to flush or not to flush?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

popart

Reaction score
This is my first hydro grow and I'm getting close to harvest (I think). My trichs are standing up (or protruding ?!) and they are very white. So the next phase is amber/white - right? Do I change the water to only water, no nutes now?

popart said:
This is my first hydro grow and I'm getting close to harvest (I think). My trichs are standing up (or protruding ?!) and they are very white. So the next phase is amber/white - right? Do I change the water to only water, no nutes now?

Morning... by white you mean cloudy eh... the next phase would be cloudy amber yes, but you will still see the odd clear one around...

as far as flushing goes.. its up to you.. some swear by it some dont... how was your grow?? good?? no nute lock, hardcore burn???? since its your first grow.. dont flush and cure it proper.. next grow flush and see if you notice a diference...
i dont waste the water at the end... i dont change my res out till i pull my ladies....
hope this helps in some which way or another..
take care and play safe
LH

LOL I'm glad you know who hasn't seen this thread :p

Personally I flush and if life permits and I have enough time after xmas I will be setting up a little experiment that will shed some light on what benefits flushing has vs not flushing if any. This is all I will say on the topic before all the **** throwing starts.

Tater said:
Personally I flush and if life permits and I have enough time after xmas I will be setting up a little experiment that will shed some light on what benefits flushing has vs not flushing if any. This is all I will say on the topic before all the **** throwing starts.

LOL i like that " the ****" will be flung... LOL

heated topic always is always will be...hehehehe
personal choice... is the way i look at it.
be sweet to see what you come up with...
LH

IMO flushing forces the plant to use up stored nutrients , not all nutrients can be moved within the plant for instance nitrogen , which is the main factor in bad tasting bud can be moved within the plant, if not present in the root zone the plant will take it from older leaves hence the yellowing , calcium however cannot be moved within the plant , i could go on about calcium but a calcium deficiency in later stages could therefore adversely effect trichome production , so in later stages of flowering i dont use nitrogen i see no need to flush , especially for 7 to 10 days JMO

The most common answer for flushing is "Yes" but here's my thoughts on it...The reasoning being we are attempting to force the plant to use "All" available food for finishing its "normal life cycle". Thus by "water only" the plant has too use whats left.

viper said:
IMO flushing forces the plant to use up stored nutrients , not all nutrients can be moved within the plant for instance nitrogen , which is the main factor in bad tasting bud can be moved within the plant, if not present in the root zone the plant will take it from older leaves hence the yellowing , calcium however cannot be moved within the plant , i could go on about calcium but a calcium deficiency in later stages could therefore adversely effect trichome production , so in later stages of flowering i dont use nitrogen i see no need to flush , especially for 7 to 10 days JMO

According to Robert Clarke the main reason for harsh smoke and bad bud as you say isn't nitrogen but magnesium. Also if you want to read a good book on soil health that expresses the importance of calcium read The Albrecht Papers.

hzzp://openlibrary.org/b/OL1749387M/Albrecht_papers

Heres a little blurb on the man.

hzzps://www.earthmentor.com/principles_of_balance/doctor_albrecht_papers/

the hot topic! i usually keep my res till the end i lower the concentartion of nitrogen by topping with water and 0-nitrogen ferts the plants become deficient but i never give them just water. the speed of deterioration when i give them only water leads me to believe that i'm surely not doing it right. when i first started growig i flushed but i changed that habit with experience. when you give them only water the whole bud gets affected and you don't want that however many growers swear that flushing is beneficial for the smoke taste. i cant back my findings with science neither can flushers so i just go with what seems to work for me... cheers

I use Clearex myself, for the last 5 days.

I have also flushed occassionally during the grow, if the plants showed some overnuting (<-new word?).

But it depends on the system you are using as well. I am at 1150ppm (TDS) the last week or 2, using Rockwool. You need to flush that out some.

I hope this helps.

Jonesy

If you do 'flush' with plain water the last week before harvest i suggest that you back off on the amount of water you feed your plants. I've found that pouring on copious amounts of water can contribute to making conditions more moist and buds more prone to botrytis - bud rot when the buds are very dense and in the 11th hour just before harvest. I dont use nutes when i grow in subcool soil but i tend to water lighter and more more frequent the last week rather than really saturate the soil like I do during flowering before the ripening process.

Happy Growing!:cool:

I dont go with if it is yellow keep it mellow, here it is flush in any case.

I grow soil, and have tried the flush/no flush, no difference. The smoothest smoke is the well cured smoke here.

Latest posts

Back