To Top or LST... that is the question?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bluealein56

Misderected Hostilty
Reaction score
its almost that time to decide and i can make up my mind which i want to do. im not sure if i really need to do either but they both seem really cool and its my first time. just wanna experiment. i thought about doing both but i was wondering how much of a conflict that would be with light height and and even canopy. Would they all be the same height? Im using one 400w hps, with mh conversion bulb. Grow room is 2 feet by 3 feet and about 6 or 7 feet high of grow space. right now i have 4 plants in one gallon buckets and two female clones of a good strand, hopefully they root. i will trim down on the amount of plants once i sex all. any suggestions?
:ccc:

:ciao:eek:kay do both on one plant..Top it then spread her legs..oops.:giggle: sorry branches and make her do the splits..:rofl: I :heart: to Tie my Ladies down..and I am sure they like it too..just give a shout my friend ill help you:bolt::bong:

4u2sm0ke said:
:ciao:eek:kay do both on one plant..Top it then spread her legs..oops.:giggle: sorry branches and make her do the splits..:rofl: I :heart: to Tie my Ladies down..and I am sure they like it too..just give a shout my friend ill help you:bolt::bong:

well your actually one of the reasons i wanted to try lst in the first place. I read through most all of your last lst thread. sorry it didnt turn out so well for ya.if i lst and top could i keep continously doing both throughout veg? or would too much trainning put too much stress on them?

yeah it happens..when you do one from seed..I do Lst all the time..and will do another thread with a clone..Maybe with the "Chrystal" female that just showed at week 4:clap:;) or maybe one of the "Purple Bud" Have fun playing with her. Shes a tough Girl:cool: and if you stap an arm or leg...dont worry..some call that super croping:giggle:

I never got to take that last one into flower and finish..Im sorry and the other threads i had are gone..heres what i do...i continue LST and stop 1 week b4 going into flower..after the stretch..I remove all restraints..and I dont do anything after that...i have found that some strains are more tollerant then others..this is the Fun part of our Hobby:hubba: Take care and be safe

014.JPG

017.JPG

019.JPG

its all about your interest...when you top your splitting the main branch in 2 as it steady climbs up,with lst of course your eliminating the rise up and that seems preferable with your grow room height.but as 4u states above top then spread.there is another post(sorry i dont have the link)on here about some spiraling lst technique that i would recommend with topping while lsting.as you top and it splits i would lst the outer main stem on the outer surface area followed by the inner main stem running along the side of the outer stem in the same fashion creating a dual spiral.sounds neat anyways.haha

I use both methods on every grow.

Use LST to bring the branches to every possible spot of your grow area. The goal is to fill your grow area with top buds.

Once your primary branches are all spread completely around your grow area, then top until your grow area is covered with branches that are about 4 inches apart in each direction.

It's that easy.

A couple of pointers:

1. Be careful when pulling your branches over during LST. Almost everyone breaks one on every grow. Don't freak. Tie it back together and support it and it'll heal. Just try to not do this. Pull very gently, a little each day.

2. Allow 3 nodes between toppings. Top after the third node, right at the crotch of the upper part of the node. Cut clean with a razor blade or very sharp scissors.

Good luck to you!

Here's a post showing what it should look like when you're done:

Stoney's Aurora Indica LST

POTUS said:
I use both methods on every grow.

Use LST to bring the branches to every possible spot of your grow area. The goal is to fill your grow area with top buds.

Once your primary branches are all spread completely around your grow area, then top until your grow area is covered with branches that are about 4 inches apart in each direction.

It's that easy.

A couple of pointers:

1. Be careful when pulling your branches over during LST. Almost everyone breaks one on every grow. Don't freak. Tie it back together and support it and it'll heal. Just try to not do this. Pull very gently, a little each day.

2. Allow 3 nodes between toppings. Top after the third node, right at the crotch of the upper part of the node. Cut clean with a razor blade or very sharp scissors.

Good luck to you!

Here's a post showing what it should look like when you're done:

Stoney's Aurora Indica LST

that is a beast of a plant. It sounds like you would have a hundred colas by topping after lst.lol:D.

i guess i just wanna know more about doin both of these processes together and weather it would cause too much stress for the plant to turn male

4u2sm0ke said:
yeah it happens..when you do one from seed..I do Lst all the time..and will do another thread with a clone..Maybe with the "Chrystal" female that just showed at week 4:clap:;) or maybe one of the "Purple Bud" Have fun playing with her. Shes a tough Girl:cool: and if you stap an arm or leg...dont worry..some call that super croping:giggle:

I never got to take that last one into flower and finish..Im sorry and the other threads i had are gone..heres what i do...i continue LST and stop 1 week b4 going into flower..after the stretch..I remove all restraints..and I dont do anything after that...i have found that some strains are more tollerant then others..this is the Fun part of our Hobby:hubba: Take care and be safe

Is that picture from a plant that has been topped then lst?

Sounds Like ur grow is going well and u have most things under control, I have by the sounds of things a pretty simular set up too you and just thought id let you know i had very little experiance of Lst and topping but i gave it a bash and it all went along luvverly Jubberly....

Firstly i just topped the top of the plant & tied down 1 branch either side using the traditional methods and my plant turned out brilliant and most my other plants i now top before i flower....
Also 1 more thing i used 1 Gallon buckets on my 1st Grow and now im on my second grow i would certainly reccomend u get a bit smaller pots as i feel that the water and food get to the roots alot quicker and easier and also its not so much of a squeeze when u have a few plants in there......

Check out my grow to see some pics :)

bluealein56 said:
Is that picture from a plant that has been topped then lst?

No LST Mother Plant...she gave birth to 18 clones while in veg..then flowered...Just like my " 4u2sm0ke LST " this years was Male..But thats how i do Most..last season i did the Top and split a few times...made the plant go to edges and wraped around untill they met on the other side..have fun and keep us posted;)

bluealein56 said:
that is a beast of a plant. It sounds like you would have a hundred colas by topping after lst.lol:D.
If I recall correctly, it had about 250 tops total for the room. That's with 4 plants.

When growing marijuana, patience and knowledge are the two most needed components of a maximized harvest.

Starting a grow without the knowledge and then trying to rush it to harvest are exactly the opposite of what is needed.

well i guess i know what im gonna do now. im still drooling thinking about 250 tops from just 4 plants. thanks for this good info

I wanna live in that room of stoney's with those hundreds of tops!!! :shocked:

IMO you can over do it on LST and topping and end up with alot of small buds.
Either way you do it give it vegg time to beef up the new growth.

POTUS said:
If I recall correctly, it had about 250 tops total for the room. That's with 4 plants.

When growing marijuana, patience and knowledge are the two most needed components of a maximized harvest.

Starting a grow without the knowledge and then trying to rush it to harvest are exactly the opposite of what is needed.

How long did you veg those for?

bluealein56 said:
How long did you veg those for?
I don't remember how long it was. I never "time" anything in a grow. I do whatever is necessary to create the final harvest. In this case, I vegged them until they reached 18" tall. At that point, I put them into flower. I know from past experience that they will finish at the maximum height of my grow area and thus max out my grow. Every top in that room was at least 4 to 6 inches long. The room is 3.5' x 5.5' and using two 430 watt HPS, that grow produced 19 ounces of cured weed. Almost all tops.

im glad you mentioned this. i too need to remember not to try and rush things, such as watering, fertilizing, topping etc... and just let the plant do its thing and help it out along the way in a conservative manner. thanks

Latest posts

Back