To Foliar or not to Foliar that is the question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I foliar spray, I use Mineral Matrix, a Micro nutrient supplement, Foliar spraying gives me a good oportunity to look closely, most of the problems I find during the misting process, gives me a opertunity to turn,move,rotate, keep the playing field even, remove dead growth etc. I like the hands on stuff, for me foliar spraying is about prevention, I stop after the buds start forming though.During this process I usually choose which cuttings I'm gonna take for clones, I like playing with the plants I guess, It's a MJ PaSSION !!

docfishwrinkle said:
comp tea is great for many things but just a few are that it keeps insects & molds at bay which is huge. ive just started playing w/ amino & fulvic acids as foliars & if you time it just right before a feeding you can get explosive growth in soil. benefits of aminos are:
- Increases concentration of cholophyll which leads to higher photosynthesis in the plants.
- Helps to increase mineralization of the of the organic matter.
- Increases the absoption and transportation of micronutrients throughout the plant.
- Increase of amino acids increases protein synthesis

fulvic bennies are:

-improves plant cell permeability. This means that the plant cells absorbs more nutrients
-it acts as a chelating agent; it holds nutrients such as iron, zinc, manganese, copper and other important plant nutrients 2 for the plant to absorb. Chelation in the soil improves nutrient availability to your growing plants.

OK Doc- so I got the soluble fulvic and amino's. Have not fed with drench so far, only foilar. I'll keep you posted.

One thing about the fulvic though- very strong smell- like I'm brewing a big batch of soy sauce.

When i open a bottle of ferts/addies and they smell strong i think that it should be good stuff because it is concentrated.

Most of the things that i use in the plants are almost black in colour. Except Bloombastic that is green :eek:

BBFan said:
I always foilar feed right up to the first few weeks of flower. My favorite is a mix of kelp for indoors. Outdoors I like to use an active compost tea.

But I guess I'm in the minority here. Works great for me though.

You might be in the minority, but you're not alone BB.

Although I don't grow outdoors, I like to use compost tea as a foliar spray on my indoor plants. Of course, once they start to flower, I stop all spraying.

I do know that tomatoes absolutely love it.

BB i think the aminos are the smelly ones. when i bubble, it reminds me of dirty gym socks. yeah i can pick up on the soy w/ the FA. only do 1 or the other in a week. i was mixing 3.5g of fulvic, 1oz amino, 4drops dish soap (surfractant) to 1gal 2oz ro. this ratio works good as a foliar for me. im going to go lighter after i use up my mix to see if i can save. i misread my calendar & had done a foliar & a drench 4 days apart & i'll tell yell they're too green. N toxicity just started to show a lil. they're stable now but def slowed growth. i've only been giving ro, hygrozyme, & molasses for 2 wks now...lol.

docfishwrinkle said:
BB i think the aminos are the smelly ones. when i bubble, it reminds me of dirty gym socks. yeah i can pick up on the soy w/ the FA. only do 1 or the other in a week. i was mixing 3.5g of fulvic, 1oz amino, 4drops dish soap (surfractant) to 1gal 2oz ro. this ratio works good as a foliar for me. im going to go lighter after i use up my mix to see if i can save. i misread my calendar & had done a foliar & a drench 4 days apart & i'll tell yell they're too green. N toxicity just started to show a lil. they're stable now but def slowed growth. i've only been giving ro, hygrozyme, & molasses for 2 wks now...lol.

Thanks Doc. I used both in one mix- FA and AA. Really left the grow room smelling like soy sauce.

What do you think could have caused the N toxicity? I made a foilar of 1 tsp. of FA and 1 tsp. of AA to a quart spray bottle. Applied daily for 5 days. Haven't seen any signs of toxicity. Using a kelp spray this week.

thanks for that tip BHO. i didnt think of buying a surfractant so i had to use a lil soap.

BB, yeah i dunno, but they were/are showing N tox. must of been on the soil drench as there was probably N in soil not used &/or the nutes that i applied w/ the drench. i would def half the nutes when going that route. so live and learn. i did go less w/ the nutes but not half. you'd think that i'd learn to not play too much when i need to be on a tight schedule. going to negril in beginning of march. cant wait since its been 12 yrs since ive been outside the states, other than CA(nada)

Latest posts

Back