Thinking question, (jury duty)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

weed power

Reaction score
What would you do if you received a jury duty summons AND you were selected to hear a case about marijuana cultivation?

What would you do, knowing you also grow it?

I’m not in this situation but it is a screwed up situation when I think about it lol.

Tough Question.
I don't blame cops when someone gets busted...they are doing there job.
I don't blame lawyers either. I blame the lawmakers themselves. But as a Jury member you have an obligation to look at the letter of the law and decide if that person broke it...thats our job as a US citizen. Does that make the jury member a traitor or narc...no. When I decided to grow I knew the risks involved. The Jury cannot look at the moral side of it. Even tho they do...its look at the law and evidence.
To fight for decrim or legalization....we have to go after the lawmakers. Not Crim court...crim court...here's the law, you broke it, now pay.
Sentencing, laws is what we must fight not the DA or police...they are bound (even tho disregarded by the blue line) to uphold those laws (now thas a joke...but my point is there).
So I would have to look at the situation...If it was a commercial op for profit I would probably be a lil hardnosed about it...small grow for med use I would allow me feelings govern my decision which would be for leniency...but not commercial greed, shoulda been more careful.

Don't get me wrong here...I want MJ to be decriminalized. Treated for what it is...a plant. But, we do live in a society...anarchy would not be an answer...fighting it within the system would be the only way I think it would win.

P.S. Please do not use words that are filtered out by adding an asteric. Thank you.

And on a side note:
This is a political question but is weed related...please keep it civil in this thread. THANKS.

I agree,
This is easy to say, but so very difficult to deal with.
smoke in peace
KingKahuuna

This is more than an issue of right and wrong, or even civic responsibility. Mutt, I respect everything you say here, and it is the high road. BUT when we do what we do, we do it with the idea that it is the law that is wrong and not us. That narrow minded people who have made are laws are wrong. That there is good in a plant, that there is hope, and salvation for a world gone a stray. Our legal system is supposed to reflect the times and the will of the people. And when it doesn't WE need to say NO I will not convict someone to 10 years in prison, no matter what the laws is. It is the difference between and educted and informed society verus one ruled by a blind faith and reactionary molar majority. Sorry for the rant. There was a book I read along time ago, 8th grade I think called "Rules for Radicals" and the bottom line was...the system only works...if you let it.

umbra said:
This is more than an issue of right and wrong, or even civic responsibility. Mutt, I respect everything you say here, and it is the high road. BUT when we do what we do, we do it with the idea that it is the law that is wrong and not us. That narrow minded people who have made are laws are wrong. That there is good in a plant, that there is hope, and salvation for a world gone a stray. Our legal system is supposed to reflect the times and the will of the people. And when it doesn't WE need to say NO I will not convict someone to 10 years in prison, no matter what the laws is. It is the difference between and educted and informed society verus one ruled by a blind faith and reactionary molar majority. Sorry for the rant. There was a book I read along time ago, 8th grade I think called "Rules for Radicals" and the bottom line was...the system only works...if you let it.

Yes, but when your called for jury duty they ask you your opinions...typically us growers would never be picked anyway. LOL
Like I said depends on the curcumstances. I would be against prosecution of the person growing there own or supplying meds to someone in need. But Commercial growers with booby traps and crap...I don't have much use for em to begin with...they actually hurt more than help our cuase..They don't plaster the med user busts on the news...they go show the major ops and push how much $$ they are getting...Not at least what I'm about.
I would do everything in my power not to be on the jury. But if no other choice I would look at it objectively.
Unfortunetly the law is not correct. The legal aspect of MJ must be changed, but till then it is where it is and when someone decides to grow they should take this into account that it is possible to get prison term...right or wrong the risk is there when we sprouted our first seed. I would expect no mercy if I got busted...would hope for it but would not expect it...I am breaking the law and am willing to pay the price if need be. I know in a way I would be looking at less time and fines if I just bought my herb....but that has its own inherent risks. Its the world were in right now...I don't think the law really gives a crap if its right or wrong...It's the law till our voice is loud enough for them to change it.
I have no faith in the system....none what so ever. Why I won't sit by and let them govern what I think is right or wrong...otherwise I wouldnt be growing. I do not have a blind faith to it...I guess I'm a realist when it comes to law.

the system only works...if you let it.
going against the law on your personal verdict...then wouldn't that be the same as the lawmakers ignoring the people plea for legalization? We are ignoring them...why not ignore us.
This is a very hard topic....Only time I ever see a "gray" area is in the govt....pretty much everything else is black and white till you get into that mess.
I agree that its wrong peeps going to prison. I just don't know what I'd do...it would depends on what curcumstances the case involves.

Mutt, I also have no respect for commercial grower armed with AK47s using forced labor in US parks and the such. On this forum there aren't too many commercial growers that would fit that description. And I do believe in America and the legal system too. And you are right that none of us would fit the criteria for such a jury, being growers or even sympathatic to growers. But this why its not just a back or white answer. It truly is food for thought. Peace

Ive read with interest, deciding to keep political comments to a minimum, so its best i let this one pass, great post Weed Power, Mutt, as always i hear what your saying, and KK, you soooo remind me of my grandfather lmao.

Hey there Hippy,
Your Grandpa huh ? OK, I have reminded lots of people of lots of things, LOL , but this is a first. No offense taken Ha-Ha, feel like a Grandpa sometimes.

This is thin ice for a bit of subject matter, I agree with Mutt that we have a civic duty as well as a moral responsibility to one another. I believe that those are the key words; "A moral and civic responsibility to one another" .
Without that we are doomed. Since we don't like the laws pertaining to MJ, then damn it, CHANGE THEM by VOTING. It has to start here at home.
On a personnal note, I would be dismissed so fast, but that is another venue.

smoke in peace
KingKahuuna

Smooth goddog,
Good Humor will always lighten the load, and perhaps a hoober
will illuminate the path.
smoke in peace
KingKahuuna

I would not care if it was one plant or 100,000 plants ,,,the government has no right to stop people from growing weed (other then they have made it illegal ),,,I don’t care the situation ,,,,,,,god gave us this plant ,,,,,the government makes criminals of us all,,,,not all people can grow weed some have no other choice than street dealers ,,,,,I don’t pass judgment on people ,,,,I am the same for growing 15 plants as a guy who grows 1,000 plants ,,,,I don’t hate people for making money,,,,,if the government did not make it illegal ,,,these guys would be nothing more then farmers ,,,,I would sit on this jury and do every thing I could do to find the guy not guilty ,,,,forced labor is another story,,,but when criminals are running the show things like that happen ,,,,if it were legal they would be paying those poor people not using them as forced labor ,,,,grow as much as you want as long as no violence ,,,may god be on your side ,,,,,,,,,p,l,r

idk i think if your that concerned about it being illegal, move to a state where it is, 12 of us havent passed it for nothing, all we need to do is show the fed that their is legit illness's that benefits by the use of marijuana, come on big 50!
kk you remind me of your picture:ccc:

I would be dismissed on the first round. When they asked if I could send a person to jail for growing Marijuana, I'd calmly and in a very civil tone, tell them that I would rather be on a jury prosecuting the person who made marijuana illegal and there is no way I could help prosecute anyone who was arrested for growing it.

Two seconds after saying that, I'd be dismissed. Rightfully so. I would have told the truth and I would have said nothing illegal or not within my own beliefs.

Here is your men POTUS :D Now go :hitchair: there tail (might have to dig em up first :rofl:

Hemp, or cannabis, or marijuana was outlawed in 1937 because it threatened the nation-less corporate interests of - William Randolph Hearst ­ and - DuPont. They had to get rid of the competition. - Hearst's yellow journalism newspaper chain wrote scathing stories about "marijuana" - a word he made up - because he knew no one would believe them about hemp, which George Washington himself grew hemp.
On April 14, 1937, the Prohibitive Marihuana Tax Law or the bill that outlawed hemp was directly brought to the House Ways and Means Committee. This committee is the only one that can introduce a bill to the House floor without it being debated by other committees. The Chairman of the Ways and Means, Robert Doughton, was a Dupont supporter. He insured that the bill would pass Congress.

http://www.venusproject.com/ethics_in_action/Real_Reason_Hemp_Illegal.html

Mutt said:
Here is your men POTUS :D Now go :hitchair: there tail (might have to dig em up first

Yeah, there were a lot of dumb butts back then. Of course, the old blue laws were all in effect then as well. We've gotten rid of 95% of them. Now it's time to get rid of the stupid MJ laws also.

Ever see that old black and white movie " 12 Angry Men". The whole movie is set in one room. It tells the story of how 1 juror convinces the other 11 of a mans innocence.

This is the stance I would take. I would try to convince the others. If I could not convince the others, and a verdict could not be reached, the judge would have to dismiss the jury and assign a new one. Then it would not be my fault if a less educated jury convicted the man.

If any of you young uns have not seen 12 Angry Men, it's an absolute classic. It must be seen. RBH

Hey this looks to me like this is getting political .obviously strong opinions with good points which are at odds with one another
We all are obligated to do what we think is ethically correct , and no one travels the exact same path.

I'll let you guys decide to have it closed...If it stays herb orientated and not heated I will leave it open. If you guys are done with it I will close it...up to you guys...not many are subscribed to it.

weed power said:
What would you do if you received a jury duty summons AND you were selected to hear a case about marijuana cultivation?

What would you do, knowing you also grow it?

I’m not in this situation but it is a screwed up situation when I think about it lol.
Not Guilty Would be my Answer!
For reals if I were u try to get out of it, I myself wouldn't feel GOOD if other finds him Quilty.!!!

But if he a big grower and steal the elect well then Quilty on Stealling..
Sorry folks but Stealling is Wrong and so is what I doing too but I am Not out to make money or Steal elect... I pay my Elect on time.
I just want to have fun growing my few babys Girls.:D

Latest posts

Back