Too soon to start??

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hetfield_08

Reaction score
Hey everyone, I'm getting a little anxious about the upcoming season and I'm ready to start a couple plants outside. I just looked at the forecast and it's supposed to stay above 40F for the low for atleast the next week and a half, would this be too cold for seedlings?

if your in that big of a hurry to start i would say start them indoors under a few cfls. that way if you do have a few nights that get below 40 your fine. i have a few clones left im gonna put outdoors but the days are still a little short in my area. i would think as long as it stays above 32F you'd be ok just don't expect much growth till the temps get up a bit higher. but i would for sure start them indoors for the first week or two just to be safe.. good luck

I would say YES!!!!... What ever is your last frost date that is the norm for your area..... wait for a couple weeks after that at least.....

Would SUCK to lose all your newly popped babies to a late frost eh?

Ive got my outdoor grow started but I am keeping them indoors for a couple more weeks. I like mine to have a month of veg before I put them outdoors.

Its still too cold in my area to put out seedlings, I doubt they would germ when its 40 degrees out.

Careful you Guys,
Everyone here is going to think your all a bunch of total experts, and if so they will send you guys all the questions. LOL
I think you are all right there on the money with germing indoors and giving the babies a couple of weeks headstart. Just plain smart thinking.

smoke in peace
KingKahuuna:cool:

Latitude 25 - 35 degrees: I reckon now is about right. I can see that my outdoor hybrid, which was in veg and went into flower, is now changing back to veg again, which tells me that if you start outside now you should be safe. For the above latitude zone, that is!

I live around latitude 34 or 35 and we most always have a frost in april. Ive even seen it snow once in april . If I put any plants out doors I would make sure I could cover them with a 5 Gal bucket. As for me I will start mine indoors and put them outside on sunny days and bring them inside on cold nights. Good beans are to expensive to take a big chance on and at this latitidue the growing season runs till mid Nov . :)

I would wait to go 100% outdoors jsut yet. Pop and grow inside under the floros and take them outside to sunbathe if you can. I period of hardiening off will do them a world of good. Exposing smell plants to extreme temps is not the best way to get started. Anyway good luck in all that you do.

You dont want your plants outside if the temps drop below 46 the plants stop growing. (read that in a book and it seems about right from my experience) Two weeks after the average last frost sounds bout right (me, I will put mine out the day after average last frost, but cover them at night). I start mine inside with the hours of light that will be hitting the area I live in on that day. This link will give you sunrise sunset times just add your zip. Replace xx with tt. hxxp://www.calendar-updates.com/sun.asp

Good luck

I am with the consensus, start them indoors and wait for optimal conditions out.

so is it completely out of the question to let them pop inside and break the soil then move them outside the following day and bring them in on cold nights i live in the northeast usa i would wait till the temps is about 45 at night late april early may or is that too late i dont have the option of starting them indoors

Yeah Dr that sounds just fine. We are all just thinking for maximum growth in the shortest time. Remember the bigg the plant the bigger the yield.

Hehe ... I put a seed in the coco 2 weeks ago, outside cos our temps are nice now, and ... it is now just past the 4th internode and looking plump .... and .... it has just started showing what looks very much to me like male preflowers! In fact I am sure they are, I think I have seen enough over the years to know what they look like. Still not enough daylight hours! Oh well. At least I can now pull it out of the coco and stick another seed in.

Latest posts

Back