The Original Old Farts Club

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Kudos on just seeing that small a target at 100 feet, which would be a challenge for me without a scope. What kind of sights do you use?

You have to admire the nice flat trajectory entering the target. Assuming a target bolt, how much drop do you dial in for 100' with your bow?
Jeepers, TOG!! Whut kinda fargin octegenarian Sooper Man ya think I are?? My crossbow has a telescopic sight.

But to first address the "target/hunting bolt" thingy. It shoots carbon arrows (same as archery arrows) with target tips that weigh exactly what my Scorpion-bladed tips weigh.

Now to the sights on the thing:

There are a series of horizontal thread-wires in the sight picture of the scope. Each one represents 20 yards. So if you are sighted in for, say, 30 yards (that's me), then each horizontal wire above the base keeps you on target for that distance.

I honestly haven't a fargin clue how much drop there is, becuz all I do is line up the next thread-wire in the scope. But I can tell you that with about any good quality big-game crossbow, the trajectory rise is unnoticeable for any arc to be visible. Looks like a straight line.

The main two drawbacks?

1. You really must take a sighting shot before hunting or scoring. Temperature, time since last use, humididity, all make the fargin thing drift. So you need one shot at least to zero the arrow impact.
I would equate it to a fouling shot with a gun.

2. Loading the mutha. It requires a six foot garrote cord that you loop over two hooks and a groove in the rear stock to form a wheel-less block-and-tackle with two pull-starter handles. Pant puf.

Once you get everything lined up like a friggin' slot machine you put your foot in the cradle on the ground and PULL on the handles until one of your gonads enlarges. Then you hear that marvelous "CHUNK" as the weapon announces it is loaded and ready for the arrow.

While we are on the subject: Since I have a Terminator shoulder and upper arm, the Game Laws people have seen fit to gimme the right to use my crossbow in bow season (before the machine-gunners spook the herd).

There is a signal result: Every single game animal I ever shot at with my crossbow went down. Never missed a deer, hawg, turkey, or (during bow season) a coyote. Shoot = Dead beastie.

Last edited:
Told the Old Hen that it sure looked like rain coming. She assured me that the weather wizards said it was going to look gloomy, but no rain. I hauled the Jeep outta the garage and proceeded to get it ready for winter. I had some touchup to do to some rust spots. Got everything sanded down and prepped, and guess what? It wasn't a hard rain, but it was still the wet kind. Luckily got most of it done and back in the garage it went.
Saw my favorite weather guru, Ryan Hall, on youtube. They're saying possible snow in October! Reminds me of Halloween when I was a kid.

Jeepers, TOG!! Whut kinda fargin octegenarian Sooper Man ya think I are?? My crossbow has a telescopic sight.

But to first address the "target/hunting bolt" thingy. It shoots carbon arrows (same as archery arrows) with target tips that weigh exactly what my Scorpion-bladed tips weigh.

There are a series of horizontal thread-wires in the sight picture of the scope. Each one represents 20 yards. So if you are sighted in for, say, 30 yards (that's me), then each horizontal wire above the base keeps you on target for that distance.

I honestly haven't a fargin clue how much drop there is, becuz all I do is line up the next thread-wire in the scope. But I can tell you that with about any good quality big-game crossbow, the trajectory rise is unnoticeable for any arc to be visible. Looks like a straight line.

The main two drawbacks?

1. You really must take a sighting shot before hunting or scoring. Temperature, time since last use, humididity, all make the fargin thing drift. So you need one shot at least to zero the arrow impact.

2. Loading the mutha. It requires a six foot garrote cord that you loop over two hooks and a groove in the rear stock to form a wheel-less block-and-tackle with two pull-starter handles. Pant puf.

Once you get everything lined up like a friggin' slot machine you put your foot in the cradle on the ground and PULL on the handles until one of your gonads enlarges. Then you hear that marvelous "CHUNK" as the weapon announces it is loaded and ready for the arrow.

While we are on the subject: Since I have a Terminator shoulder and upper arm, the Game Laws people have seen fit to gimme the right to use my crossbow in bow season (before the machine-gunners spook the herd).

There is a signal result: Every single game animal I ever shot at with my crossbow went down. Never missed a deer, hawg, turkey, or (during bow season) a coyote. Shoot = Dead beastie.
Did the scope come with the crossbow or did you add it? What brand and model number?

I have a 375lb Barett Commando that breaks in the center like a shotgun to cock. I put a conventional 3-9 Leupold scope on it without range finding.

Ukrainian jobs available for all ages ..

cb8f8cd11f0caf05.jpeg

Told the Old Hen that it sure looked like rain coming. She assured me that the weather wizards said it was going to look gloomy, but no rain. I hauled the Jeep outta the garage and proceeded to get it ready for winter. I had some touchup to do to some rust spots. Got everything sanded down and prepped, and guess what? It wasn't a hard rain, but it was still the wet kind. Luckily got most of it done and back in the garage it went.
Saw my favorite weather guru, Ryan Hall, on youtube. They're saying possible snow in October! Reminds me of Halloween when I was a kid.
I hated that

Did the scope come with the crossbow or did you add it? What brand and model number?

I have a 375lb Barett Commando that breaks in the center like a shotgun to cock. I put a conventional 3-9 Leupold scope on it without range finding.
Puff/pant/wheeze Hadda climb over stuff to read what it sez onnit:

Empire HellHound 370 <-- It came with a scope. But I gotta tellya: Target shooting with repetitive reloadings will beat the crap outa a guy born (on probation) in 1940.

I like it when the grandlings show up and everybody gets to load the sumbitch. And load it for me, too, while I'm standing there looking like Sanford.

The main two drawbacks?

I spent hours looking for a crossbow and ended up with a mini chainsaw. I guess I got sidetracked.

Pretty much.any scope that matches the mounts will work pick anything you like?
I currently have a 3-9 rifle scope on mine and noticed a panoply of crossbow scope choices on line, but Walt says his has calibration lines for distance, so I want to check it out. I like them because they make for a faster second shot, following the ranging round or more accurate first shot without touching the elevation dial if you know the distance.

Latest posts

Back