The purpose of the male?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

resevil83

Reaction score
So, I have a couple of questions. First off, if I plant a couple of seeds and I notice after the third or fourth week in the vegetative stage that I have some males on my hands, what do I do with them? Just throw them out? They don't produce buds? I figured the purpose of a male would be to have a female of one strain and male of the other and plant them close together so the pollen spreads to the female plant and then you would get a cross strain right? I don't understand of the importance of the male plant.

Also, don't average marijuana plants when in the flowering stage grow about 5 feet tall? I have about a 2'X'4 area and wanted to grow just one plant. If I did multiple clones of the female plant I would then have myself several large plants on my hands correct? I would not want that because I have no room for that many.

wow.. long question with a long answer.. ill try to take this one and make it short and to tha point.. here goes..

first off, most likely you wont be able to tell the M from the F in veg.. at all.. they dont really show sex untill they are in flower.. once you find out which ones are M you have a few options depending on what you want to do.. the most common is to take all the M plants and chop them.. cut them down and throw them away.. reason being, they will produce pollen and pregnate the F plants (for lack of better words)... The M plants do NOT produce bud.. they grow little bundles of pollen sacks.. The sacks will be very obvious around the 3d week of flower.. you will clearly be able to see the ones with lil sacks and the ones with lil buds and lots of white hairs.. The puropse of the M is exactly what you said, to pollenate the F for reproduction (Seeds)... with M and F togather you get bud with seeds of the same stran or with mixed M and F strans you will get a cross between the 2.. No M plants at all and you get sensimila (without seed) bud.. So idealy you would just pick out a F, clone her, and then use a clone to be a mother producing batches of clones for crops...

Plant height is gonna be dif from stran to stran.. example.. i have a crop of Krystal and BIG BUD growing under the same light.. both cloned and put into bud at the same time.. The big bud is about a foot taller than the krystal going into the 3d week of flower.. So i have to supercrop the taller plants to keep them all the same level.. Also the height of the plants during flower will depend on how big they are when put into flower, and how much light they are geting.. the smaller they are when put into flower the smaller they will be overall.. The more light they get and the closer the light is to them the shorter they will be.. This is because the plants want that light.. put a plant off to the left off the light and it will bend over to the right to reach it.. Therefor if the light is very close to the plant it will be happy and not grow as tall.. If the light is far away from the plant it will grow taller, faster trying to reach the light to get more of it..

If i were you i would just grow one plant in the space that you have, watch it, learn from it, figure out how tall it will get and how wide, then figure out how many you think you can fit in your grow space and go from there.. If your first plant turns out to be F, clone her and take your best looking clone, after they have grown roots, to be your mother.. let her grow while your other plant flower, take clones from the mother about 2 weeks before the first plant is due to be done and root them.. Then figure out how many you want in your space for your second crop and you will already have your clones ready to fill that space..

Hope this helpd and good luck

The average rule of thumb is that when you put a plant into flower mode it will grow 2.5 to 3 times its height when put into flower till harvest, so devide your grow height by 3 and that is how tall you want the plant to be when you put it into flower.

Also there is far more to breeding than just putting a male and female next to each other.

A 2 x 4 space is a decent sized space for 2-4 plants. What are your plans for lighting and ventilation?

IMO if your lighting is not high enough in lumes per square foot, male will show due to low light. Female are not far behind. If this is the case, add more lights. It won't hurt the plants

GREEN MOJO TO YOU

I plan to get a cabinet from lowes with these dimensions... 70-1/2"H x 23-3/4"W x 16-1/2"D

I then want to get a 250 watt mini system with a 250 watt hps son agro bulb. I'm having a little trouble finding the bulb online and I am not sure exactly what brand HID-HPS kit I'm going to get, I'm looking for good/reputable brands now.

As far as cooling goes, I haven't done much research about that yet.

ok so I got the cabinet. When I put it together there is an unadjusted shelf that splits the thing in two. The top section is 3 feet and the bottom is 2 feet four inches. Should I just cut that middle shelf? If i did'nt cut the shelf I would need to make a custom light hood so it would be very short. I can't have a 2.5 foot flowering plant can I? I wanted to grow white widow!

okay make it easy for you resvil83....

if you want buds with seeds, save the males, put it in woods somewhere for later... and learn how to crossing it from this site... but if you do not want seeds in the buds, kill the males.. simple as it is..

I'm sorry, I should have made a new post... I just didn't want to take up more space making another post. I was asking about the answer made by hippyinengland really. I was wondering about the growth height of the plant. He gave me the rule of thumb to go by

"The average rule of thumb is that when you put a plant into flower mode it will grow 2.5 to 3 times its height when put into flower till harvest, so devide your grow height by 3 and that is how tall you want the plant to be when you put it into flower."

My question is, if I forced the plant to flower at such a short height wouldn't the harvest be much smaller? OR isn't this bad for the plant? I feel like the plants need to be a specific height for them to be "normal, or healthy"

resevil83 said:
I'm sorry, I should have made a new post... I just didn't want to take up more space making another post. I was asking about the answer made by hippyinengland really. I was wondering about the growth height of the plant. He gave me the rule of thumb to go by

"The average rule of thumb is that when you put a plant into flower mode it will grow 2.5 to 3 times its height when put into flower till harvest, so devide your grow height by 3 and that is how tall you want the plant to be when you put it into flower."

My question is, if I forced the plant to flower at such a short height wouldn't the harvest be much smaller? OR isn't this bad for the plant? I feel like the plants need to be a specific height for them to be "normal, or healthy"

You're going to get varied "opinions" on that res'...
"I" personally believe, that you should veg them to sexual maturity( either alternating nodes, or pre-flowers) before setting to flower.. but there are those here, that start seedlings on 12/12, and seem to have no complaints.

resevil83, u need to go online to stealthhydroponics.com, they have a wide selection from bubblers to swichable HPS/MH 1000w grow lights. Great prices an, great products. i my self got the Dual Spectrum II High Output Fluorescent Light Kit with monster 8600 lums per light. they are replacment bulbs u can by from them for any setup, that are desined for opim growing, with both red an blue spectrum's!!!

As far as when to start flowing its compley up to u. if u want a small bushy plant u set to flower after the first month of growing with just 1 week veggie time. u wanna grow a 8 foot plant, with a yeid of 400+grams veggie time of up to 3 months might be requred. thats the best part of growing indoors. u control evey aspect of the growing. an u controle how big your plant will be.

Latest posts

Back