general shot at say a large floor of shoppers, where you really couldnt ID anyone, just you know "It's the guy in the yellow shirt" to high res video that can zoom in close enough to ID items in their hand, how many hangers, etc and ability to zoom in with little or no quality loss.

For 20 bucks you can buy minicameras that are like a flash drive. Just set it some where, it will fill up several 10-20 minute sections, maybe 5 total. When they are all filled up, it begins recording over the first section, then goes to the next. When event happens, you can "save" the section with the event on it, so it doesnt get recorded over. Resolution is surprising. This is the same technology used in the many "car cams" that are on the road today.

Bubba

These days a car cam is a necessity and the prices are very affordable for quality merchandise .
Too many Guatemalans, Hondurans and Ethiopians and others only drove donkeys in their home countries and are behind the learning curve of safe vehicle driving.

I like these .. may get a pair

https://www.zetronix.com/shop-by-co...l?cnxclid=16280897657346271202410070301008005
Kestral, I believe that is the same out fit that makes long range shooting accessories as well.....

Bubba

Good morning all you Cool Cats

somehow I have managed to booger up both my shoulders to the place that it is difficult to sleep on either side and when I sleep on my back , I snore , and that upsets Swede and then I end up on the couch for the rest of the night

otherwise it’s all good and I like being up at the butt crack of dawn

time for some coffee

here is Dawn

View attachment 276406

and her sister

View attachment 276407
Can I get two Dawns and one Sis to go?

@Tattered,

These two quote triggered some funny memories--

I agree that 3 1/2" 12 ga may be overkill, but either the 2 3/4" round should be fine indoors or outdoors with #4 buck.

I traded my 2 3/4" 12ga shooter to get a brand new 3 1/2" 12ga turkey gun. Except for practice, I have fired it five times. Got five turkeys with the thing. Love the beast, but it has a recoil like a .50 cal.

Peace of mind is a good thing. I assembled my own alarm systems from components and found chips that bark like dogs, but not one that sounded like a 12 gauge chambering a round. I think that might be worth its weigh in gold, especially if all the lights come on at the same time.

Back in the Olden Days, one of my buds got some leave time. After a coupla days, he got pretty oiled at the local boozer, and decided to play a little trick on his wife.

When he got home, he snuck around the back to the ground-floor bedroom window, and began to silently lift it up. He got it pretty well opened... and he heard his 12ga being racked back in the darkness of the bedroom.

He hit the ground with his hands over his head, screaming: "Honey! It's ME! Don't shoot!"

When he told us that story, I laughed so hard, tears ran down my leg.

I'm envisioning automatic laser markers to guide smart bullets fired by my robot on anything that moves.

Cheap cameras with high resolution and even night vision are becoming better and better for less and less. Over 30 years security camera video has gone from a general shot at say a large floor of shoppers, where you really couldnt ID anyone, just you know "It's the guy in the yellow shirt" to high res video that can zoom in close enough to ID items in their hand, how many hangers, etc and ability to zoom in with little or no quality loss.

For 20 bucks you can buy minicameras that are like a flash drive. Just set it some where, it will fill up several 10-20 minute sections, maybe 5 total. When they are all filled up, it begins recording over the first section, then goes to the next. When event happens, you can "save" the section with the event on it, so it doesnt get recorded over. Resolution is surprising. This is the same technology used in the many "car cams" that are on the road today.

Bubba
True dat. I just gave my son a trail camera. The difference (today) between a trail camera and a security camera is that trail cameras:

1. Do not require hardwiring (not even a plug)
2. Can be placed/moved with no effort
3. Use special AA batteries that will last 8 months of continuous recording capability
4. Can take hi-res pictures by infra-red 100ft away. Unnoticeable to people or animals.
5. Will take color videos. 20MP 1080P H.264
6. Instant download (without moving the camera) to your i-whatever (or watch it there)
7. Activates in 0.1 second (a bird flying by will be frozen in flight)
8. Motion Activated for Wildlife, Hunting, Property Security
9. Costs $65. <-- A fill-up for a pickup truck. But it lasts years.

Latest posts

Back