The Shocked journal

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shocked

Reaction score
Ok, posting all my info will take some but it will be cool to hear your opinions on what I am doing.

Here are my basics:

I have an area 8ft by 5ft that I am using
1 400w MH
1 2x4 flourescent with warm and cool white bulbs
2 2X4 flourescent with cool white bulbs

currently i have 1 at 13wks 2 at 11 wks 2 at 5 wks 1 at 1 week and 4 more germ-ing. (all in soil)

As for strains, I'm not certain. Most of the good bud that comes around is completely seedless and I really don't have a good plan for getting some good seeds.

The 13 wk is not as large as I think it should be, it's in a 2 gallon.

I have a waterfarm but have failed twice with my cuttings. I cannot wait to start some hydro.

I'll get some pics up later today.

I have an area 8ft by 5ft that I am using
1 400w MH
1 2x4 fluorescent with warm and cool white bulbs
2 2X4 fluorescent with cool white bulbs

You have an area of 40 square feet. At 5,000 lumens per/square foot, you have enough for at the most, 10 square feet of plant. If you're going to grow in the entire area, you'll need to get much more light going. The flo's are good for vegging your little ones, but won't be worth much later. To arrive at the proper lighting, you'll need about 2,000 watts covering your grow area. I would suggest using 5 400 watt lights that are spaced out like the numbers on a dice. That will give you the amount of light for that size area. When you go to flowering, you'll need to have HPS to get the most out of your plants. Is the ballast on your current 400 a switchable?

currently i have 1 at 13wks 2 at 11 wks 2 at 5 wks 1 at 1 week and 4 more germ-ing. (all in soil)

As for strains, I'm not certain. Most of the good bud that comes around is completely seedless and I really don't have a good plan for getting some good seeds.

Lots of seed banks are available. I would advise you to order several small orders if you're going to do that. That way, if one or two of your orders get stolen by some post office puke, or the cops, or whatever, you haven't got all your eggs in one basket.

The 13 wk is not as large as I think it should be, it's in a 2 gallon.

A 5 gallon container would be more beneficial to the plant and make watering and using nutrients much easier.

I have a waterfarm but have failed twice with my cuttings. I cannot wait to start some hydro.

Are you using a rooting hormone and an antibacterial solution for your cuttings? If you do that, you should have no problems.

Good luck man! I hope everything works out for you.

You have an area of 40 square feet. At 5,000 lumens per/square foot, you have enough for at the most, 10 square feet of plant. If you're going to grow in the entire area, you'll need to get much more light going. The flo's are good for vegging your little ones, but won't be worth much later. To arrive at the proper lighting, you'll need about 2,000 watts covering your grow area. I would suggest using 5 400 watt lights that are spaced out like the numbers on a dice. That will give you the amount of light for that size area. When you go to flowering, you'll need to have HPS to get the most out of your plants. Is the ballast on your current 400 a switchable?

I do have the space divided in half the flourescents are a part of a two tier kinda set up for the smaller ones with the mh on the other side for the larger. I have a 3x6 area framed in for the flowering period, (have a hps for that) As for upping the ballast I have access to all kinds of lighting supply, so what do you think would be best? 1 1000w?

Are you using a rooting hormone and an antibacterial solution for your cuttings? If you do that, you should have no problems.

Rooting hormone yes, but hearing about an antibacterial solution is new to me. Is this the 5% bleach-1 gal water solution?

Shocked said:
I do have the space divided in half the flourescents are a part of a two tier kinda set up for the smaller ones with the mh on the other side for the larger. I have a 3x6 area framed in for the flowering period, (have a hps for that) As for upping the ballast I have access to all kinds of lighting supply, so what do you think would be best? 1 1000w?

Rooting hormone yes, but hearing about an antibacterial solution is new to me. Is this the 5% bleach-1 gal water solution?

No, no bleach in a cloning solution. This is sold by most of the hydro shops.

Lumens per/sq ft. That's the story. 5,000 is best. 3,000 minumum.

Halides for vegging HPS for vegging or flowering.

A spread of smaller HPS or Halides is always best for even growth.

Gain your lumen needs in an equally spaced set of smaller lights. As long as the lumens per/sq ft is at 5,000, you've maxed out your light.

Ok, think i may do a little re-design later on. For now I turned off one of the 2x2's and cirled the 400W with my four biggest. After just a couple of days they really started to balloon out, lol.

Decided to take my 1 wk out of soil and put it into the waterfarm. (crosses fingers)

Two of my five older plants have shown to be male :( but atleast I have three fems. I should be putting them to 12/12 later next week. The seedling I transplanted into the waterfarm is looking better everyday and seems to have taken a liking to its new home. Started two new clones yesterday, buried the rockwool in vermerculite (sp?, it early lol) so we'll see if that works any better. I have not covered them tho with plastic, how will this effect my success? Bought another waterfarm this week and should get it next Wednesday so I'm pretty amped about that :) Pics are coming.

well, guess that plastic bag is needed cause both cuttings wilted overnight. Guess the humidity is needed. And I used perlite to bury the rockwool not vermiculite like I had said earlier.

Can someone please post me a product link on some good antibacterial solution? Thanks.

Alot has gone on since my last update.

My oldest is two weeks into flowering, right now it is about three foot tall and three foot wide :) . My first hydro is almost a foot tall and almost a month old and looking very good. I have two other fems veggin, one is almost 13 wks, been taking clippings from this one and putting them in my diy bubble cloner, the other is at 9 wks. I also started a dwc where my first clone now happily resides, been there for about 2 wks.

Latest posts

Back